2014 Cycling Fatalities

Aushiker

Re: 2014 Cycling Fatalities

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Stefan, my understanding is that truck driver was in the centre lane.
Safe Cycling Australia has an update which may add some clarity to situation.

Andrew

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:55 pm

There is no centre lane. There is a left lane that's pretty chopped up and a right lane. Then there are two lanes heading in bound on the other side of the road.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:59 pm

I think whoever has included the shoulder where trucks usually park as a lane. Hence the 3 lanes. Either that or the merging lane.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:Stefan, my understanding is that truck driver was in the centre lane.

Andrew
Thanks for that Andrew, but I am still confused, and inexplicably emotional and angry about this. I was at a crit event this morning where there were many UQ riders. I'd appreciate SCA's clarification as to why he is disgusted to be a Qld'er.

And as Briztoon said above, there's no centre lane on that stretch of Lytton Rd, or any part of it. It's a 4 lane carriage way at most, afaik. The climb towards the north bound on ramp of the Gateway Bridge has no shoulder whatsoever...and I gave up using it over a year ago, after being given no room by 2 truck drivers with doggies...no traffic in the inner lane. They were just bloody minded.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:19 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I think whoever has included the shoulder where trucks usually park as a lane. Hence the 3 lanes. Either that or the merging lane.
Sorry Luke, there's no shoulder there. The left lane literally crumbles in to rock and scree. I think you are thinking of the inbound stretch of Lytton Road that's on the other side of the Gateway where the big intersection is with the on/off roads to the Port Of Brisbane Motorway. Probably the best part of 1km away from the scene of the accident.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:02 pm

briztoon wrote:There is no centre lane. There is a left lane that's pretty chopped up and a right lane. Then there are two lanes heading in bound on the other side of the road.
When I first read it, I took it as meaning the lane closest to the centre line, either way it is being reported the truck was in what I understand is referred to as lane 2 at least, i.e., not the left lane. Given the frequent discussions about close passing I was under the impression passing in the lane to the right was considered a "safe pass". I am not sure what else could be expected of the driver if the cyclists where in the left lane (lane 1).

Andrew

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:08 pm

briztoon wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I think whoever has included the shoulder where trucks usually park as a lane. Hence the 3 lanes. Either that or the merging lane.
Sorry Luke, there's no shoulder there. The left lane literally crumbles in to rock and scree. I think you are thinking of the inbound stretch of Lytton Road that's on the other side of the Gateway where the big intersection is with the on/off roads to the Port Of Brisbane Motorway. Probably the best part of 1km away from the scene of the accident.
So it was the climb from Metroplex Ave to the servo?

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
briztoon wrote:
So it was the climb from Metroplex Ave to the servo?
Yup. Accident happened where the road bends to the right.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Bloody hell. That's even worse.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:35 pm

That's a nasty piece of road there... I too stopped riding there for safety reasons...

Absolutely gutted for the family... RIP...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Stefan_A wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Stefan, my understanding is that truck driver was in the centre lane.

Andrew
Thanks for that Andrew, but I am still confused, and inexplicably emotional and angry about this. I was at a crit event this morning where there were many UQ riders. I'd appreciate SCA's clarification as to why he is disgusted to be a Qld'er.

And as Briztoon said above, there's no centre lane on that stretch of Lytton Rd, or any part of it. It's a 4 lane carriage way at most, afaik. The climb towards the north bound on ramp of the Gateway Bridge has no shoulder whatsoever...and I gave up using it over a year ago, after being given no room by 2 truck drivers with doggies...no traffic in the inner lane. They were just bloody minded.
Not speaking for SCA, but I understood the disgusted to be a Qld'er related to the comments on a "news"papers Facebook page, that indicated a complete lack of sympathy for the victim, on account of them being a cyclist.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 pm

A truly tragic accident from what I have heard.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:49 am

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/brea ... 6842719366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More sad news .... Another struck from behind.

RIP

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:59 am

*shakes head*

Daus

Postby Daus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:37 pm

So sad another tragic waste of a promising young life- words cannot express how I feel, my sympathies to the father who was also on the ride- don't know if I could handle the death of one of my children. When is society going to stop accepting this waste of lives and create better infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists instead of speding so much on tunnels and bridges to further crowd our cities with cars and trucks- what value is our TAX dollar?

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Daus wrote:So sad another tragic waste of a promising young life- words cannot express how I feel, my sympathies to the father who was also on the ride- don't know if I could handle the death of one of my children. When is society going to stop accepting this waste of lives and create better infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists instead of speding so much on tunnels and bridges to further crowd our cities with cars and trucks- what value is our TAX dollar?
Again, this was a TRULY UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENT.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Fatal crash - Kilburn (SA)

The State's road toll has risen to 18 following a fatal crash at Kilburn this afternoon.

Just before 1pm, police and emergency crews were called to the intersection of Churchill Road and Carroll Avenue, where a truck and a cyclist crashed. The male cyclist was taken to hosiptal but had since died.

Motorists are advised that Churchill Road between Regency Road and Grand Junction Road is closed in both directions until further notice.

SA Police

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:47 am

It saddens me that a 49 yo velosister has succumbed to the injuries received in a collision in West Lakes, Sth Australia last Saturday.
I never met her but I miss her presence :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Cyclist killed in Currambine this morning. Very sad and so unnecessary :(

Andrew

kx315

Postby kx315 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:37 am

Very sad indeed :(
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:57 am

Aushiker wrote:Cyclist killed in Currambine this morning. Very sad and so unnecessary :(

Andrew
Regarding the Currambine crash, my third-hand info is that the cyclist pulled out onto Moore Drive from Christchurch and was hit by a through vehicle on Moore Drive. Take with a grain of salt but very sad if true.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:22 am

Cyclist killed in Victoria in interaction with truck ... little details at this stage - The Age :(

Edit: A bit more of an indication as to where it happened in this The Standard post. Looks like a country road with no shoulder and fairly good sight lines going by Google Street View.

Andrew

kx315

Postby kx315 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Some very sad news from WA this morning :cry: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6879837538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Another death in Sydney on a bright sunny Saturday arvo :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:Cyclist killed in Victoria in interaction with truck ... little details at this stage - The Age :(

Edit: A bit more of an indication as to where it happened in this The Standard post. Looks like a country road with no shoulder and fairly good sight lines going by Google Street View.
They seem to have the location of the collision all mixed up in the address given there. Colac-Ballarat Rd is a country road northwards out of Colac however it describes the collision as "near Coades Lane". This is a small street in Colac township. The two do not intersect. :? :?:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."