Training schedule help please

Newrider2014

Training schedule help please

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 am

Ok, I've been out on the bike all of 2.5 weeks now... I love it!! :D but I want to get better, and most of the group rides around here are just too fast for me at present. (32-35kms p/h) I'm probably more around the 25km/hr I think... Long way to go.

So how do I start training? There are no training groups around here otherwise I would join up!

Wanting to get up to a good decent 60-80km ride in next few months.

For the record, I'm female, 58kgs and have a reasonable level of fitness, just not the real knowledge of how to ride, where to ride etc.

Any help?

Rhubarb

Re: Training schedule help please

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Welcome outside :-)

If you have a LBS (Local Bike Shop) they will be able to put you in touch with some local group rides, generally spanning all standards. 25km/h is a pretty good average for a new starter BTW so dont be disheartened at all about that.

Also group riding is much easier / faster than solo since you can draft behind others in the bunch.

My advise would be just to ride regularly by yourself or with a small number of other people for a while anyway. Large bunches can be dangerous if you aren't fully comfortable on the bike yet anyway.

I think most of all your focus should be on having fun, enjoying your rides, and staying safe. Apps like strava can help you track your personal bests and improvements over time.

Always allow time for recovery though. I know when I started back I just wanted to go 100% all the time. The body cant do this for long and you risk burn out and demotivation.

Keep reading the threads here and other places. There are so many people more knowledgeable than me.

But most of all, just get out and ride for the enjoyment of it.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Ps - your forum name is a little short sighted ;-)

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Ps - your forum name is a little short sighted ;-)

What do you mean?

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Newrider2014 wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:Ps - your forum name is a little short sighted ;-)

What do you mean?
Just that you wont be new rider for long. You'll be rippin it up in no time ;-)

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Haha I wish!

Just found a group that does time trials so going there tomorrow...but it's all triathletes so not sure it's going to be any good for me.
So hard to find a group here - it's all water sports mostly!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Announce where you are. Someone on here may be nearby.

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:50 am

I've checked... So far I've found two but they are machines on bikes....

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 am

Welcome

Agree with what Rhubarb wrote.
I'd be careful about heading out with a Tri club, unless that where you want your cycling to take you...they spend most of their ride grinding it out in the big ring, which is perfect for Time Trials but it won't really teach you good pedaling technique or help to build your endurance on the bike.

If you gave us a general idea of your location someone may help with where is a good place to ride...understand privacy etc but something like Northside Brisbane will help :wink:

Start with 3-4 rides per week, shorter midweek ones and start building up your weekend ones to longer distances.

Do you have any goals for your cycling?

When I started riding my friend set me the goal for a 25k charity ride, I thought that it was beyond me, given I only had 2 months to get ready for it...by the time the event arrived I was ready to do the 50k event. A couple of months later I was doing 80-90k rides, just build things up slowing, adding in a few extra k's every couple of weeks.

Hth and good luck
Lisa

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 am

marinmomma wrote:Welcome

Agree with what Rhubarb wrote.
I'd be careful about heading out with a Tri club, unless that where you want your cycling to take you...they spend most of their ride grinding it out in the big ring, which is perfect for Time Trials but it won't really teach you good pedaling technique or help to build your endurance on the bike.

If you gave us a general idea of your location someone may help with where is a good place to ride...understand privacy etc but something like Northside Brisbane will help :wink:

Start with 3-4 rides per week, shorter midweek ones and start building up your weekend ones to longer distances.

Do you have any goals for your cycling?

When I started riding my friend set me the goal for a 25k charity ride, I thought that it was beyond me, given I only had 2 months to get ready for it...by the time the event arrived I was ready to do the 50k event. A couple of months later I was doing 80-90k rides, just build things up slowing, adding in a few extra k's every couple of weeks.

Hth and good luck

Thanks, yes the ride this morning was all fast fast fast time trial laps... Was only a total of 40kms but ahhh I feel sore now whereas my prior rides of 30kms have been fine after. Problem is there is no training clubs etc around here, trust me I've been into all bike shops around. They all do a bunch ride once a week or so, but I guess ill just keep doing my own thing til I can keep up with them.

I'm north side of brisbane, Sunshine Coast, which is very much tri area! And most of them are fast fat fast.

I'm doing the 25 km charity ride this weekend, hoping I can get through ok. Would hAe loved to have tried for the 50km but when I entered 2 weeks ago I had only been out on the bike once...

Thanks for you help!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Sorry but I can't help with contacts on the sunny coast, there was a forum member from up your way who was getting into cycling but I haven't heard from her for a while now.
There is the Sunshine Coast cycling club, they may have more contacts re training groups/rides.

After almost 4 years I still find it a bit hard to find the right group to ride with...having a couple of like minded and skilled friends is good company and motivation to get out there.
Lisa

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Hmm true, ill try the club again...just want some nice good rides... Solo until then!