Moron Motorists #3

biker jk

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby biker jk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 am

wellington_street wrote:I see. I don't know how that works with the reports previously which said it happened when she pulled into a driveway, went to back out and hit the accelerator. Guess we'll find out when it gets to court.

After clicking that link it makes my point even stronger though - out of all the bad/illegal driving in those photos, Ross picked the least dangerous of the lot. :lol:
While it may not have been the most egregious example of bad driving in school zones it was still illegal which you implied earlier was not the case. :)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:59 am

Last edited by Rhubarb on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:56 pm

It would be a shame....... if someone was to key your car.....with a bike bell....or get sideswiped by a truck because your car is still parked in the traffic lane on the crest of a hill.

Dumbass. :lol: :lol: :lol:

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 am

Lukeyboy wrote:It would be a shame....... if someone was to key your car.....with a bike bell....or get sideswiped by a truck because your car is still parked in the traffic lane on the crest of a hill.

Doggydoos does the trick without being destructive. :wink:

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:41 pm

elantra wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:It would be a shame....... if someone was to key your car.....with a bike bell....or get sideswiped by a truck because your car is still parked in the traffic lane on the crest of a hill.

Doggydoos does the trick without being destructive. :wink:
Report it to main roads, Im sure they would like to make some money out of it :wink:

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:27 pm

This is good:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 pm

herzog wrote:This is good:

Oh that's not good, that's AWESOME :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:57 pm

ldrcycles wrote:

Thats GOLD :-D

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Two points....

-In Australia that wouldn't happen because Australian cops think cyclists should be gutter hugging. And don't see tailgating as a problem.

-I do find it a little ridiculous that so much high vis is worn it is difficult to adequately identify the police.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:30 pm

We need a 'LIKE' button!

Here are two from today. Not exceptionally bad but still moronic imo.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:31 pm

It would have been gold if the first bit about going through the red was taken into account as well. :D Or am I not seeing it right.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=66 ... =2&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

his own car and a few bikes. i'd spew if mine was on that rack.

:evil:

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm

ldrcycles wrote:

Or at least it would have been if he'd stopped at the traffic light like he should have. Amber and then red before he'd cleared it.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:31 pm

hannos wrote: Fact of the matter is, I was driving, not you. I was there, I could see what was behind AND in front of me.
Though there are plenty here who provide video that does not support their stand. In which case the added posts are along the line of "I was there and you weren't" doesn't really mean a great deal to third parties. We go on what is first posted.

However I didn't see much to justify the moron's driving. And I didn't see a great deal to make you out as a failed driver. I suppose that you could have just let him get in. But the fact that you clearly held your line and speed does not tell me clearly that you were maintaining a macho claim to your technically legitimate postion as, for all I know, you could have been checking blind spot or watching rear driver. So I can't fault your driving as a few tohers have suggested.

The only certainty is that the other driver was acting as a tool and also driving poorly from whoa to go.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:39 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The only certainty is that the other driver was acting as a tool and also driving poorly from who to go.
That's not true, The Age says differently! The speeding car forcing a merge has right of way apparently. :wink:

"She then tried to change lanes to merge with the traffic, but a dark-coloured car, which was already in the lane, blocked her way.
The woman was unable to change lanes and smashed into a black Smart car that was parked on her left in Williams Road."

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/woman ... 32uhm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The original headline was "lane-block forces car to flip" :roll: )

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:51 pm

What a 'tard.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:55 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it was a two-way road ??

A taxi does a three-point turn. You, as the approaching vehicle, are obliged to give way as the taxi-driver was already completing his turn. Maybe you have the same rule against crossing solid lines that we have in Victoria (I don't know), but there even seems to be a break in the solid line. The driver did not unreasonably block your passage anyway, the lane was sufficiently clear to pass by safely. Lots more Australian drivers, including cyclists need to take chill-pills and deal reasonably with drivers doing lawful maneuvers.

In Castellanmare di Stabia, near Naples, I encountered a Mercedes driver doing a similar three-point turn in this street. Traffic had to stop for him from both directions. No-one honked horns nor got too stressed.

Last edited by il padrone on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:00 pm

human909 wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:The only certainty is that the other driver was acting as a tool and also driving poorly from who to go.
That's not true, The Age says differently! The speeding car forcing a merge has right of way apparently. :wink:

"She then tried to change lanes to merge with the traffic, but a dark-coloured car, which was already in the lane, blocked her way.
The woman was unable to change lanes and smashed into a black Smart car that was parked on her left in Williams Road."

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/woman ... 32uhm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The original headline was "lane-block forces car to flip" :roll: )
Funny thing how they allow these cars without brakes to be used on the roads ??? :P :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 pm

il padrone wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it was a two-way road ??

A taxi does a three-point turn. You, as the approaching vehicle, are obliged to give way as the taxi-driver was already completing his turn. Maybe you have the same rule against crossing solid lines that we have in Victoria (I don't know), but there even seems to be a break in the solid line. The driver did not unreasonably block your passage anyway, the lane was sufficiently clear to pass by safely. Lots more Australian drivers, including cyclists need to take chill-pills and deal reasonably with drivers doing lawful maneuvers.

In Castellanmare di Stabia, near Naples, I encountered a Mercedes driver doing a similar three-point turn in this street. Traffic had to stop for him from both directions. No-one honked horns nor got too stressed.

I agree. If I worried about every choice that others made that have almost zero effect on my time and effort then I'd not be driving again. That taxi driver affected others almost zero. He did a fairly efficient ca[able turn to achieve an end. If we all drove in neat squares around congested CBD blocks blocks and one way treets to achieve the same result just so that the person some distance away did not have to notice us in any way then most cities in Australia would grind to a halt.

Simple give and take and empathy and patience and all that stuff.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:41 pm

il padrone wrote: A taxi does a three-point turn. You, as the approaching vehicle, are obliged to give way as the taxi-driver was already completing his turn. Maybe you have the same rule against crossing solid lines that we have in Victoria (I don't know), but there even seems to be a break in the solid line. The driver did not unreasonably block your passage anyway, the lane was sufficiently clear to pass by safely. Lots more Australian drivers, including cyclists need to take chill-pills and deal reasonably with drivers doing lawful
I agree everybody needs to take a chill pill at times and this wasn't that bad, but

1. It was a solid line that he crossed which is illegal for uturns (sure he was at the edge but the rules are the rules)
2. Vehicles either doing a uturn or reversing are meant to give way to everybody else (not sure where you got the approaching vehicle is obliged to give way part from). If you don't have time to complete the move, giving way means you wait until you do have time
3. There was an oncoming motorbike he hadn't given way to (probably hadn't even seen given where he started the uturn from) hence his rush to reverse back out

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 am

InTheWoods wrote:2. Vehicles either doing a uturn or reversing are meant to give way to everybody else (not sure where you got the approaching vehicle is obliged to give way part from).
Moral/civic obligation that I was talking about, rather than strict letter of the law. If there is a car blocking the road one should be prepared to back off as necessary, rather than barging on.

The taxi-driver did give way to Rhubarb, quite clearly, he stopped to leave most of the left lane clear, rather than backing right back to the kerb. Reasonable actions in the circumstances.

As I said, we saw this sort of driving all the time in Italy, with very little aggro, and no collisions. Drivers just dealt with the traffic they faced. The margins of space given were much less, the tolerance of other road users much higher. It was quite normal to pull out into a traffic stream with as little as 20m of space; drivers simply expected such moves and braked to let others merge in. Traffic speeds were of course slower, at 40-50kmh around town. Despite Italian drivers' reputations, they pretty-much seemed to have packed the ego away at home.
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 am

InTheWoods wrote:
il padrone wrote: A taxi does a three-point turn. You, as the approaching vehicle, are obliged to give way as the taxi-driver was already completing his turn. Maybe you have the same rule against crossing solid lines that we have in Victoria (I don't know), but there even seems to be a break in the solid line. The driver did not unreasonably block your passage anyway, the lane was sufficiently clear to pass by safely. Lots more Australian drivers, including cyclists need to take chill-pills and deal reasonably with drivers doing lawful
I agree everybody needs to take a chill pill at times and this wasn't that bad, but

1. It was a solid line that he crossed which is illegal for uturns (sure he was at the edge but the rules are the rules)
2. Vehicles either doing a uturn or reversing are meant to give way to everybody else (not sure where you got the approaching vehicle is obliged to give way part from). If you don't have time to complete the move, giving way means you wait until you do have time
3. There was an oncoming motorbike he hadn't given way to (probably hadn't even seen given where he started the uturn from) hence his rush to reverse back out
In WA last time I checked the unbroken line can be crossed when "leaving" or "entering" the road, when turnign at an intersection or when doing a u-turn (which I would assume intends to include three point turns where necessary).

wrt giving way, I would suggest that, with the amount of time/notice that the taxi driver left for the trailing rider, he has more than adequately fulfilled his obligations. Giving way to me does not have to include ensuring that no-one ever has to ameliorate their speed or motion in any way. Which would require all drivers to have the exceptional spatially calculating mind of Dennis Connor - a rare ability.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 am

il padrone wrote:

That's the way they drive in them parts and love the windy and skinny roads in the hills where the cars almost touch when they pass each other.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:55 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:In WA last time I checked the unbroken line can be crossed when "leaving" or "entering" the road, when turnign at an intersection or when doing a u-turn (which I would assume intends to include three point turns where necessary).
Hmm, I just a re-read of the WA Road Traffic Code and Rule 116 seems to say that u-turns are permitted across double unbroken lines too. Did not know that! Rather confusing as it is illegal in most of the eastern states...