Track Race Report Thread

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Track Race Report Thread

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
dalai47 wrote: Now just on two weeks before the Nationals. 8)
Comparing the Victorian and Queenslan Masters results with the NSW results, the cockraoches are gonna clean up the green and gold jerseys in most events. My brother won the NSW MMAS5 pursuit and is 5 seconds quicker than his Victorian and Queensland counterparts. Jayson is 8 seconds quicker in MMAS3. NSW riders would be advised to make that flight. Unfortunately my brother cant get time off work so he will miss an almost certain Australian Title. I also cant get 4 days off but may possibly fly in on the weekend just for the Team Pursuit, depending on who wins at DGV this Sunday.
Entries close tomorrow, so its not too late to declare myself fit to compete. http://www.cycling.org.au/Track/Events/ ... mpionships

I'll be at the team pursuit tomorrow, but I'm still sick but not as bad when I was forced to withdraw from NSW. My 2 team mates are relatively new to track racing and are slower than me, my objective is not to come last :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:50 pm

DD that's a great time that Neil did in the Individual Pursuit. http://nsw.cycling.org.au/Portals/12/RES%20-%20IP.pdf

I've done one IP this year, at Gosford and recorded a similar time to Neil Matthews, who took M6 bronze at the NSW's. All things being equal, if I ran the same time as Neil in M5, that would of placed me 5th just missing out on the bronze shootout. Ah to speculate...

I was looking for the 2013 times for comparison, but nsw cycling site isn't working properly

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:37 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
I'll be at the team pursuit tomorrow.... :)
Me too mate, say gidday then

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 pm

I'll be there with the LACC teams:)

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:57 am

Qld champs were at Chandler (outdoors, concrete). Makes it difficult to compare times - I had a look the other day and have no idea how they'd compare, I'd expect maybe 10sec difference over a pursuit but any breeze could see a "blow" out.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:02 am

Plus from what I'm hearing Chandler is not to smooth now! :wink: Can't wait for the board track to be built, so I can have a ride on the boards before I croak it! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Amy Cure takes out the Womens World Title in the points score. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:I'll be there with the LACC teams:)
Crikey! Phil, help your women's team out. I arrived just before their race and I'm not sure if they're aware that spreading your team over 50m for half the race is not the best way to do it.

I'm making fun of course but if they kept it together I think they quite possibly could have won. Illawarra only had three riders and I'm not sure they had the same speed as lidcombe, they just rode a smarter, controlled race while lidcombe beat themselves.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:28 pm

If that's when you arrived KGB, you would have just missed my team doing the same thing!! We were all first timers in the TP, thoroughly enjoyed, lessons learnt, great experience!! And great to meet DD!!

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:31 pm

The girls had the WMAS5 IP state champ in and all the girls are very strong, gaps cost races:)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:58 pm

This was from the warm up if I remember right:

One other shot:

A few more assorted ones:

A different angle, and a different camera:
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Quality shots!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Cossie Phil wrote: And great to meet DD!!
Great to meet you guys too. :D
Ernie Smith photography has some excellent photos as well.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Likewise Derny Driver. :)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 am

There was some cracking racing in the finals of the team pursuit. World class masters times, with the 150+ only 0.3 off record time and the all ages within a second or so as well.

Fun day, not without some technical drama (which seems to be a common theme in TP each year). Not sure why we bother to have tech regs if the tech commission persist in ignoring them.

I noted that of the 8 medals handed out, 6 of those squads attended the training sessions I had organised. The two that didn't were Vikings (from Canberra) and the Lidcombe women who needed help by the looks of it.

Where were Parramatta, St George, Waratah Vets, Bankstown, Central Coast, Penrith?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:44 am

And where was Dulwich Hill? There was only 3 of us and the other 2 riders had never done a team pursuit or any sort and it was their first state event of any sort. But I was the one who stuffed up...

I decided tonight that I should be over my sickie in time for the Australian Masters Champs, so have entered the IP and the Scratch/Points (hopefully it will be the points). I'm not really sure about the logistics, I've never carried a bike on a plane, where is the velodrome, is there a hotel that's walking distance?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 am

mikesbytes wrote:And where was Dulwich Hill? There was only 3 of us and the other 2 riders had never done a team pursuit or any sort and it was their first state event of any sort. But I was the one who stuffed up...

I decided tonight that I should be over my sickie in time for the Australian Masters Champs, so have entered the IP and the Scratch/Points (hopefully it will be the points). I'm not really sure about the logistics, I've never carried a bike on a plane, where is the velodrome, is there a hotel that's walking distance?
Track is in Darebin, approx 10km north east of the city centre.

http://www.darebininternationalsportsce ... 48&h=1&p=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suggest doing some research. Hotel rooms will be hard to find as it's Grand Prix week. Planes will take bikes that are properly packed in bike boxes or bike carry bags/cases. You may find they charge a large fee, sometimes worse than the ticket itself. Best to call them and ask, and get any arrangement in writing. They might have details online.

You did sort of muck up, but the starter should have asked to reset the clock as your handler was having too much trouble getting you sorted.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks Alex, the problems didn't stop there. Yes I got a slow start but I had to slow on the first lap, ignoring the lead rider so that the third rider could get on my wheel. Then when he said 'on' I went too fast and dropped him. I couldn't hear them properly and didn't know, I would of been better off without the TT helmet, the issue with that team was not my performance, despite being sick. Anyway we managed not to come last despite recording the slowest time I've ever done, including when I blew up in the IP last year

And I spent the rest of day lying on the sofa :(

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi Mike
Was that you I saw TT'ing along the M7 in a DHBC jersey in the rain on Saturday morning? Hard man!
Regards, Marcus
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:There was some cracking racing in the finals of the team pursuit. World class masters times, with the 150+ only 0.3 off record time and the all ages within a second or so as well.

Fun day, not without some technical drama (which seems to be a common theme in TP each year). Not sure why we bother to have tech regs if the tech commission persist in ignoring them.

I noted that of the 8 medals handed out, 6 of those squads attended the training sessions I had organised. The two that didn't were Vikings (from Canberra) and the Lidcombe women who needed help by the looks of it.

Where were Parramatta, St George, Waratah Vets, Bankstown, Central Coast, Penrith?
Alex, one of the ICC boys picked up a wheelbag which was left behind in the area where we were camped. No-one has claimed it yet. If you hear of anyone missing a pair of warmup wheels, let me know.
Danny reckons ICC and Bicisport all age teams did the 4th and 6th fastest masters TP times ever. :D
Tech regs ..hmmm. Its pretty clear that you need 3 teams to be awarded medals. The women had 2 teams ride on the day and they got gold and silver. I know its good to encourage the women to enter but my ex wife has a state gold medal for doing 8 very poor laps. :twisted:
Thanks for doing all those TP training sessions mate, you are a legend and a very gracious and friendly guy. Always great to see you.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:21 pm

MREJ wrote:Hi Mike
Was that you I saw TT'ing along the M7 in a DHBC jersey in the rain on Saturday morning? Hard man!
Regards, Marcus
wasn't me

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Story on the CNSW website now

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Where were Parramatta, St George, Waratah Vets, Bankstown, Central Coast, Penrith?
Disappointing, considering the size of the clubs and the fact most of them have access to a velodrome (at least via another club, eg DGV on a Weds night with Bankstown). Waratah had plenty of riders on the track a few seasons ago, especially at RAW.

I heard St G had at least one mens team preparing - in fact I was present at Hurstville one night when they were training, not sure why they didn't race. I was super keen to get a Southern Cross team going, I'll start early next year and harrass everyone eligible so we can hopefully get at least a 3 man team.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 pm

I've entered the M5 IP and Points at the Aussie masters champs. Air tickets booked. I was hoping to get accom walking distance from the velodrome. Any suggestions please PM me. Is there anyone who could give me a lift?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Tech regs ..hmmm. Its pretty clear that you need 3 teams to be awarded medals. The women had 2 teams ride on the day and they got gold and silver. I know its good to encourage the women to enter but my ex wife has a state gold medal for doing 8 very poor laps. :twisted:
Thanks for doing all those TP training sessions mate, you are a legend and a very gracious and friendly guy. Always great to see you.
A pleasure to help out.

The tech regs I was referring to was the qualifying round - which quite clearly states teams must ride alone on tracks of 333m or less. Once again teams were getting interfered with during qualifying by slower teams or other team's dropped riders getting in the way.

Like you, I've always struggled with the lack of teams thing for awarding of medals. It's application is a little inconsistent.