Ready for the next step...

jpbaker9

Ready for the next step...

Postby jpbaker9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Ok people, I need the your advice...

My background, was about 105kgs+ 6 months ago. Currently down to 92kgs. Currently ride about 100-150kms a week. M7 and Windsor Rd out to Richmond. Couple of 30km+ rides through the week and a 75-100km ride on weekend, avg. 28-31km/hr. Use to alternate with some swimming and running during the week. I feel my rides go ok, i think i jump out of the saddle too much, and I don't have a cadence sensor or power meter or heart rate monitor.

But the time has come, I want to concentrate on my cycling, i.e. no swimming, no running, just cycling. If there are some things I can get to help, more than happy to purchase.

My goals are:
- train and prepare for next years summer crits
- keep up with fast local bunch ride
- learn some racing techniques through winter racing

I have the opportunity to commute to work (35kms one way). I would like to start to think about some alternative training to help build my cycling speed on recovery days i.e. core, stretching indoor trainer.

Does anyone have some good ideas?
i.e. good total distance per week I should be aiming for (commute twice a week 4 x 35kms, weekend ride 1 x 100kms = 250kms a week)
training types

Any thoughts would be great...

thearthurdog

Re: Ready for the next step...

Postby thearthurdog » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Get a cadence meter. Keep between 95 - 105 rpm at all times (except on hills). Ride your bike ride your bike ride your bike. Do that for 6 months.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

jpbaker9

Postby jpbaker9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks for the cadence advice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jpbaker9

Postby jpbaker9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Anyone know a good training guide/book?

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:12 pm

jpbaker9 wrote:Anyone know a good training guide/book?

Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible. It's now into its 3rd edition and is still hard to beat.
Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:56 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:
jpbaker9 wrote:Anyone know a good training guide/book?

Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible. It's now into its 3rd edition and is still hard to beat.
Andrew
Agreed. Great material. I have the mtb version. Highly recommended.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Chris Carmichael / Jim Rutberg's time crunched cyclist book also has some useful hints in it. Ignore the Lance Armstrong connections.

Joe Friel's book mentioned above is equally good. The rest is down to you to do the hard work and make it happen.

And do not use your commute to work as a training ride. That is bound to end in tears.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:Chris Carmichael / Jim Rutberg's time crunched cyclist book also has some useful hints in it. Ignore the Lance Armstrong connections.

Joe Friel's book mentioned above is equally good. The rest is down to you to do the hard work and make it happen.

And do not use your commute to work as a training ride. That is bound to end in tears.
Agree with the advice above, excepting Time Crunched Cyclist. It's possibly OK if you're a young un looking for a late cram before a major event but it is diametrically opposed to a long term sustainable program IMO especially for older athletes. Some of the info on intensity is thought provoking though, in a good way.

Regarding commuting and training, you really need to pick your route carefully. I am fortunate to have quiet roads and reasonable training climbs not too far out of the way from my normal commute. There's no way I'd try intervals on my shortest-distance route - a recipe for a trip to hospital if not the morgue.

Safety is priority #1.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk