Gretaboy’s recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
find_bruce

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:54 am

Braking & changing gears is probably great therapy for your hands too :mrgreen:

westab

Postby westab » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:08 am

find_bruce wrote:Braking & changing gears is probably great therapy for your hands too :mrgreen:
Also the spirit, the head, and so many other things.... ah just too many to think about.

Great work Gretaboy - just fab :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:28 am

gretaboy wrote:Found out today that there are some recumbent trikes here at the rehab unit, am pushing hard to get access to them so I can get out on the little track they have here. Saw another patient doing laps this morning and I was jealous.

even asked about bringing my last road bike here with a stationary trainer to practice and got told they already have a stationary trainer....things are looking up, might be on a bike sooner than I thought
Awesome - I hope to pay you another visit shortly.
gretaboy wrote:Saw another patient doing laps this morning and I was jealous.
That's very, very good. 8)

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:55 am

I can see a short track race/kom battle ensuing!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:19 am

gretaboy wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Found out today that there are some recumbent trikes here at the rehab unit...
Oh dear...I'm assuming the beard has already started growing and the sandals are on order? ;)
Haha...no fear of the beard happening. I would b kicked out to the doghouse permanently if I had anything close to resembling a beard.

I see the recumbent as another way to strengthen my right leg....to get moving by pedal would b so good
Rehab tool only...means to an end. We can't afford to lose you completely,to the dark side!! ;)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Did it...got myself onto a recumbent trike today and had some fun...my aim now is to try and get on the trike each day and cycle, build the cardio and legs up

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Woo hoo!! Strava ?? :mrgreen:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 pm

find_bruce wrote:Woo hoo!! Strava ?? :mrgreen:
How funny you say that, said to the rehab staff member who oversaw my first attempt that I might have to create a strava segment...but strava segments are now in the past

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:07 am

gretaboy wrote:
How funny you say that, said to the rehab staff member who oversaw my first attempt that I might have to create a strava segment...but strava segments are now in the past
What do you mean the past? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:54 pm

I wish him well and a good recovery, I myself have just come home from close to 4 months in hospital with 3 of those being at a spinal rehab facility in Melbourne, So when I say I have an understanding of what Gretaboy has been going through I mean it. From the video that trailgumby posted it looks like you are going really well, I hope it keeps up at the same rate and does not plateau any time soon. My injury is a lot lower down and I'm still getting about on crutches and a wheelchair for longer distances. Keep up the good work as you are only going to get better and stronger if your moving that well only a month after your accident!
Cheers
Jim.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:08 pm

I wish you both speedy recoveries.

Depending on the nature of your injuries recumbent trikes might be good options for you both long term. The ultimate recumbent trike of course is a velomobile. I have a mango sport velomobile which is my daily commuter. I have done over 10000kms now and still really enjoy it. It is slower up hills since it weighs 30kgs, but its about 25% faster on the flats and even better on the downhills.

I really hope you both make full recoveries that make all options available to you, but I just thought I'd let you know that if you are going to be restricted to a recumbent trike, you can still have a LOT of fun!!!!

Oh and 9 of my 10 strava KOMs were set in the velomobile, so thats not ruled out either.

PPS - Whilst strongly recommended, wizard beards and sandals are not actually mandatory to ride recumbents ;-)

westab

Postby westab » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:08 pm

gretaboy wrote:
How funny you say that, said to the rehab staff member who oversaw my first attempt that I might have to create a strava segment...but strava segments are now getting fast
corrected that for you

ps log the kms - its the road back to commuting so I say that they count (any other who have a different opionion feel free to be wrong :mrgreen: )

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Jimbobtwoshoes wrote:I wish him well and a good recovery, I myself have just come home from close to 4 months in hospital with 3 of those being at a spinal rehab facility in Melbourne, So when I say I have an understanding of what Gretaboy has been going through I mean it. From the video that trailgumby posted it looks like you are going really well, I hope it keeps up at the same rate and does not plateau any time soon. My injury is a lot lower down and I'm still getting about on crutches and a wheelchair for longer distances. Keep up the good work as you are only going to get better and stronger if your moving that well only a month after your accident!
Cheers
Jim.
Jim, am sorry to hear that you have had and am on a similar journey as the one I am on

All I can say is stay positive, you are alive, life is great. This thread is about my journey but please feel free to also share your achievements here.

I am so lucky with what I have regained but I am aslo stubborn and refuse to let this beat me

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:16 pm

I agree with you 100% there mate :) I'm walking so far as I'm concerned anything else is a bonus as my legs did not work at all for about 6 weeks.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Jim I am wishing you a continued full recovery as well - actually to both of you gentlemen. Keep up the good work. Thinking of you both now.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:18 am

Amazing to see the recovery efforts. Keep it up.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:03 am

I have had some great news in the last day or so re ongoing support and rehab. The nsw system changed regarding cover travelling to and from work, now people are covered by a new program which every driver contributes via ctp...look at your ctp slip/paper and you will a small amount goes to this program. We were informed yesterday that I have been accepted into the program...this is a huge relief to us, especially with regards my ongoing rehab once out of this rehab unit.

I am also hoping they will assist me getting back on a bike or recumbent...either buy a recumbent or modify a bike if my balance allows me to ride one.

I have also been given overnight leave from my "prison cell" so we can go and see the Lion King show tomorrow....am even allowed to stay overnight at a hotel. Will make me feel somewhat normal, been six weeks stuck in hospitals.

Also got an appointment with a nuero surgeon on monday re my spinal fractures and hopefully, fingers crossed, my neck brace can come off, sick and tired of the neck brace despite knowing it is there for a good reason.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 am

That's good news - takes a load of worry away. :)

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:44 am

That's great news! The overnight leave and that time with loved ones helps recharge the batteries for the rest of your time in rehab. Good luck with the neck brace I hope it comes off, I shared a room with a fellow wearing one and saw the smile on his face when it came off I'd say it will be the same as the one on your face when it comes off!!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:37 pm

Great to hear GB. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

newbris

Postby newbris » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:32 am

Great news about the ctp cover gretaboy. Hope you and your wife enjoy your night out tonight.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:43 pm

Seems like I won't make it over to see you this weekend. Missus needed the car yesterday and it looks like you're too busy having fun today! :lol:

*Might* be able to get over next Sunday arvo, more likely the following weekend. In the meantime, keep up the good work. See if you can book a pair of those recumbents - I'll bring the GoPros and race you 'round the grounds ;)

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:09 pm

That is great news about the CTP mate. Glad that is one less thing on your mind.
You seem to be getting stronger at a super human rate.
Thanks for sharing your journey GB, and I hope you lose the noose real soon.
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Are we going to hear how your leave pass went, or are you going to make me wait until I visit tomorrow ? :D

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:43 am

First taste of freedom and I reckon he's done a runner. Hope he's not wearing a gown as he may struggle with those ties at the back :shock: ;)

:)