Removing a Gazelle Bottom Bracket

VeloGiro

Removing a Gazelle Bottom Bracket

Postby VeloGiro » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:57 am

Hi folks - Has anyone had any experience in removing the little plastic cover on the LHS of the innergy BB?
I have tried gently prizing it off and unlike all other BB shells there are no tool hole marks of anything to get any purchase on the sucker ~ 15,000 K's and the BB is approaching being on its last legs...looks like a standard width BB so replacements not a biggie - getting that plastic cover has me beaten at this point though!

Cheers - Johnno

Nobody

Re: Removing a Gazelle Bottom Bracket

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:57 am

If it is a Shimano cartridge BB like a UN-54, then it has a plastic sleeve with an inner spline that requires a special Shimano BB tool to remove it.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks nobody (that a tricky thing to say!) - I actually have a BB tool as suggested... its more the plastic capping that "seals" the BB and covers the inner spline as such...

Cheers

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:12 pm

I called the Gazelle Guys - Even they had to have a think about this one! Seems the Bottom bracket configuration is another quirk of dutch bike engineers...unlike to majority of the worlds bicycles you would access the bottom bracket from the left side to remove it, or to adjust it...But not the dutch in this instance - there is no thread on the left side of the bottom bracket ...The plastic cover is actually pressed into the frame and held by friction requiring a special tool! You indeed access the bottom bracket from the right side but again require a special tool (perhaps the same tool?) to do same...the RHS fittings are again pressed rather than threaded into place!

There had to be a reason that i couldn't work this one out I knew i was in trouble when I thought "its just a screw on cover - I'll have a crack at prizing it off"... with a screwdriver , or multigrps or something in my toolkit surely! - When it became apartment that there was no internal thread (the bottom of the cap was now a mangled mess),It was at this time that i called in the experts. Its always a bit humiliating to start the phone call with...."I have just done this stupid thing"...and well HELP!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks for the update. :)

Have fun getting/using the special tool(s). :P