BNA Losers Club 2014

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Mugglechops

Re: BNA Losers Club 2014

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 am

I ate less and rode more this week

15/02/14 122.3kgs
22/02/14 120.2kgs

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:59 am

Well done

spacehopper

Postby spacehopper » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:09 am

Ok I'm in currently at 105kg wanting to get below 90.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:10 am

Okay. Got the scales out this morning out of curiosity more than anything else.

Last time I was weighed it was by Medicare Local about November I think. I weighed 134 kg then.

Since January I have been commuting to work more days than not. Stuck to the strict diet. Lost a whole notch off my belt. And now I weigh in at a dainty 133.6 kgs on our scales. However I probably have a few coins etc on me I am not that pedantic.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:42 am

Toolish wrote:In that case

17/02/2014 - 91.2kg.

Started the Maffetone 2 week test today. Hoping this time next week to be sub 90kg.
24/02/2014 - 90.2

Was a bit lower through the week, but the weekend binge hurt me a bit!

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:52 am

Out of curiosity...I did some maths this morning it is a bit rough but does put a perspective on this weight thing...

When I was 10 I was taller than my parents and my teachers in school.

When I walk through a door I turn to the side to ensure I do not clip the door frame with my shoulders.

So using my measurements and assuming I am a cylinder I shrunk my body down to a more average height of 1.727 and a more average chest of 100 cm. Using this and cubing etc I calculated if I was a smaller person with a smaller frame I would be about 80 kgs. Still overweight accoridng to BMI. Interesting though as a curiosity.

This is probably why most people on meeting me dont think I am overweight or not as overweight as I really am... Still kind of off topic, as I said just a curiosity nothing more

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:54 pm

dynamictiger wrote:Lost a whole notch off my belt.
A notch off your belt is great progress! Since starting out, I have lost 3. I prefer notches to kilos.
dynamictiger wrote:This is probably why most people on meeting me dont think I am overweight or not as overweight as I really am... Still kind of off topic, as I said just a curiosity nothing more
I'm the same. I can be borderline obese and not look that fat. The bad news is that is the worst kind of fat... internal. I have heard the term TOFI (thin outside, fat inside). This is why we can't rely on BMI.
'Our work so far has shown that you can take two men of the same age, with the same BMI [body mass index], and find one with five litres of fat within him and another with two litres,' said Bell, who works at Hammersmith Hospital, west London. 'We've even scanned people who are underweight and found up to seven litres of fat inside them.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2006 ... lth.health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Interesting article.

I was really trying to say, given my build I am not very likely to get to the underside of 100 kgs and if I did I would probably be considered ill. Last time I weighed correct to the BMI was about 9.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:20 pm

I'm hoping your program doesn't talk about bmi tiger. If it focussed on that, it would not only be next to useless for a large proportion of the population, but would give you unreasonable expectations.

Having some weightlifters in the family, I know how unreasonable bmi is. When my BIL was 16 he went to a gym with a mate for the first time and lifted 20kg above the state record at the time. He was not built like the others!! Myself? I'm a full shoulder width broader than my sisters and will never weigh what they do despite being similar height. I have more weight in lean muscle than the total weight of one of my sisters when she was 9 months pregnant!!

Body fat measurements with calipers may hurt but are pretty good to see changes, or as CC said, the belt notches are a good indicator and cheaper ;)

I see bmi like the food pyramid. Sold to the world by an "expert" and the world didn't question it. Now you can see why I think there is value in questioning these so called experts.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:54 pm

No, no one seems silly enough to mention BMI at Medicare Local...maybe they found out?

The last doctor to suggest the BMI to me was about 15-18 years ago and he told me for my height my BMI weight was about 86 kgs...After I finished laughing I did manage to ask "yeah okay and what happens when I turn 9?"

I do have a perspective on the BMI. Again I dont want to take this thread off course to a discussion not really related however it is a different perspective.

New Zealand is often winning Rugby on the world stage...New Zealanders tend to be heavy set, thickly built people

Western Australians are often tall and thin - they make good AFL players

Samoans are generally very much the epitomy of round happy people

Tongans are the people you generally send to lift a bank safe out by hand (I have seen this I am not joking)

Looking at the BMI it originated in Belgium before my country of birth was discovered.

I think for various reasons environmental factors influence genetics more than we realise and this is why you end up with this small example of diversity I have outlined above. To then try and apply the BMI to an invidual from any of the above groups will result in huge errors. This is my take on it anyway.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:13 pm

You kinda took me the wrong way DT. I was meaning (in my round about way ;) ) that bmi was developed by an expert in his field yet you are able to discount this as not being relevent to you. I understand that - me neither. But then you say that you aren't interested in any advice re diet as your program has been set by an expert and therefore must be right.

I'm not knocking your program or your efforts, but think you may benefit from being more open minded about some suggestions. I've lost 3 kilos since feb 1 by changing my breakfast to someing nutritionally dense that contains 3 serves of fruit and 4 of veges, and that doesn't have me getting hungry for 6 hours. It is 100 calories more than I used to have wyoghurt and muesli which had me gnawing at my desk by 10am. I'm open to suggestions for other breakfast options though - there are always other options.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I'm open to suggestions for other breakfast options though - there are always other options.
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Zucchini Pie With Cilantro, Cumin and Lime

http://balancedplatter.com/zucchini-pie ... -and-lime/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remove the garlic.
<removed by request>

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:05 pm

You're not helping me lose weight by posting photos for food, even if it is healthy food. :lol:

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:23 pm

If I choose to eat egg for breakfast my instructions are 1 only.

When I was told 30 grams of cereal I almost fell over...see previous posts for why.

I tried it and was surprised. I actually find it fine now...surprisingly enough.

But hey that sure does look nice.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:25 pm

One egg...

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Yep...Thats what I am told...Interesting in contrast to the high protein pathway.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:58 pm

I ate two eggs last night

kb

Postby kb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm

You tease!

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:49 pm

So DT, why only one egg?

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:56 pm

No idea...Just what I am told to do. For breakfast I am to have 30 gm of non sugary cereal or one egg...

I actually dont mind the cereal as it happens, so havent bothered with the egg option.

Again I feel like we are hijacking this thread and I really dont want to do this.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Your not highjaking the thread, people in the thread are asking questions of what you're doing, you can choose to answer or not answer, your choice.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:13 pm

dynamictiger wrote:Again I feel like we are hijacking this thread and I really dont want to do this.
I vote it is not a thread hijack. Finding what people are doing and how they are doing is all part of the purpose of the thread. I hope we all see some good progress this year.
<removed by request>

newie

Postby newie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:32 pm

OK. So I had some old, mechanical scales, which I knew read a couple of kilos light and aren't that consistent or reliable. So I figured I needed to be able to track things a bit better if I am planning to drop a few kilos. So I bought some new scales. I have also drifted up a kilo or two in the past couple of months, which I need to reverse.

We will take today as 'Day 1".
26 Feb
Weight 62.5 kg
Body Fat 24.5% (I don't trust this number to be accurate in absolute terms, but hopefully it will follow any significant trends).
BMI 24
Waist measurement 75.5 cms. This is unlikely to change much as I carry the excess mostly around the bum and thighs.

I am currently at the upper end of the healthy ranges for all of the measures. I do think I am reasonably healthy (low cholestrol, low resting heart rate, good blood pressure, doctor has described me as "small" and wishes more patients were like me). The motivation for weight loss is mostly related to improving cycling performance and to a lesser extent, aesthetics.

Goal = 57 kg. Timeframe = however long is necessary to make this my new "set-point". By the end of the year perhaps, September if it goes well.
Now I just need to commit to making those few small changes that I know are necessary to reach and maintain this.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:57 pm

newie wrote:Goal = 57 kg. Timeframe = however long is necessary to make this my new "set-point". By the end of the year perhaps, September if it goes well.
Welcome! You can do this. I have gone from one weight to a new weight. Set-point or leptin threshold theory is that you will be hungry at your new weight and eat yourself back to your old weight or more. IMO this is rubbish! I was hungry at my new set-point for a while but I kept eating well and the hunger went away. The only weird thing was getting used to eating smaller meals. Some of my meals looked like joke meals compared to before.
newie wrote:Now I just need to commit to making those few small changes that I know are necessary to reach and maintain this.
That's the hard part but the only way it will work in the long term.

For me it is dropping what others call discretionary calories but I call gratuitous calories. These are nothing to do with nutrition or need. They are simply foods I eat for the sake of it and for no other reason. Now, if I could cut those down... :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:12 pm

I will join ...again :oops:
Feb 26 ... BMI 26
Feb is always my hardest month, Jan follows closely behind... cold, wet and not racing. Season for me starts soon so motivation will start coming back I hope!.