Moron Motorists #3

BianchiCam

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Bike eye is the go. Stays in place. Best bit of bling I own.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Busch & Muller Cyclestar short stem.

I have straight bars with bar-ends. My mirror straps onto the bar-end with a supplied threaded plastic strap - pretty secure.

There is a no-stem version that I use in the drop-bar end on my road bike.

Last edited by il padrone on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:28 pm

il padrone wrote:Over many years I have now learned - the best response (if any) is to wave and blow kisses when they honk their horn. Anything else I curse them under my breath, and smile happily..... well try to :|
In some instances I've been known to grind the top tube, thrust towards the handlebars, pose seductively and "readjust" myself next to or infornt of some bogans that I catch up to at traffic lights. Sometimes..... most of the times it makes them even angrier :lol: :lol:

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:19 am

Probably best to leave THAT out of the go pro footage :shock:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Last edited by schroeds on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
il padrone wrote:Over many years I have now learned - the best response (if any) is to wave and blow kisses when they honk their horn. Anything else I curse them under my breath, and smile happily..... well try to :|
In some instances I've been known to grind the top tube, thrust towards the handlebars, pose seductively and "readjust" myself next to or infornt of some bogans that I catch up to at traffic lights. Sometimes..... most of the times it makes them even angrier :lol: :lol:
I normally have a pretty blissful commute (well as blissful as you can expect in Melbourne peak suburban traffic), and few real issues. But today was a ripper..... and I have no camera to record it.

First one AM commute. Just rolling down to work and I do the right thing and take the short stretch of narrowish bike lane, as there is a car behind. As I am rolling the last 20m to my turn, the car comes alongside....... and proceeds to move left into the parking space to my left!!! I am envsioning me being knocked for a six and shout a few expletives. The driver suddenly realises I am there and stops. I stop and am very ready to have some stern words about the driver's vision and how exactly he/she could do that. But here's the catch - I am a teacher, and the driver is one of our students' parents. Dropping the kids off :oops: . How can I go confronting them in front of the children. Another parent parked saw it all and asks if I need any help. I assure them I am OK. I am forced to leave it and walk away, walking my bike into the grounds alongside the daughter of the driver - who was very apologetic about her dad's error. You can't get angry and embarass her any more :|

Second one PM commute. This was a doozy. I am riding along on a two-lane each way undivided road, coming up a slight rise towards some traffic lights. I ride the middle of the lane here, it's way too narrow to tempt drivers to 'share'. Suddenly a car flashed by what seemed extremely close and fast as well. Heart-in-mouth stuff. I catch up at the lights and look at the driver with a serious, peeved look. The response is one of "What was wrong?" (I really think he knew he was too close, despite what eventuated) Discussion ensued there along the lines of "Why were you riding so wide?" etc. I suggested he read the road rules, and met an angry response. I did take out the phone with a view to photographing the rego, and read it out to recall it. The lights went green at this stage and he said "Pull over down the road and we can talk about this". Riding on I thought I'd just ride past, but he was out of the car and very angry. Pulling over and getting off the bike was probably safer than a push as I went by, or a chasing hot-head. For a few minutes I really did think he was going to start bashing me, the temper was very high, so I got out the phone and dialled 000. Kind of silly perhaps but this was shaping up to be road-rage. I was not going to get into any further confrontational stuff.

Police took all details and were concerned that I was safe, then advised a car would be on its way. I waited nearby, and tried to avoid interacting with the driver - he was very keen to talk to the police too. Anyway, long-story-short, he spoke of how he was a cyclist and rode in the MS Ride yesterday. He could not understand how I could think riding in the centre of the lane was safe, that the organisers of the MS Ride emphasised to keep left. I told him about a good friend of mine who has MS and was in the ride with a dozen other friends, and how I didn't ride it because I had done a long ride the day before. Eventually things calmed down and I realised there was no road rage here, so I rang and cancelled the police call-out. The driver freely apologised for any worry he may have caused, maintained he did not think he was very close, but acknowledged he was pushed having just turned out onto the road with other cars coming up behind. Eventually we talked of cycling matters, safe riding techniques, and parted with a hand-shake.

I think this all goes to show that most drivers and many cyclists do not understand the rule on keeping left for cyclists - that it does not apply on multi-lane roads. Bicycle = vehicle, rider = driver.

What's for tomorrow :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Would you advise me to zip my jersey down to my belly button? :mrgreen:
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for uploading the pics il Padrone.
Mirrors certainly seem to be a great alternative to constantly turning my head every time i hear a roaring v8.
Might even be able to get my parents to get it for me if I explain the safety benefits! Haha
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:35 pm

il padrone wrote:Anyway, long-story-short, he spoke of how he was a cyclist and rode in the MS Ride yesterday. He could not understand how I could think riding in the centre of the lane was safe, that the organisers of the MS Ride emphasised to keep left.
the bits of the MS ride i came across yesterday - on sydney road primarily but saw them elsewhere - the service lane was closed and they were all over it :)

cowled

Postby cowled » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 pm

il padrone wrote:Second one PM commute. This was a doozy. I am riding along on a two-lane each way undivided road, coming up a slight rise towards some traffic lights. I ride the middle of the lane here, it's way too narrow to tempt drivers to 'share'. Suddenly a car flashed by what seemed extremely close and fast as well. Heart-in-mouth stuff.

<snip>

I think this all goes to show that most drivers and many cyclists do not understand the rule on keeping left for cyclists - that it does not apply on multi-lane roads. Bicycle = vehicle, rider = driver.
Yes, I think you'll find that there are many cyclists who aren't aware that there is no requirement to keep left on multi-lane roads, let alone the ignorant masses of motorists. You may recall the incident I had a few weeks ago ...

I recently heard back from the investigating police officer that the driver has given a version of events and I should expect to receive a phone call on Friday. I'm guessing that the driver's reason for the punishment pass will likely be because she thought I had broken the keep left rule (which clearly doesn't apply on that multi-lane road).

Anyhow, I seem to be attracting morons on my commute. I had a high speed, close overtake this evening on my ride home, similar to your own experience, Il Padrone. Completely unnecessary too!! I was coming downhill and approaching a pinch point. Knowing that the pinch point was approaching, I was moving to take the lane when this muppet comes flying past me. He barely moved his vehicle into the adjacent lane, even though there was no traffic in that lane. I really did feel as though it was a deliberately close pass.

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that the police will not be interested in pursuing this particular driver because the 1m law has not yet come into effect. I might just mention it to the officer investigating anyhow and see if she can give the driver a warning. I'll upload the video footage when I've had a chance to patch the front and rear facing footage together.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:18 pm

cowled wrote:
il padrone wrote:Second one PM commute. This was a doozy. I am riding along on a two-lane each way undivided road, coming up a slight rise towards some traffic lights. I ride the middle of the lane here, it's way too narrow to tempt drivers to 'share'. Suddenly a car flashed by what seemed extremely close and fast as well. Heart-in-mouth stuff.

<snip>

Yes, I think you'll find that there are many cyclists who aren't aware that there is no requirement to keep left on multi-lane roads, let alone the ignorant masses of motorists. You may recall the incident I had a few weeks ago ...

I recently heard back from the investigating police officer that the driver has given a version of events and I should expect to receive a phone call on Friday. I'm guessing that the driver's reason for the punishment pass will likely be because she thought I had broken the keep left rule (which clearly doesn't apply on that multi-lane road).

Anyhow, I seem to be attracting morons on my commute. I had a high speed, close overtake this evening on my ride home, similar to your own experience, Il Padrone. Completely unnecessary too!! I was coming downhill and approaching a pinch point. Knowing that the pinch point was approaching, I was moving to take the lane when this muppet comes flying past me. He barely moved his vehicle into the adjacent lane, even though there was no traffic in that lane. I really did feel as though it was a deliberately close pass.

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that the police will not be interested in pursuing this particular driver because the 1m law has not yet come into effect. I might just mention it to the officer investigating anyhow and see if she can give the driver a warning. I'll upload the video footage when I've had a chance to patch the front and rear facing footage together.
If there is 2 or more lanes in the same direction cyclists are fully entitled to ride in the middle of the far left lane.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Aren't we entitled to go in the middle of the left lane when there is only one lane? When I ride a bike I am riding a road vehicle with the same rights and responsibilities as any other vehicle, at least that's how I understood it.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Rule 129 applies - "as far left as practicable". Applies to all drivers (well how's that?). You be the judge of what is practicable, not the car driver blowing his/her horn.
129 Keeping to the far left side of a road
(1) A driver on a road (except a multi-lane road) must
drive as near as practicable to the far left side of
the road.
Mandatory helmet law?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:22 am

il padrone, which rule is it again that permits drivers to overtake cyclists to pass without changing lanes on a one-lane each way road?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 am

Last edited by il padrone on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:51 am

wellington_street wrote:il padrone, which rule is it again that permits drivers to overtake cyclists to pass without changing lanes on a one-lane each way road?
Which rule prevents them? There are many roads without middle markings or lanes. There are many that are wide enough for two cars in each direction but do not have multiple lanes marked.

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:22 am

cowled wrote:

<snip>

And here is the footage of Monday's muppet on Fairfield Rd ...

This section of road is a 70km/h zone, so this MM would be looking at a decent fine in the near future. A damn shame they didn't bring the law into effect as expected in January.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 am

human909 wrote:
wellington_street wrote:il padrone, which rule is it again that permits drivers to overtake cyclists to pass without changing lanes on a one-lane each way road?
Which rule prevents them? There are many roads without middle markings or lanes. There are many that are wide enough for two cars in each direction but do not have multiple lanes marked.
+1 you can form multiple lines of traffic on a wide piece of road. Wellington, what you can't do (although it isn't enforced) is drive in 2 marked lanes straddling a lane marking going in the same direction to overtake a bicycle - you are only allowed to drive on the line markings to change lanes and a few other limited circumstances (rule 146(1)). Note bicycles aren't obstructions.

When travelling in 2 lines of traffic (as opposed to lanes), rule 146(2) applies, and it is very similar to 146(1), *except* you are allowed to not drive completely in a single line of traffic if it is not practicable.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 am

Thank you both for refreshing my memory.

So basically: If the 'lane' is wide enough to pass safely, a vehicle may do so. If the lane is not wide enough to pass safely (e.g. a typical 3.5m wide lane) then the driver must change lanes to overtake. If there are double or single unbroken centrelines this is illegal.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
Would you advise me to zip my jersey down to my belly button? :mrgreen:
And suggestively lick your bib straps 8)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:43 pm

cowled wrote:And here is the footage of Monday's muppet on Fairfield Rd ...

This section of road is a 70km/h zone, so this MM would be looking at a decent fine in the near future. A damn shame they didn't bring the law into effect as expected in January.
:shock:

That was close.

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 pm

Summernight wrote:
:shock:

That was close.
And totally unnecessary. It is difficult to see this as laziness by the driver. It definitely felt deliberate to me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:19 pm

wellington_street wrote:Thank you both for refreshing my memory.

So basically: If the 'lane' is wide enough to pass safely, a vehicle may do so. If the lane is not wide enough to pass safely (e.g. a typical 3.5m wide lane) then the driver must change lanes to overtake. If there are double or single unbroken centrelines this is illegal.
Correct, except current police interpretation is that if a car "shares" a narrow lane with you, as long as they don't hit you thats ok too (hence the general recommendation to ride wide in the lane if its too narrow to share, to avoid the "invitation/temptation" to "share").

I don't *personally* care/get bothered though, *as long as* they stay away from me and don't rely on an assumption there is no traffic approaching around the blind corner.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:57 pm

il padrone wrote:Rule 129 applies - "as far left as practicable". Applies to all drivers (well how's that?). You be the judge of what is practicable, not the car driver blowing his/her horn.
the road.
Yep, note that it says to keep to the far left of the "road", not the far left of the "lane". In other words, don 'to drive/ride too close to the middle of the road or you might have a head-on collision!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:22 pm

queequeg wrote:
il padrone wrote:Rule 129 applies - "as far left as practicable". Applies to all drivers (well how's that?). You be the judge of what is practicable, not the car driver blowing his/her horn.
the road.
Yep, note that it says to keep to the far left of the "road", not the far left of the "lane". In other words, don 'to drive/ride too close to the middle of the road or you might have a head-on collision!
Note that "road" in the context of this rule excludes all road related areas such as the shoulder, bicycle awareness zones etc. So really it does mean the left of the "lane" because the shoulders aren't part of the "road".

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:28 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Note that "road" in the context of this rule excludes all road related areas such as the shoulder, bicycle awareness zones etc. So really it does mean the left of the "lane" because the shoulders aren't part of the "road".
Except on roads where there are no marked shoulders or such things, which covers most suburban streets that I ride on.
at least one of the council areas I ride through was at least kind enough to position the bicycle logos out in the middle, not off to the side, so even though they have no legal standing, at least motorists can expect to see bicycles in a prominent road position.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi