newbie restoring a dumpster bike

gregmacc

newbie restoring a dumpster bike

Postby gregmacc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:03 pm

just bought a 70s(?) cheap road bike and planning to strip down and rebuild.
any suggestions for helpful tutorials or online information would be appreciated.

cheers

Torana68

Re: newbie restoring a dumpster bike

Postby Torana68 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:10 pm

what it is would help, what if any gearing? brakes? pickies?
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Park Tools has some info
In Adelaide there is the Community Workshop on Saturday mornings or the Bike Kitchen on Wednesday nights
both have tools that you can use.
BikeSA has some courses
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 pm

And of course Sheldonbrown.com
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Buy lots of WD40.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 pm

Tinker wrote:Buy lots of WD40.
+1 :D wd40 good for cleaning off grease, penetrating and loosening rusted parts. Not good for lubricating though, use Marine grease for reassembly.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:25 pm

a pic at some point when you can or a link to one would help all to see exactly what we are dealing with. You might have a bike with a bunch of seriously desirable parts on a frame that would look good parked under a car. i would sugest do nothing until you can post an image.
steel is the real deal.

T-MaKK

Postby T-MaKK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:25 am

Hi there. I'm the original poster just on a new account now.

Since reading an idiots guide to salvage 80s roadie (which would have been handy a few days ago) I have come to the conclusion that my Recent $45 purchase wasn't the bargain I originally thought it.

Regardless it hasn't put me off having a go at getting it going and making the shiny parts shine again. (maybe a single speed conversion too)

Currently the to do list follows. (in no specific order)
-get the breaks adjusted and moving freely again.
-source 6(ish)spokes and straighten the rear wheel. Or source a new one.
-slightly straighten front wheel. (probably not required)
-replace flywheels(?) on rear Derailleur.
-tighten/replace wheel bearings.
-clean up as much rust and polish what I can.

Tips for any of the above would be great. Cheers.

I understand this is no '80s racer' as drubie seems to talk about in his post. I am more interested in this restoration fit a bit of experience and an almost reasonable bike to casually roll around on at the end

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:48 pm

T-MaKK wrote:Hi there. I'm the original poster just on a new account now.

Since reading an idiots guide to salvage 80s roadie (which would have been handy a few days ago) I have come to the conclusion that my Recent $45 purchase wasn't the bargain I originally thought it.

Regardless it hasn't put me off having a go at getting it going and making the shiny parts shine again. (maybe a single speed conversion too)

Currently the to do list follows. (in no specific order)
-get the breaks adjusted and moving freely again.
-source 6(ish)spokes and straighten the rear wheel. Or source a new one.
-slightly straighten front wheel. (probably not required)
-replace flywheels(?) on rear Derailleur.
-tighten/replace wheel bearings.
-clean up as much rust and polish what I can.

Tips for any of the above would be great. Cheers.

I understand this is no '80s racer' as drubie seems to talk about in his post. I am more interested in this restoration fit a bit of experience and an almost reasonable bike to casually roll around on at the end
seriously- i think you need to post pics unless you can give detailed condition of, and brand of the components and the brand frame ect, its hard for anyone to give advice, some parts might be better off being left untouched whereas others might be better being outright replaced, its no good telling you to replace a bearing if the hub is beyond its use, or to just tidy up the frame with some soap and water if the bottom bracket is about to fall off. the experienced forum members here can can be very quick to pick up on something that isnt right. so again- post some pics, it will certainly raise your post to the more interesting category and generate conversation which you will ultimately benefit from, also others will post pics and links for you to help you. also if you keep changing your account you wont get enough posts to be able to put your own pics up, i think its 10 or more posts that youve been a part off before you can post images ect. But the moderators (wherever they are) can help.
steel is the real deal.

T-MaKK

Postby T-MaKK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:06 pm

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I would upload some pictures once I was back on a computer.
But it looks like I'll be jumping back on my father's account to do so, given the number of posts required.
Thanks.

koen

Postby koen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Probably best to buy a book or borrow one from a library. Oh, I suppose the modern way is to search youtube for a video of bottom bracket repair, adjusting wheel cones or whatever. If this research or following a book is too difficult I think any advice here is probably wasted.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 pm

mark field wrote: i think its 10 or more posts that youve been a part off before you can post images ect.
L plates for Mark, no minimum posts are required before you can post images.

T-MaKK

Postby T-MaKK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:31 pm

sorry about the delay on the pictures - hope i havent gone overboard.

20140308_161738 by Thormas, on Flickr

20140308_161903 by Thormas, on Flickr

20140308_161945 by Thormas, on Flickr
riveted :(

20140308_162015 by Thormas, on Flickr

20140308_162108 by Thormas, on Flickr

20140308_162247 by Thormas, on Flickr

20140308_162438 by Thormas, on Flickr
Front Rim

20140309_145018 by Thormas, on Flickr Front Hub.
Theres alot of movement in the the bearings. ill try adjusting them but i dont have much confidence.

20140308_162512 by Thormas, on Flickr
Rear wheel isnt 'Femco' branded and seems to have rusted differently...

20140309_145056 by Thormas, on Flickr
Same as the front hub, lots of movement in the bearings.

koen

Postby koen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Looks like a good transport bike. $45 was okay but you wouldn't spend anything on it and expect it back if you sold. You might get even less than $45.
The wheel hubs should be easy enough to tidy up. Either just adjust the cones with a cone spanner or dismantle and regrease. Either way its best to have a guide and the right tools. The rear hub usually requires the freewheel removed with a special tool to get to the cones.
Ask around, someone old may have a bicycle repair book with pictures like Richard's Bicycle book.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
mark field wrote: i think its 10 or more posts that youve been a part off before you can post images ect.
L plates for Mark, no minimum posts are required before you can post images.

Thats how it was when i joined in 2010, so i guess since then it has changed-in my first ever post i wrote : " Hi everyone, having viewed all the retro bikes that have been lovingly restored and posted for all to see, id like to share my enthusiasm for my recent resto of my old Shogun Katana, but being a newbie i am unable to post pics yet" that was on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:58 pm page 23 of the You beauty - let everyone see what you've got! post.
anyhow thanks for the excellent picture with the woman ticking the box. and for correcting me. JOB WELL DONE. :cry:
steel is the real deal.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 am

Mark,
I have written many times that there is no minimum post count for including images on this forum.
But the Urban Myth continues to be promoted. [No decent graphics for Urban Myth]
All it does is frustrate new members as well as existing members can't see what the new member wants/needs to show us.

There is a 10 post rule for selling in the The Market Place
There doesn't appear to be a minimum post for PMs as T-MaKK was able to respond yesterday to a PM I sent. The PM was a link to an illustrated bike maintenance book.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:14 am

koen wrote:Looks like a good transport bike. $45 was okay but you wouldn't spend anything on it and expect it back if you sold. You might get even less than $45.
The wheel hubs should be easy enough to tidy up. Either just adjust the cones with a cone spanner or dismantle and regrease. Either way its best to have a guide and the right tools. The rear hub usually requires the freewheel removed with a special tool to get to the cones.
Ask around, someone old may have a bicycle repair book with pictures like Richard's Bicycle book.
Plus one. Although it looks like a cheap bike (got all the cues, stem shifts, no derailleur hangar, riveted chainrings) there is no reason not to fix and ride. It looks in quite good condition so dissasemble, clean, grease, reassemble might be enough to get everything serviceable with the exception of tyres and brake pads.

It's always a good sign to see plenty of grease and gunk around the moving parts as it's great at keeping the rust away.

Any money spent will not generate much(if any) return, but a couple of new tyres and brake pads should give you a rideable bike for quite a few year. After a recent test ride though, I don't think I'd be caught using steel rims with rim brakes as the brakes tend to be a suggestion rather than a good way of stopping, especially in the wet.

koen

Postby koen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Newbies are likely to read the Links in post thread which says

Note: new members to the forum are not able to include links or images in their first few posts - this has been forced upon us by the spammers (BOO HISS). If new users wish to include a photo, please PM AUbicycles, our Admin and he'll be able to help you out.

Richard

So not entirely a myth??

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:01 pm

koen wrote:So not entirely a myth??
it is for me if it is a nearly seven year old post that is demonstratively not applied for this forum.

koen

Postby koen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Its maybe in the line of religious myth then as it has canonical approval :)
So maybe a mod should remove the locked thread? Or is it just there to slow new posters along with spammers?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:42 pm

koen wrote:Its maybe in the line of religious myth then as it has canonical approval :)
So maybe a mod should remove the locked thread? Or is it just there to slow new posters along with spammers?
Agreed, it just causes confusion the way it is

For braking on the steel rims, try something like this pad which has a leather strip inset into the compound. DO NOT USE on alloy rims.
As you are in Adelaide, Kevin at Clarks Cycles, Magill Rd, Kensington Park has similar, and they are very cheap. Kevin runs an old school bike shop.

I use the Fibrax ones on my Dunlop stainless steel rims. They work and don't squeal.

mark field

Postby mark field » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:48 am

As a first project it looks like a fairly easy job, a lot of soapy steel wool will work wonders on most of the surface rust which looks very minor, most of the tips you will need will be in THE SHED forum topic. pulling the bike apart is a good way to start. sometimes getting time to work on a project can be difficult, but if its small pieces you can do them while watching tv, or like me i sometimes sneak the odd part into the shower and give it a polish. The part that is. nothing beats continuous running water when cleaning bike bits. ive had most of my 82 Ducati go throught the shower with me, anyway im going off topic. If you try to clean/polish/restore parts that are still on the bike you run the risk of damaging paintwork or at the very least not doing a thorough job and it will show. If nothing else, change any consumables (tyres,tubes,cables,pads,) and perhaps the chain. i like the colour, blue and chrome seems to always work well i think. good luck and enjoy your project.
steel is the real deal.

T-MaKK

Postby T-MaKK » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:39 pm

i have the frame almost fully stripped now, minus the forks and bottom bracket. im not ready to find out whats inside those yet, already have plenty to do.
replaced the bearings in the front as well as rubbed down the rim and hub. fortunately the hub was covered in grease and was shmick underneath. the rim cleaned up pretty well with an alfoil rub and a bit of car polish but im not 100% happy with it yet, a few specs of rust on there still that i want to get rid of. the spokes seem to be no good though, cant seem to get them looking much better.

i am now in the process of sourcing the bits to convert to a fixie.
could anyone recommend an entry rear wheel and maybe some info about sprocket/chain ring ("standard' size?/common?)
i also suspect i may need shorter crank arms but not sure what length. and im not sure if this means i will need a new bottom bracket too?

anyway, ill have a look around and see what i can find but any info would be great.

T-MaKK

Postby T-MaKK » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:21 pm

is this a viable solution??
http://www.eighthinch.com/56035-EighthI ... n-Kit.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:26 pm

PMed