Old mans valley for beginner?

Strings001

Old mans valley for beginner?

Postby Strings001 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm an experienced rider, but I've never been on a MTB track before and quite apprehensive about it. Mostly other riders speeding away and my lack of experience through these tracks. To anyone that has been on the old mans valley track, are there any tips/advice before I try it out? How is it on the fitness side of things?

zero

Re: Old mans valley for beginner?

Postby zero » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 am

Strings001 wrote:I'm an experienced rider, but I've never been on a MTB track before and quite apprehensive about it. Mostly other riders speeding away and my lack of experience through these tracks. To anyone that has been on the old mans valley track, are there any tips/advice before I try it out? How is it on the fitness side of things?
If you want to be slow, just pull to the side and let people through when you can (its a general rule for MTB single track riding, and one that is often formalized in event rules). That way you can ride at your own pace and you can deal with technical obstacles in your own time.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Unfortunately some bits of the trail do demand a minimum speed or you can get into trouble ... thinking mainly the elevated woodwork. You don't want to lose your balance if you can help it, the couple of feet drop is awkward!

For fitness, it is very different. It doesn't thrash you like a nasty steep climb, it's only a short lap maybe 3km.

Where infrequent riders get into trouble is your bike control starts to go south when you get tired and after 4-5 laps of the blue circuit I start noticing little mistakes creeping in and I usually pull the pin right then lest I do something silly and hurt myself.

Great track tho' - lots of fun for the intermediate rider.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:23 pm

If you want an intro to some of the other tracks around the north of Sydney I'm happy to play tour Barbie. There's some nice singletrack around if you know where to look, that will be a bit.less intimidating. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Might be a couple of weeks away... I'm trying to let what might be a minor tear in my knee settle down.

lardass71

Postby lardass71 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 pm

zero wrote:
Strings001 wrote:I'm an experienced rider, but I've never been on a MTB track before and quite apprehensive about it. Mostly other riders speeding away and my lack of experience through these tracks. To anyone that has been on the old mans valley track, are there any tips/advice before I try it out? How is it on the fitness side of things?
If you want to be slow, just pull to the side and let people through when you can (its a general rule for MTB single track riding, and one that is often formalized in event rules). That way you can ride at your own pace and you can deal with technical obstacles in your own time.
no that's just common courtesy , it's not a general rule and certainly not at an MTB event unless they have done a 180, if your riding with no one in front of you, take your time and enjoy your trail, if someone wants to get passed you, they will do so when it's safe to do so and call what side there passing you on, you don't need to get out of there way at all, that's a general MTB event rule

andycross

Postby andycross » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:19 pm

trailgumby wrote:If you want an intro to some of the other tracks around the north of Sydney I'm happy to play tour Barbie. There's some nice singletrack around if you know where to look, that will be a bit.less intimidating. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
I'd PM but somehow I can't create new messages.....
But yes, I'd be interested.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:56 am

I've sent you a message. Let me know here if you've been able to pick it up or not.