Aldi Specials

Xplora

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:46 am

Torpedo7.com.au has some good fluoro jerseys that have served me well. Zip is a bit more vulnerable than my good jerseys, but is no worse than my 250 dollar skinsuit which has issues because its rather tight lol so 15 dollar jersey vs 250 dollar skinsuit. Seems acceptable to me, isn't dripping with logos either. I am not a brand whore but having a cell/dhb/torpedo7 logo on your chest just seems wrong - like having Kmart on your shirt. "Gee nice shirt.... Tightarse" :lol:

spirro

Postby spirro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:03 am

TonyMax wrote:
spirro wrote:Is there anywhere selling cheap Jerseys at the moment? The Aldi one I have has been really good, looking to get a couple more.
eBay? How cheap do you want them?
Round the $20 mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:40 am

Many many eBay options:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Men-Sports-B ... d4c&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNISEX-CYCLI ... 1f8&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mens-Biking- ... 1e2&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-2013-Bik ... 390&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2013-Bike-Cy ... 903&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Xplora wrote:I've picked up a couple roof hangers by cable and a couple roof rack mounts. Will let you know. Hoping to take the bikes north 200kms ;)
I just realised I hadn't put the boot in yet. LOL

So I drove the roof racks to Nelson Bay from Sydney, with pure brownpants the whole way.
Pros.
Cheap. Even used Thule and Rhino Racks are twice the price.
Not too noisy under 90kmh. You get noise, but it's not heinous until you hit 100.
Easy to install. You should be able to install these in around 10 minutes with practice.
Bikes can be stored fairly easily and safely. You strap down the wheels, and a central arm grips the down tube. It's a solid grip, and my Madone 5 was solid on the way home after I tightened a bit extra than the way up.
Very flexible, unless you are running tri bikes like a Shiv you should be OK for down tube grip. I'm a little worried about putting the carbon fairing style Alu/Carbon wheels into these mounts, but since the real grip is via the downtube, I'm confident it should be fine. Also, you can turn these things around for a Left/Right facing lock, which is good. Thule doesn't have this?! :shock:
Locking system is pretty decent. BUT...

Cons.
Cheap. Screams tightass, and I suspect it is noisier than the competition by a LOT.
Noisy. God it howls like a banshee without the bikes. I'm OK to struggle with noise with bikes on board but I think other solutions might be quieter.
Lateral movement at 110 is crazy in a Corolla, and you can feel bad aero issues with drafting trucks. It's very very very unnerving.
Rust after one week in the rain? There is only one ferrous piece of metal?! These are going back for this reason alone!
YOU CANNOT LOCK THE BIKE RACK TO YOUR CAR. They have a keylock, but you have thumbscrews to secure the bike rack to the roof rack? This is also insane because your rack works itself loose over the trip.
Screws don't like aero roof racks. My alu vortex roof racks have been chewed by the screws. :roll:
Wheel wells are designed for 2 inch MTB tyres, not 23mm roadbike tyres. Doesn't suit me at all.

Without a genuine lock to the car, insecure and loosening attachment to the car, and a clear design brief for BSOs, I couldn't recommend these for a road bike rider. My bike is insured for 6K, second bike is 1500. It's not WORTH risking your bikes with this, when its only 150 bucks for some alternatives.

spirro

Postby spirro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:37 pm

Xplora wrote:Torpedo7.com.au has some good fluoro jerseys that have served me well. Zip is a bit more vulnerable than my good jerseys, but is no worse than my 250 dollar skinsuit which has issues because its rather tight lol so 15 dollar jersey vs 250 dollar skinsuit. Seems acceptable to me, isn't dripping with logos either. I am not a brand whore but having a cell/dhb/torpedo7 logo on your chest just seems wrong - like having Kmart on your shirt. "Gee nice shirt.... Tightarse" :lol:
Can you point me in the direction of the T7 ones you refer too? Just can't find them.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:49 pm

spirro wrote:
Xplora wrote:Torpedo7.com.au has some good fluoro jerseys that have served me well. Zip is a bit more vulnerable than my good jerseys, but is no worse than my 250 dollar skinsuit which has issues because its rather tight lol so 15 dollar jersey vs 250 dollar skinsuit. Seems acceptable to me, isn't dripping with logos either. I am not a brand whore but having a cell/dhb/torpedo7 logo on your chest just seems wrong - like having Kmart on your shirt. "Gee nice shirt.... Tightarse" :lol:
Can you point me in the direction of the T7 ones you refer too? Just can't find them.
The secret to buying from T7 is timing - when I was looking in January the Men's Core Hi Vis Short Sleeve Jersey varied from $60 during the week down to $25 on weekends
Anything you can do, I can do slower

spirro

Postby spirro » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Aldi sale starts again Wednesday 1st October

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... ober-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Blinding

Postby Blinding » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Heading straight to Aldi after work on Wednesday for some jerseys and nicks and maybe others :)
2017 Giant Contend SL1 Disc

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:59 pm

The "Crane premium mountain bike" frame looks identical to a 5-10yr old Big W Repco model, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Suffice to say that's not a good thing.

If they had a sleeveless version of the "lightweight jacket" i'd be very keen. Might see if i can get round there to have a look at the knicks, i can always do with more knicks.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

spirro

Aldi Specials

Postby spirro » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Blinding wrote:Heading straight to Aldi after work on Wednesday for some jerseys and nicks and maybe others :)
My experience from last year is that by the end of the day most things are gone. You need to get there first thing in the morning when the doors open.

Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:49 am

Be careful in buying Aldi knicks as in previous sales the material in these have turned out to be extremely stretchable and while stretched out to be a bit more see through than may be desirable. :oops: :lol:

Blinding

Postby Blinding » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:42 am

spirro wrote:
Blinding wrote:Heading straight to Aldi after work on Wednesday for some jerseys and nicks and maybe others :)
My experience from last year is that by the end of the day most things are gone. You need to get there first thing in the morning when the doors open.

Dammit! *fingers crossed* if i dont get any it's not the end of the world
2017 Giant Contend SL1 Disc

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:20 pm

Their shirts are good, I've had mine for nearly 4yrs. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Just as a side note I notice BigW has "Guy Leech" cycling jerseys, I think they are $39.99.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:45 pm

I might try the shoes, if they don't sell out in my 'common' size. Be good to have some wet weather spares.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:34 am

Trail light looks interesting for forty bucks... still hapoy with my workstand a year on as well :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:35 am

Trail light looks interesting for 40 bucks... I'm still happy with my workstand a year on too.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:38 am

Is there an Aldi in the Sydney CBD that will be selling the cycling stuff on Wednesday?

QuangVuong

Aldi Specials

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:12 am

Has the Broadway store opened up? I believe that's one of the closer Aldi stores to the CBD. All the locations are on their site.

Jerseys this year look much better than last, but did the price go up? I don't think I'll get anything this year. I've built so many bikes now with no work stand and mainly with the cheapo tools(same as what Aldi is selling, just different brand), and I don't think that'll change.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:35 am

I got one of the maintenance stands last year. Great value for money.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:53 am

Spaniel wrote:I got one of the maintenance stands last year. Great value for money.
My one broke at the bike clamp. Too lazy to take off the rack and panniers (empty), and I think the extra off centre weight just twisted the clamp and deformed the plastic bits.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:53 am

Spaniel wrote:I got one of the maintenance stands last year. Great value for money.
My one broke at the bike clamp. Too lazy to take off the rack and panniers (empty), and I think the extra off centre weight just twisted the clamp and deformed the plastic bits.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Yes, but if memory serves they have actually dropped about $10 in price over last time! Bugger.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Yes, but if memory serves they have actually dropped about $10 in price over last time! Bugger.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:07 pm

ftssjk wrote:i bought their pump last time.

it broke last week when i tried pumping it up!
gonna try take it back... major failure.
i only tried pumping it up to 100psi about 2 times prior to that.
looking at the cataloge it seems the pump they're selling is of a different design so i might buy it in the meantime and wait for a sale from wiggle to buy a proper leyzne one.
Odd, I bought the track pump a couple of years ago and it has given sterling service in the shed. To the extent when they came out again last time I bought a spare for use in the camper (for $15 how can you lose?)
Maybe different shops get stock from different suppliers which might account for the quality difference?
Richard