Sunshine coasters.... Anyone out there?

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:46 pm

No. O, not semi pro riders.. But those who are keen for a more leisurely pace... I'm really wanting to improve my bike riding... Not short on enthusiasm and willing to try longer rides... Just not these buderim hills.. Killers! Ahh.

Is there anybody out there?....... (I'm close to mooloolaba but don't mind driving to meet up for a good ride :)

ldrcycles

Re: Sunshine coasters.... Anyone out there?

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm

Well i'm here but as wakatuki will vouch, my normal pace is a bit warmer than leisurely :) .

Don't be discouraged by the Buderim climbs, they are painful for everyone! :D
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 am

ldrcycles wrote:Well i'm here but as wakatuki will vouch, my normal pace is a bit warmer than leisurely :) .

Don't be discouraged by the Buderim climbs, they are painful for everyone! :D

Hmmm Warmer then leisurely....sounds crazy! The heat yesterday was mad, today's the same no doubt.

Oh you mean warmer as in your a crazy dude on a bike who thinks hills are little speed bumps in the road :lol: :lol: Well I'm yet to really tackle the big hills, just doing some smaller ones to start with, my problem being that because I'm new to the bike I'm still getting used to how to work it to the best advantage. Heading out with a group tomorrow morning, will see how that goes.

Still if anyone knows if others looking for training partners please let me know!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Yea I didn't get a chance to get out on the bike until 8pm yesterday and even then it was warm. Loved that northerly once I was heading south though :) .

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 pm

It's official - you are mad. Am I right to assume a northerly when going south means your going against the wind rather then with it... So all in all a harder ride?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 am

No the other way around, northerly means the wind is coming from the north and going south, so if you ride south the wind will be at your back and you can go MUCH faster :D . The coast gets some pretty strong winds from time to time and that's when it's time to pop on the aerobars and go nuts on flat Strava segments. I only rode from Coolum to Peregian and back, on the way north going into the wind I was only doing about 24kmh, on the way back I was sitting on up to 50 :) .

A great example of what a tailwind can do is a stage from the recent Tour of Qatar, they had a tailwind of up to 50kmh and did 135kms at an average of nearly 57kmh! The big difference between everyday riders and the pros is that they could turn around into the wind and still sit in the 40s.

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 am

Woah 57kms average - idol!! How do they build that strength?!

This morning I did 24kms for just 40kms... And I'm shattered! 4th ride on bike and I promptly fell into the pool upon arrival home :|

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Haha, I can still remember when riding from one side of Pomona to the other and back was a BIG ride for me :) .

I think not having a full time job would help a lot :lol: .

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 pm

I got shoes!! Watch out sunny coast... Cyclist kissing the road at every set of traffic lights!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 am

Newrider2014 wrote:I got shoes!! Watch out sunny coast... Cyclist kissing the road at every set of traffic lights!

Lol, try going somewhere nice and flat with plenty of grass around to practice clipping in and out before you hit the road.

If you have access to a wind trainer even better...have fun!
Lisa

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:05 am

Success - the shoes and clips make it great! No falls (yet) but really really need to find a proper training group!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Newrider2014 wrote:Success - the shoes and clips make it great! No falls (yet) but really really need to find a proper training group!

Well done on going onto the shoes and pedals, good luck finding a training group.
Lisa

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:14 am