Overshoes/Booties - Canberra Winter

TonyMax

Overshoes/Booties - Canberra Winter

Postby TonyMax » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:58 am

Folks,

Any recommendations for overshoes to keep my feet warm in the Canberra winter? How much do I need to worry about it given most things warm up as I ride anyway?

Any recommendations for brands and/or places to get them would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony

lobstermash

Re: Overshoes/Booties - Canberra Winter

Postby lobstermash » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:39 am

I just wear thick socks in winter, like Explorers or similar. They still get cold, but not excessively so. If you've got really well ventilated shoes you might need booties.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Ground effects do some nice winter socks, but generally a nice pair of merino ones work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

My extremities tend to get cold quickly, especially when doing something like cycling. I use some cheap and cheerful torpedo7 neoprene shoe covers. They work really well and also offer decent rain protection even though they aren't meant to be waterproof and shoes still get a bit wet from the opening around the sole.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Depends what kind of riding you are talking about, and for how long.

I don't get cold easily, but I couldn't live without my booties for sub-freeezing 6am Ballarat winter rides. And I know that Canberra weather scoffs at what passes for cold here (-5°C is as cold as I've seen so far).

I got mine as part of a warm gear bundle from Planet X or On-One or whatever brand they were selling as that day. They're neoprene. Very notably warmer than going without.

I don't bother with any different socks to what I wear in summer, because I know they fit comfortably in my shoes.

My winter kit is summer kit plus a merino undershirt, plus arm and leg warmers, plus a windproof gillet, plus winter gloves, plus the overshoes, plus a fleece or merino scull cap. Pretty much in that order as it gets colder. Sometimes my bum gets cold with just a single layer of lycra on it, but that does me okay for 1-2 hour early morning road rides up here.

If you're out pre-dawn in the -8°C bidon-freezing misery that can be a Canberra winter, you'll want something over your shoes.

tim

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:20 pm

I have icebreaker socks tony - they're a bit pricey - ie $50 per pair, but make a huuuuge difference to comfort. i'm not cold when I start off, but 20 -30 mins into the ride that's when my feet start to get cold simply due to the plastic nature of the shoes. you can also take out the sole of your shoe and shove some newspaper over any spare cleat holes because cold air gets in everywhere.

you can buy icebreakers from paddy pallins or off the website - you'd want the hike crew socks which are like a level 3 of warmth. you'll still need neoprene boots over the top I expect but the super socks take them from me from about may to july. I just can't handle trying to wiggle overshoes on each and every morning. I've got some bbb ones.

seddo

Postby seddo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:29 am

Wife and I are going to give these a go
http://www.twowheelcool.com/products/to ... er-celeste" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:43 pm

I've got some Louis Garneau neoprene overshoes that are pretty good. I bought them from Ride Shop in Braddon, not sure if they still sell them though. Last time I was there (a few months ago) they had just one pair left in the clearance bin.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 pm

seddo wrote:Wife and I are going to give these a go
http://www.twowheelcool.com/products/to ... er-celeste" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers
I find toe covers are only good for around zero degrees or maybe -1 degrees tops.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:51 pm

seddo wrote:Wife and I are going to give these a go

cheers
He he he he.. Dishwasher safe? Don't think they would be getting into our dishwasher at home. Maybe at work?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:20 pm

with ice breaker socks I didn't bother with overboots till it was about -4. I hate trying to haul them on over shoes.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:07 am

I have real problems with cold feet in winter and most my rides are early morning and longer 2 hrs. In Melbourne it is bad enough (often around zero in outer suburbs and hills), but I do a bit in canberra as well where it is zero or below for a great deal of mornings.

I use multiple pairs merino wool socks as soon as it drops below 10, and below 5 I go for the neoprene over shoes as well. The over shoes I've used for a few years are endura ones I bought from chain reaction for pretty cheap. I find them great, able to deal with a bit of wet pretty well too:)