your rain jacket when touring?

philmart

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby philmart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:59 pm

il padrone wrote:That's the myth/misconception of waterproof/breathable fabrics at work. They are breathable, but they are not going to stop you sweating on a ride. Go ride up a hill-climb in a t-shirt. Do you sweat? Well then why do you think you would not sweat wearing a rainjacket?

The breathable bit is all about what happens when you stop working hard, stop riding and cool down. Non-breathable fabrics will leave you in a cold bucket of sweat, at risk of hypothermia on a cold day. Breathable fabrics allow you to dry out when you stop cycling/running/walking :idea:

BTW, if it's warm enough to be wearing short sleeves it's probably too warm to bother with a rainjacket - just get wet, and dry out when the rain stops. Breathable fabrics all work poorly against bare skin; much better when there is a wickng layer of clothing underneath them.

So, maybe reassess what you are expecting from a jacket.
ilPadrone

Thanks for clearing that up. I really did think that breathable meant that it allowed sweat to evaporate off you and out the jacket without making you uncomfortable (doh). Maybe (unless it is cold) a lightweight top that can be swapped out when it does stop raining (assuming heat does not dry it)?

I was thinking I was just getting dodgy jackets and it took me all this time to have someone point me in the right direction ... thanks :)

Phil

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Are you cycling in Brisbane or northern NSW perhaps? Warm, humid, and wet means the breathable jackets breathe less effectively. They rely on a differential in water-vapour pressure between inside and outside the jacket to drive moisture out.

A water/windproof vest is perhaps another option for you to keep the torso dry and avoid any wind-chill.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

philmart

Postby philmart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Riding right now in South Australia .. generally not much rain, but we had some the other day and I keep a rain jacket in my pack. Put it on and was clammy in seconds (it was a reasonably warm day for rain! But it reminded me of the last time I used it and had much the same result and it was a lot colder.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:30 pm

philmart wrote:Riding right now in South Australia .. generally not much rain, but we had some the other day and I keep a rain jacket in my pack. Put it on and was clammy in seconds (it was a reasonably warm day for rain! But it reminded me of the last time I used it and had much the same result and it was a lot colder.
Unless the temp is less than 10 degrees C, just grin and bear it. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:01 pm

I just took delivery of an Elite 2.1 a few days ago. Ordered direct from the States along with a (hopefully) nice warm pair of winter gloves.
Must say I'm impressed with the look and feel of the jacket, and the overall quality.
Combined with a few purchases from Ground Effect this winter might not be as cold as the last one.
Champing at the bit for my next tour mid-March. For the first time ever I hope it rains. :D

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:44 pm

I do have to say its nice riding in the rain if it's warm... ;)

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Tim wrote:I just took delivery of an Elite 2.1 a few days ago. Ordered direct from the States along with a (hopefully) nice warm pair of winter gloves.
Must say I'm impressed with the look and feel of the jacket, and the overall quality.
Combined with a few purchases from Ground Effect this winter might not be as cold as the last one.
Champing at the bit for my next tour mid-March. For the first time ever I hope it rains. :D
Where did you order the showerpass from?
What size did you get?
Thanks

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 pm

I bought a Medium sized Red Elite 2.1 jacket directly from the ShowersPass website.
Good communication and fairly quick delivery, about 10 days.
It fits well with room to move and extra layers underneath, if need be.
I find it difficult sizing clothes as I am on the larger end of a small size, but the smaller side of a medium. I sit right between small and medium.
The jacket fits without being baggy.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Just keep in mind that in order to ventilate properly the jacket needs to fit loosely even over your under layers.

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:31 am

I found a Showerspass mountain elite for sale in Melbourne,
I'm just wondering is it similar to the current elite 2.1 and has anyone used one before?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:16 pm

jemo27 wrote:I found a Showerspass mountain elite for sale in Melbourne,
I'm just wondering is it similar to the current elite 2.1 and has anyone used one before?
I am on my second Showers Pass Elite 2.0 and pretty happy with it, as is I am sure of the "owner" of my first one :? Can't help with the comparison but as I have tried out a Showers Pass Elite 2.1.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:55 pm

jemo27 wrote:I found a Showerspass mountain elite for sale in Melbourne,
Similar thing but different.

It's no longer on the range listed on their website, so an older model. Probably all the same eVent fabric though; with the Elite 2.1 it has only one or two very minor changes from the 2.0, mainly a different orientation to the pit-zips I think.
Mandatory helmet law?

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 am

I emailed Showers pass, the Mountain elite is an earlier version of the Showers pass refuge, which is more expensive than the elite 2.1 but appears to be designed for people planning on doing outdoor activities like bushwalking as well as cycling. Which sounds like what I need, so if for example If I was cycling in the blue mountains I would have a jacket I could use to go walking as well.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Well Shower Pass must make decent rain coats as the winner of this years Milan San Remo was using one despite his clothing sponsor...

PapaJohn

Postby PapaJohn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:19 pm

My rain jacket stays rolled up in a pack until I stop, even when it's raining, especially when it's raining.

I sweat too much for overgarments on the go. So I ride in woollen tops - I have two - a 200gm t-shirt and a 300g long sleeved top. I've never been cold in the heavy one. I just get wet, and stay warm while riding in rain. Staving off hypothermia is about what is done when you stop, and knowing how much generated heat one has left and how you might tease it out a bit. One method - take the top off wring it out, put it back on. surprisingly effective.

All day wet is ok BUT it's what you do when you stop that is important. Pitch camp (or get into accommodation) Then change. All nice and dry and if you time it well, you will not get cold - Yeah, I've toured Tassie in the Spring. (Tassie Trail) That's a fortnight out of doors, with rain.

The hard part is getting into the wet riding gear (the last thing to do before departing) in the morning and warming back up to "operating temperature". It helps if you are faced with a climb early in the piece, no-good if it's a free descent. Any sort of shell would be useful in that case, just for the run down if it is long, until there is the opportunity to generate some heat.

I used to try to use rain jackets, but value them more to keep me dry once I've stopped than they are useful at keeping me dry all the time. If I wear them in the wet during the day, I end up damp and cold when I stop, then I MIGHT slowly dry out and warm up, depending on the performance of the garment, but I'd rather just change and avoid the risk of hypothermia entirely.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Wingnut wrote:Well Shower Pass must make decent rain coats as the winner of this years Milan San Remo was using one despite his clothing sponsor..[/url]
It is the sponsor :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:02 pm

PapaJohn wrote:I used to try to use rain jackets, but value them more to keep me dry once I've stopped than they are useful at keeping me dry all the time. If I wear them in the wet during the day, I end up damp and cold when I stop, then I MIGHT slowly dry out and warm up, depending on the performance of the garment, but I'd rather just change and avoid the risk of hypothermia entirely.
The purpose of waterproof, breatheable jackets - they keep you reasonably dry while working, when teamed with a good wicking layer underneath. Most critically they keep the cold winds off, and they will have good venting if well designed. After riding all day you WILL be a touch sweaty (you would be if wearing regular clothes in the dry after all), but when you are standing about you will dry off from body heat over a short period of time, while the jacket continues to keep the rain and wind off you. This in marked contrast with the frigid sweat bag effect of a nylon/polyester proofed jacket that will just keep you wet and wetter, and push you into hypothermia when you stop working.

All becomes critical in situations where you a) have to stop in the rain for some reason; b) are unable to conveniently or practically get changed into dry clothing. Eg. roadside mechanical or other stops where you have not got shelter and are plannng to continue riding.

Summer 2008-9 we rode the west coast of Tasmania. I have never worn the Showerspass jacket so much, mostly in situations where there was no rain. Was great for keeping the frigid wind off, and I rarely had problems with overheating, despite the often extreme hill climbing we did.
Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:45 am

Aushiker wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Well Shower Pass must make decent rain coats as the winner of this years Milan San Remo was using one despite his clothing sponsor..[/url]
It is the sponsor :)

Andrew
Yeah I discovered that later...still odd to see them as a sponsor for a Pro road team...

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:25 pm

A couple of weeks ago on tour I spent an entire day dressed in my new Showers Pass Elite 2.1 jacket and a long sleeved synthetic jersey (and a pair of shorts :D ).
The weather was typical South Gippsland constant drizzle and light to moderate rain for the duration of the day.
Temperature started off cool and climbed to the mid 20's.
Fairly big day on the bike, nearly six hours of actual cycling.
Whilst I sweated heavily on the hills I was very surprised at how quickly the shirt under the jacket dried. I hate the clammy damp feel of clothing under a jacket but with prudent use of the pit and main zippers I dried out quickly and stayed comfortable all day.
The new jackets have a "flow through" ventilation system with zips on the front, widely adjustable and opening sleeve cuffs and an open flap across the width of but below the shoulders.
The jacket works better than any other Goretex or cheaper breathable materials I've used in the past.
Very impressive and effective breathability and comfort.

PapaJohn

Postby PapaJohn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks Il Padrone, Tim and others. I might have a rethink about outerwear.

I've tried a lot of things including "breathable" inc. Goretex. Plain Jane Japara, even full length Drizabone, complete with Hat - Which I always regarded the ultimate in a deluge/unplanned stop, but a bit impractical on tour because of the bulk.

This Showers Pass sounds pretty good. I might give it a go. There are some strong recommendations here. I can see a bit of a rethink and some research to be done.

I''ve always ridden a little hot (sweat easily). My best experience has always been to live with the wet and in knowing just how much time I've got in cooling down before hypothermia becomes a concern (as opposed to discomfort). This can be a little tricky - there are minutes in it at times.

I'll view an upgrade to modern hi-Tech, as consolation for a few years. er... I must be getting old. I might give it a go next trip.

RonK

your rain jacket when touring?

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:53 pm

PapaJohn wrote:This Showers Pass sounds pretty good. I might give it a go. There are some strong recommendations here. I can see a bit of a rethink and some research to be done.

I''ve always ridden a little hot (sweat easily).
Me too - but as breathable as it is, I don't bother to put on my Elite 2.0 unless the temp is sub 10C.

My last tour (NZ in spring) was beset by a series of cold weather systems bringing frigid winds, rain, sleet, snow - with just a few mild days in between. I wore it nearly every day and it kept me dry and comfortable.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:29 pm

il padrone wrote:I used to have a Mont Hammerhead, before I bought the Showerspass Elite 2.0.

Mont Hammerhead - weight 630g
Showerspass Elite 2.0 - weight 400g

I found it quite noticeable when I began wearing it.
Any difference in performance?
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes, the Showerspass is noticably more breathable. I can wear it for a longer period of time even after rain has ceased.
Mandatory helmet law?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 am

Microporous breathable fabricslike and high density weaves are no more breathable than a glad bag once you have filled the pores with moisture - which is what you get when it gets rained upon or you sweat. (For some reason Australians have some belief that that does not apply to goretex.)

Ski gear manufacturers have worked out therefore that you re well served with some form of spray-resistant covering that you can easily zip and unzip in selected places to allow the sweaty insides to be flushed out from time to time. Under arms, across the chest, etc.

Go for something that is light, is open in areas that are not gonna get wet in rain (under-arm) and can be reconfigured while on the road. ie opened up and closed down easily and, maybe even with removable arms.

And if you are not in an area that rains rarely, just do with one of those $5 disposable clear plastic sort of raincoat.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Go for something that is light, is open in areas that are not gonna get wet in rain (under-arm) and can be reconfigured while on the road. ie opened up and closed down easily...
In other words - a Showers Pass Elite. :lol: