Commuter Cup Racing

nickobec

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby nickobec » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:01 pm

No video so this did not really happen.

ride2work day (and going to the pub after work) so steel singlespeed, cages, courier bag, baggies, retro wool jersey and chuck taylors

Same 40km commute I do a few times a week, except 30 minutes early to score free breakfast (and one of the people I race with was organising the breakfast).

Any last 5km is on a busy stretch of PSP, lot more cyclists than usual, but they are al travelling in the same direction and visibility is good.

So I am riding a long at a decent rate, passing a few riders, when I pass an rider with 7 year old matching kit and alloy TT bike from that era. As I go past he accelerates, I think Say What, get past and expect him to sit in my wheel and get a free tow to breakfast. (I did for a few kms earlier in the ride)

About 1km later, I slow to work out best way past a slower rider ahead, the TT bike goes past. So around the slower rider ahead and onto the wheel of the TT bike. A couple of hundred metres later he starts looking back, at first it is a glance, then they keep getting longer, soon it is a full on stare. Suppose he wants me to take my turn, so I try. Again he tries to accelerate to match me. Bad move, I hit it hard, next time I looked behind, he was nowhere to be seen and arrive a good 5 minutes after me at the free breakfast.

Looks like he was taking his CCR very seriously

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Why is it that I am feeling great and keen for a bit of CCR action, heaps of cyclists but none of then keen to push it. Left to go at it all by myself which we all know what that leads to, and I am already wearing glasses!! :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 am

+1 this morning. Him: Lycra, Carbon, aero bars. Me: steel, baggies, backpack. I don't get a lot of competition so I'll take what I can get, I'm pretty sure he wasn't racing.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 am

Another point today. I extended my commute a little and was disappointed to see some competition headed in the opposite direction to me while I was riding away from work. I don't see much normally. After I got to the end of the path and had turned around I spotted a target. I was on the sharepath just enjoying the pedal, he was on the road ahead. I completed the next section on the path, then hopped out onto the road to see how fast he was going. I accelerated a bit and started to catch him so kept the effort up and passed not to much later.

Him kitted out in gear (not team gear though) and on a modern roadie. Me in baggies, backpack and on a 90s steel machine.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Like many, I pass I few people while out on my fitness rides and don't usually think much of it. But today I came across what looked to be a teenage girl riding a MTB with knobbies and flat plastic pedals. The only thing unusual about this was her pace. Being on a road style bike, I should have been about 3Km/h faster on the flat, but it didn't feel that much different. If she had been on a road bike she might have be passing me instead. :o

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:36 pm

I saw a school kid with stupidly massive oversized chock full backpack on a road bike doing a fast pace, as fast as the 90 percentile fast road commuters over the couple km's around the city paths that I was on the same portion for. Similar uniform kid slower on bike may have been waiting for him with the other riding faster to catch up, but still didn't look like he was putting in heaps of effort, I suppose weighing 40kg with a 12kg backpack on a 10kg bike is still a third less than me standing here.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 am

With scalp number five and my last for 2013 I had unfair advantage as I was coming off the descent and he had come up and through the roundabout but I am claiming it anyway :). Heck it is not a race right so one can “make up the rules” :)

There ends 2013 season of racing :)

Andrew

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 am

Aushiker wrote:
Spin those legs! :lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:04 pm

CCR Resurrection, did a quick diversion along Wanneroo Road today and my paths intersected with a young (mid 20's) very fit race fit guy obviously out for a training ride and not mucking around. Caught up at a set of lights and he saw me, gave me the up and down and sneered (what's wrong with a cross bike, SPDS, red running shirt, fox MTB shorts, old blue Big W helmet and back pack). I leave the good stuff for the weekend BTW).

He took off from the lights and the next 2 km was at a pace of 45+ up and down dale. I held my ground with him and didn't wheelsuck either. He was rather surprised I was still there. unfortunately no Strava PRs as had group rides through here at similar pace. Not bad for a middle aged git with grey hair and bad knees I thought to myself.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Had a great spot of CCR this morning, had a guy in a Water Corp vest tag on at Joondalup and we shared the load for a bit before I ended up pulling a few lengths on him.

A 3rd joined us after Karinyup road, in GHD gear, who got a bit ahead, but we caught him through the traffic, and by Hutton st. the 3 of us caught a guy on a Reid fixie, who looked like a Swedish guy I used to work with. We continued in a train of 4 past glendalough, but the fixie guy didn't want to pull a turn, so after powis I decided to nip to the front from 3rd as GHD was either tired or slowing deliberately to get someone else to have a go. We were sat about 30-32km/hr and by the time I hit the front I was doing 38km/hr so I decided to keep my foot in and see if any of them would go with me. I was pleasantly surprised that after 35kms I still felt ok, and when I looked back after about 750m all 3 were out of sight, so I claim CCR glory. I cruised the last couple of k's into the city feeling pretty cool

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:19 am

Bagged a carbon roadie this morning on my commute, 'twas a nice shiny bike too. Saw the bike up ahead so remained on the road rather than divert to the share path, my usual safer route. Caught up to him, tagged along for a while at a slower than usual pace for me then overtook after a shoulder check for traffic. Made it stick.

I don't see any mention of the age of the rider in the rules or points system, so I'll claim a point even though the rider was probably a grand master and only out for a spin. (Don't know why he chose to stick on the road at a cruisy pace though when there is a share path following the same route, his choice I guess)

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:33 am

I do it too, but not so that I can feel good about passing folks with all the gear and no idea, but I do it to try to improve my chances of a PB on my commutes. I try to set PBs every time I'm on the bike, and the current goals are sub 1h10min into work and sub 1h15min on the way home. If I can try to catch and pass a rider or stay with someone who's passed me then I'm probably pushing harder than I would be if I was just riding solo.

I'll give it another crack this afternoon but I don't like my chances, 38 today so even if I stay around work until 5 it will still be hot.

Damn and I just realised I didn't bring my drink bottles to work. Might just put the bike in the boot and take it home.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:29 am

i got babe'd this morning! it's a bit like getting chicked, but by a guy with a baby trailer in tow. this guy came rocketing past me up a small hill on the capital city trail. i wasn't hanging around either, on my MTB. he must have been putting out some big numbers. i hung around behind him and wondered whether to re-take him, but thought that would only further reduce my dignity. then he turned off. i'm not sure the kid was all that impressed with his riding :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 pm

jules21 wrote:i got babe'd this morning! it's a bit like getting chicked, but by a guy with a baby trailer in tow. this guy came rocketing past me up a small hill on the capital city trail. i wasn't hanging around either, on my MTB. he must have been putting out some big numbers. i hung around behind him and wondered whether to re-take him, but thought that would only further reduce my dignity. then he turned off. i'm not sure the kid was all that impressed with his riding :)
Done that on the flat when towing my son, just because I could - couple of blokes blocking the whole path so I politely asked them to let me through - when he graciously moved 20 cm left I pointed out I would need a bit more room - I think his ego was a bit deflated as I went past :D I suspect you were going a fair bit quicker than those 2 Jules & no way I could do it up even the smallest of hills though - trailer & boy would come close to 30kg

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:48 pm

jules21 wrote:i got babe'd this morning! it's a bit like getting chicked, but by a guy with a baby trailer in tow. this guy came rocketing past me up a small hill on the capital city trail. i wasn't hanging around either, on my MTB. he must have been putting out some big numbers. i hung around behind him and wondered whether to re-take him, but thought that would only further reduce my dignity. then he turned off. i'm not sure the kid was all that impressed with his riding :)
Video? :)

Andrew

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:45 am

You guys are funny :D,

I have a few games of my own on my commute trips. One is where some commuters over take me on their roadbikes and I have an old mtb that weighs about 13kg. Most of them don't realise I have slicks on pumped up to 85psi but they absolute hate being overtaken by a mtb and push like all hell to get away. I just draft behind for quite a few ks and they try to make a break away every now and then but I sit on their tail.

I know the trip quite well and wait till we hit a few hills and see how they shape. By this stage they are panting, sweeting some of them even going red in the face and pouring there water all over themselves to cool down. But oh no they cant have a mtb beat them but I just keep on chasing till the time is right and I put my plan into action and just lay down the full power of my legs.

The look on some of their faces is priceless as I pass them like they are standing still on a decent incline and normally they try for a few meters to fend me off and wobble all over the place to catch me but they are too stuffed and I just break away like a feather in the wind. :wink:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:01 am

Dragster1 wrote:You guys are funny :D,

I have a few games of my own on my commute trips. One is where some commuters over take me on their roadbikes and I have an old mtb that weighs about 13kg. Most of them don't realise I have slicks on pumped up to 85psi but they absolute hate being overtaken by a mtb and push like all hell to get away. I just draft behind for quite a few ks and they try to make a break away every now and then but I sit on their tail.

I know the trip quite well and wait till we hit a few hills and see how they shape. By this stage they are panting, sweeting some of them even going red in the face and pouring there water all over themselves to cool down. But oh no they cant have a mtb beat them but I just keep on chasing till the time is right and I put my plan into action and just lay down the full power of my legs.

The look on some of their faces is priceless as I pass them like they are standing still on a decent incline and normally they try for a few meters to fend me off and wobble all over the place to catch me but they are too stuffed and I just break away like a feather in the wind. :wink:
Dragster- we have several wolves in sheeps clothing (guys on MTB/FBR's)along my commute also - they tend to be regular commuters like me so are fit and know the PSP. At this time of year we also have plenty of sheep in wolves clothing which is entertaining as they think they are wolves (maybe think they are Cadel?) and get slaughtered like the sheep they really are.
Latest CCR action for me was a loss- very fast roadie young and obviously on a training ride for racing screamed past at Leederville heading home (North), being one of my hard ride days I thought "let's go", chase was on, couldn't catch him but was always 50-100m back. He put the hammer down and it was a series of sprints to keep him in sight. He eventually turned off at Cedric Street with steam blowing out of my ears and nothing left. Blew up on Gribble Road and just made it home to a nice vomit in the garden. Ate no dinner and fell asleep at 7:15 for a restless nights sleep. Was really and truly buggered and if racing is even harder than this it can go and get lost. But was good training and felt good for the rest of the week.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:21 am

Dragster1 wrote:You guys are funny :D,

Yes, some roadies are not too smart. With a 5kg weight advantage of the bike, the smart thing to do is slow and force you on the front then attack on the climb.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:44 pm

This thread is an enjoyable read for me as I can relate to a lot of the postings. I find the fast riders will keep a good average speed over a long distance , they are hard to pass and sometimes blitz me. A lot of people cant ride hills and that's where I make a lot of time up. Keep up the good work guys makes our commute more interesting :)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:24 pm

here's a decent challenger for you all ....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Rhubarb wrote:here's a decent challenger for you all ....
give you a hint - his motor has a 200w sticker. that's probably the only legitimate thing on the bike - he sits on over 60 outbound on sylvan rd

I did see that pedal the other day and forgot about it

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Won a bit of CCR action today- a singlespeed idiot overtook a line of cyclists (including me waiting to overtake at the back) already overtaking another cyclist, so three abreast with another oncoming cyclist (who had to take emergency action) thrown into the mix. I waited until the traffic ahead had sorted itself out before overtaking people and tracked down the single speed and devoured him along Leederville and gave him a big smile as I passed.

I am sick of these pushy impatient twits endangering others to show off there testosterone- if you want to ride fast for training get on the road and away from people commuting.

Did have a funny one- a drunk guy fell over in front of me at Subiaco on the PSP- came round the corner and he was stumbling across the path and tripped over- sprawling across the entire PSP- I had to stop while he apologetically tried to drag himself across the path.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 am

Back after six weeks off (injury) and nobody wants to play, mind you was playing a wolf in wolf's clothing, stealth TT bike (well matt black road frame with TT bars and seat forward) with 55mm carbon rims. I have 18km of uninterrupted PSP to train (see if I recovered enough to race a 16km TT - answer no) which was spent dodging a few group rides coming the other way. Then a few kms of cautious riding, because of numbers of pedestrians, before finishing off with a short VO2 max session, did collect a few scalps that konacommuter would of be proud of, but nothing that made me work.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:29 am

Another day, another commute this time dress as a sheep in wolves clothing CF bike with matching jersey and gloves with non matching helmet Still nobody wanted to play, along final stretch of the PSP saw ahead a roadie with a MTB hanging desperately on his wheel. So chased on ( was not too hard) was going to get a breath when the road sat up and spotted me. So straight past, expect one or both to grab my wheel. Gave then 10 seconds to do so. Nobody took me up on my offer. So showed them a clean pair of heels.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:48 pm

nickobec wrote:Another day, another commute this time dress as a sheep in wolves clothing CF bike with matching jersey and gloves with non matching helmet Still nobody wanted to play, along final stretch of the PSP saw ahead a roadie with a MTB hanging desperately on his wheel. So chased on ( was not too hard) was going to get a breath when the road sat up and spotted me. So straight past, expect one or both to grab my wheel. Gave then 10 seconds to do so. Nobody took me up on my offer. So showed them a clean pair of heels.
Try a normal shirt and your boardies over your bike niks.

I had an awesome one the other day a bloke passes me sprinting up a hill so I decide to give chase. I catch the bugger he is on a road bike me on my mountain bike. We both do a full on sprint for just over 100m uphill,man do the noise of the tyres of two bikes sprinting together sound awesome. We get over the hill he slows down a bit catches his breath sees im still on his tail and goes for it again. I was unable to hang on for anymore than about 200m in the big down hill run. Being able to hold on and above 45ks downhill agaist the road bike was just too much for me so I had to let him go.