Riding Mt Dandenong-Tourist Road from Montrose?

defy1

Riding Mt Dandenong-Tourist Road from Montrose?

Postby defy1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Does anyone do this or is it considered to unsafe? I've descended a few times, and don't think ever seen a cyclist riding up that way.

Cmm

Re: Riding Mt Dandenong-Tourist Road from Montrose?

Postby Cmm » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I ride that road nearly every weekend and between 7-10am on sat or sun you would struggle riding up there and not see any one :) great road to descend although a pair were hit by a car pulling out of concealed driveway so just need to be wary of this. Great consistent climb to get a good rythym on.

Note: assuming you are meaning up to kalarama or sky high from montrose.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:21 pm

It's not too bad early on. I usually get there at the end of my ride so it tends to be a little busy. An alternative is to go further round to Mt Evelyn and up Inverness Rd. Pretty, but steep.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:10 pm

I've done it many times, usually around 8:30-9 am on a Sunday and it's fine.

Also a nice morning climb in winter, gets some early sun (if there is any) and less chilly than 1:20 because the mountain blocks the southerly a bit.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:39 pm

oh ok I did a couple laps of Inverness Rd and descended via Mt Dandy Tourist Road but didn't see anyone, but this was in the afternoon so maybe that's why.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:16 am

Perfectly safe road for cycling and one of the easier ascents up Mt Dandenong. It's probably not as busy for cycling up as some of the other routes simply because it leads away from the city.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:57 pm

I ride it a bit, DJW, but not sure I agree with your "perfectly safe" description.

A guy died a month ago in Kalorama, for instance.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:17 pm

clackers wrote:I ride it a bit, DJW, but not sure I agree with your "perfectly safe" description.

A guy died a month ago in Kalorama, for instance.
The guy that died was going downhill not uphill. Downhill is relatively safe (the guy who died was extremely unfortunate as it was a collision on a blind corner with a car pulling out of a driveway) rather than perfectly safe - nowhere is perfectly safe on a bike I guess.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:15 pm

But the OP was descending!

I also think you're leaving out the narrow roads, narrow shoulders, blind curves and a mixture of local drivers who know what they're doing and visitors who don't.

Like I say, I ride the Dandenongs but people thinking of trying them ought to be aware of the risks and look to ride during week days or very early on the weekends.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm

clackers wrote:But the OP was descending! .....
...but they were asking about the climb.

It's as safe or dangerous as any road, and a nice climb and descent. Much fewer cyclists, and less traffic I reckon, than 1:20, which can be a bit like Bourke St on weekends.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

defy1

Postby defy1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:24 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Much fewer cyclists, and less traffic I reckon, than 1:20, which can be a bit like Bourke St on weekends.
Feel safer when there is more cyclists actually. Strength in numbers I guess

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Ridden up and down that way many a time all times of the day and night. Never found it anymore or less dangerous than the other roads on the hill...

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:00 pm

clackers wrote:But the OP was descending!

I also think you're leaving out the narrow roads, narrow shoulders, blind curves and a mixture of local drivers who know what they're doing and visitors who don't.

Like I say, I ride the Dandenongs but people thinking of trying them ought to be aware of the risks and look to ride during week days or very early on the weekends.
Yeah, but he was asking about the ascent.

The Dandenongs are no more risky than anywhere else to ride, I live in the Dandenongs and ride here all the time, the nature of the roads is such that it is very difficult for drivers to hit high speeds and overtaking is restricted due to the corners, so in fact the roads are advantageous to cyclists because of the fact that drivers have no option but to wait to pass when it's safe. Of course you get some idiots, but far fewer in my experience than on the busier straight roads in the burbs. However, as with all riding, caution is required because accidents happen, as happened when that poor guy died the other week, but in all my time here, I've only heard of that one fatality and have never seen anybody injured or hit by a vehicle. Compare that to the CBD for example where fatalities and accidents are commonplace. Also, I disagree with your assertion about when is safe to ride, I ride on the weekend mornings and afternoons depending on my enthusiasm for it or evenings during the weeks when it's getting dark and I wouldn't consider the roads to be less safe in the afternoons or evening. If you ride with due care and awareness of the road and conditions, you'll be safe.