Wide Road Shoes

GTRmon7

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby GTRmon7 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 am

For what it's worth, since this thread is open again, I purchased a pair of SIDI 6.6 Megas (from Velo). They recommended heat mouldable Shimano inserts and we set them up in the store on the day. The 6.6s are an expensive option, but it's been an enormous improvement to my riding. Don't really care for the patent leather look of the SIDIs, but they are an excellent shoe.

Previously I was wearing slightly too large LG Revos; I didn't have enough room in the toe box, but the shoe was loose elsewhere. This meant my foot moved around and my knees rotated in ways they shouldn't have, contributing to lower back pain on long rides. It was subtle enough that I didn't really know what was going on at the time, but having shoes that fit poperly and snugly with a semi-orthotic ssole support I can see how bad the previous shoes were. Getting some good in store advice also helped change my cleat positioning and that's definitely helped too.

If you're having problems with poorly fitting shoes I would strongly recommend getting wide shoes that fit snugly and properly. It might not be cheap, but then neither is a knee reconstruction!

cplus

Postby cplus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:45 am

Shoes are in, to recap I tried the following

Bont Vaypor & Vaypor Plus - too hard basket to even get some to try on that fit.
Giro Factor - toe box too small
Shimano 315 - sole not wide enough
S-Works - built for very thin feet. Nice though.

then finally stumble across the 315 replacement which now comes in an E fit! Sweet.

Fit it like a glove, cheapest of the lot, possibly stiffest of the lot, heat mouldable and come with adjustable arch insoles, so save $30-$40 there too.

And look at the weight!

Shimano R-320E

roboat

Postby roboat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:14 pm

got these from pushys online Shimano SH-R088 Road Shoes Black Wide Fit $110.00 seem good i have very wide feet did not think i would find these so comfy here is link
http://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-sh-r08 ... e-fit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm 4 weeks into a 10-12 week wait for 'custom' Bont shoes (Apparently my weirdo feet aren't a common size and are wide to boot!). Sigh c'mon shoes...

MDL

Postby MDL » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:11 am

Tried the Bont's in a Normal. Have numb feet issues. (was on the border, should have know better),

Picked up a set of the R-320E from ebay for $102 new/2nd hand, feel alot better but still having some issues. My feet arn't that wide which is the part i'm having a hard time to understand.

Toe box is free, it's a width issue for sure. Or the peddles, speed plays. Just wondering if the rock (right/left) in the speedplays have something to do with it or the base of a set of shamino's may be a little better.

MDL

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 am

Could be a volume thing. Sidi Megas are higher than the Shimanos. Does the strap centre properly over the top, or is it close to maxed out?

The float in the pedals and cleats shouldn't affect numbness in the foot.