Richmond to Hallam

Peekay86

Richmond to Hallam

Postby Peekay86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:33 am

Hi There,

I have been riding keenly on paths and trails on mornings and weekends for fitness/fun.

I would ideally like to start commuting to work so I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent way to get from Richmond out to Hallam in the morning peak hour type times?

Cheers!

Uncle Just

Re: Richmond to Hallam

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 pm

The easiset way is to get onto Google maps and select the bicycle option for directions. I just did and it gives 42kms using the GCT, Scotchmans Creek and some roads. Have a play around on the site then ride it to find out whether it needs fine tuning. BTW you'll be going against the majority of commuters heading inbound in peak hour so take extra care on those paths.

Dcyclist

Re: Richmond to Hallam

Postby Dcyclist » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:10 pm

Used to ride Mt. Waverley to Narre Warren going past Hallam. It can certainly be done almost entirely by shared path. However, a few things to consider. Dandenong Creek path from Eastlink to just past "The Valley Hospital" is still gravel, ridable on a roadie but a bit slippery. The paths themselves wind around a lot. My commute mentioned above was 26.5 km mainly by road, or 35.2km mainly by path. I can't help much on the inner urban stretch, but there is a path paralleling the rail line between Carnegie and Centre road Clayton, which isn't too bad. After the Centre road crossing, it is quite easy too get to Westall Rd via quieter Streets. From there you can follow Westall Rd into the Dandenong bypass through to Eastlink or thereabouts, then cut up to Dandenong, Doveton, Hallam. Westall Rd has a bike lane, the bypass has a shared path, and there are numerous paths, service roads, or lanes from Dandenong towards Hallam.
Dave
Merida Scultura 5000
Bianchi C2C Via Nirone