Video Camera who uses one?

rangersac

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby rangersac » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:14 pm

biker jk wrote:In a fair proportion of cases it's the driver saying I could have hit you if I felt like it.
I've got a bit more faith in general humanity than that. More due to a lack of attention, which I think many drivers suffer from.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:27 pm

yep, it's often intentional stone flicking, and other times just poor vehicle control. Not being sexist, but I see it more with smaller females driving heavier cars (4wd's)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Anyone found a decent gopro seatpost or saddle mount along the lines of the K-Edge saddle mount ? The genuine gopro mount is too chunky for my taste & I am too cheap to fork out the $ for a k-edge. Plenty of copies of the K-edge bar mounts going for $10-$15 but nothing for the rear
Anything you can do, I can do slower

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:Anyone found a decent gopro seatpost or saddle mount along the lines of the K-Edge saddle mount ? The genuine gopro mount is too chunky for my taste & I am too cheap to fork out the $ for a k-edge. Plenty of copies of the K-edge bar mounts going for $10-$15 but nothing for the rear
Yup. +1. Interested to know this too.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:29 pm

trailgumby wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Anyone found a decent gopro seatpost or saddle mount along the lines of the K-Edge saddle mount ? The genuine gopro mount is too chunky for my taste & I am too cheap to fork out the $ for a k-edge. Plenty of copies of the K-edge bar mounts going for $10-$15 but nothing for the rear
Sorry I can't help with no frills alternatives but I did lash out and equip my three bikes with front and rear KEdge GoPro mounts including the saddle mount. Well worth the $$ ($$$$$ ?) spent IMHO for very solid mounts.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Boognoss wrote:Well worth the $$ ($$$$$ ?) spent IMHO for very solid mounts.
That's it really. K-Edge mounts are not cheap bt the quality improvement you get makes them worthwhile.
Cycling is in my BNA

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:32 am

Boognoss wrote:Sorry I can't help with no frills alternatives but I did lash out and equip my three bikes with front and rear KEdge GoPro mounts including the saddle mount. Well worth the $$ ($$$$$ ?) spent IMHO for very solid mounts.
+1 you get what you pay for in camera mounts. KEdge FTW
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:01 am

I tried the seat post mount for my new rear facing gopro but found there was too much vibration. In the end I used one of the adhesive mounts and attached it directly to the underside of my saddle. There is some natural damping when attached to the saddle (must have put on a bit of weight). Also, I get a better result when running the GoPro at 60 frames per second. Will post a photo shortly to show the setup.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:14 am

Yep. K-edge all the way. It pays for itself in the long run.

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:46 am

cowled wrote:
I tried the seat post mount for my new rear facing gopro but found there was too much vibration. In the end I used one of the adhesive mounts and attached it directly to the underside of my saddle. There is some natural damping when attached to the saddle (must have put on a bit of weight). Also, I get a better result when running the GoPro at 60 frames per second. Will post a photo shortly to show the setup.

Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:09 am

trailgumby wrote:
you can get these off fleabay, just search for "gopro mount Aluminum".

mount 1 mount 2 arm

i got the "mount 2" type but I dont use it for a gorpo, i use it with a liquid image camera.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 am

I have posted the review on BNA now:
Fly6 - not an action camera, a safety camera

The fly6 kickstarter campaign is currently at $171,000 (with a $95,000 goal).
The last 'limited' pledge amount to get a lower price still has a few open spots - so is $129. Otherwise via Kickstarter is $135 (both pledges plus $10 shipping to Australia).

Later the normal retail price will be $169 (circa July 2014).

After spending time using this my conclusion is that it is very well rounded - the different aspects are well thought through. While I would prefer a different format for the footage and there can be issues mounting on some bikes, this is well priced and it a very useful product and easy to use.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Cheers Craig. I have an SMP saddle with a centre cut-out so not sure that will work, but I will see what I can come up with.

Thanks eeksill - mount 1 & mount 2 are copies of the k-edge "go-big" & "go big pro" handlebar mounts - they are 90 degrees out for use on a seat post.

What I am looking for is either something like the "go big" (mount 2 as you refers to it) with the mount rotated 90 degrees or the k-edge saddle rail mount
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Mobius Action Camera + Tic Tac Box...
Win!

INSANE amount of water...

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Nate wrote:Mobius Action Camera + Tic Tac Box...
Win!

INSANE amount of water...
Pics of the box please. Did you cut a hole for the lens?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Nate wrote:Mobius Action Camera + Tic Tac Box...
Win!
Lets get some conspiracy theories in, perhaps it was on purpose?

Good on you Nate for slogging it through that weather - looks like coming up to North Sydney.
Cycling is in my BNA

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:28 pm

yeap up to north Sydney...

Ultra ghetto:

water & electronics arent the worst enemies like everyone makes out.
Rainwater doesnt conduct that well & its all low voltage in there.
There was water drops in the USB port at the back, & it got under the cover & was all along the top of the camera. No ill effects & doubt there will be.
cut too much off the back of the case, will do again & leave a bit more on there.

Other option might be a thin smear of silicone (NON acetic cure!!!) around the buttons & joins to help things a little.
or some silicone lube spray.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:14 am

find_bruce wrote:Cheers Craig. I have an SMP saddle with a centre cut-out so not sure that will work, but I will see what I can come up with.

Thanks eeksill - mount 1 & mount 2 are copies of the k-edge "go-big" & "go big pro" handlebar mounts - they are 90 degrees out for use on a seat post.

What I am looking for is either something like the "go big" (mount 2 as you refers to it) with the mount rotated 90 degrees or the k-edge saddle rail mount
The k-edge is very nice. But as mentioned above, the price :shock:. and as long as you can, e.g no saddle bag, saddle rail room ...

you can also get those arms e.g pivot arm (plastic), pivot arm (alum) but i have not been able to find those in black. Which will re-orient it in the direction you want. There are also longer arms available, not sure how sturdy they are though.

Ill shortly get to use the mount 2 (when its not wet) and I'll post back if it breaks :? . I ordered some of the plastic arms which I plan to use on the seatpost at some stage too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 am

To add to Aubicycles review I have now posted my review of the Fly6 Bicycle Rear HD Camera and Tail Light. Due to being off the bike following my crash on Sunday it is not as complete as I would have liked so will try and add to it down the track once I am riding again.

In summary I haven't been swayed to swap out my Contour HD1080P but I can see the benefit of the Fly6 for a lot of riders.

Andrew

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 am

So I've had the TCL SVC200 camera for 2 months now.

I was after a camera that was easy to use, easy to mount, small and lightweight, decent battery life and easily expandable, weatherproof option, would accept a massive memory card and was affordable. A screen wasn't a necessity but this camera has one, although I don't really have a use for it other changing settings which I don't need to do now that it's set up how I want it.
This camera has definitely hit the mark.

First of all I use a 64GB MicroSD card that has presented no issues. This gives me about 8hours of recording time, on maximum bitrate setting.
The internal battery lasts a little over 2 hours which is sufficient for my commuting runs but I definitely intend to purchase an external battery back for my long weekend rides.

The mounting options out of the box are incredible... it comes with a pile of mounts that will get you up and running straight away. However the handlebar mount it comes with although very stable, introduces insane vibration that makes the video pretty terrible to watch. I have since upgraded to a K-Edge mount and it's pretty much fixed that issue. Plus it's far less bulky. Shame about the K-Edge price but.

The picture quality of the camera is outstanding in my opinion. I record at Full HD 30FPS and have no problem identifying number plates that zip past me in daylight.
Here is a video of a moron this afternoon where the number plate is clearly visible, even after Youtube has scaled down and degraded the video quality significantly. Msg me for the original if you like.

The colour balance is spot on and it's a breeze to use. For my commuting (and poor weather, which I have yet to test) I put the camera inside the waterproof case. This makes it much easier for me to move around at work as I simply unclip the case door and take the camera with me up into the office rather than leave it sitting on the bike all day at work. It also protects it nicely in the event of a turn in the weather. The only caveat is the sound is pretty terrrible while in the case. Every bike vibration and sound gets magnified in the case so I don't hear much except noise really... even when stationary it's difficult to pick up conversation.

The below pictures show how I've mounted it. As it mounts upside down I have to flip it 180 in my PC software when watching/transcoding but thats not an issue.
The standard mount that comes with the TCL SVC200 is quit large so to have the camera below the bars I was often hitting the camera with my knees when standing on the pedals which was annoying. The K-Edge has solved this as it doesn't drop so low and it allows me to mount the camera closer to the stem since there is less cable interference.

Excuse the white bar tape... it's temporary :)

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:53 am

Nice review Rex!
Rex wrote:
It's tool time Tim! That was so bad it looked deliberate...

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 am

Yeah if I was going at speed it would have been an interesting situation!

kx315

Postby kx315 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 am

The Fly6 lads got air time on Sunrise this morning http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/wa ... ting-back/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:46 pm

While many of the regulars in this section have become experts with action cameras - I have created a useful article on BNA:
Dramatically Improve Your On-Bike Action Cam Footage

It is a growing market and there are lots of new camera users so this covers many of the factors which seasoned camera already take into account. Read through my posts and you will see that I am a bit of a K-Edge fan when it comes to mounting and the article concentrates on this. There is a bit more technology behind this and why an aluminium mount works better than a plastic mount however I have spared the readers the nerdy details.
Cycling is in my BNA

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:46 pm

AUbicycles wrote:While many of the regulars in this section have become experts with action cameras - I have created a useful article on BNA:
Dramatically Improve Your On-Bike Action Cam Footage
Few additional points:
- Mention the cheap aluminium DX mounts (or equiv): http://dx.com/p/bicycle-bike-handlebar- ... xPdwBBLk3Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- camera weight: more weight = more wobble
- no sponge or rubber between the bike, mount & camera
- Its vibrations that causes the poor image quality, not wobble, i.e. small sharp bumps
- increasing the frame rate as high as possible will give better results with vibrations (higher data rates?)
- Mount the camera as close as possible to the bike, i.e. either above/below handlebars & not out in front
- Helmet mount & issue with Aust Standards might be worth mentioning
- A "splash proof" case is practically useful in the rain & avoids fogging (my video above with the tic tac case), - Disclaimer on that one though