Moron Motorists #3

FuzzyDropbear

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:00 pm

warthog1 wrote: You were very restrained :o 8)
I am afraid I felt like stepping into the frame whilst watching that video and punching that creature repeatedly :x :oops:
I'm sure I wouldn't have, but he was a special breed of annoying.
I noticed your camera shot wobble at one stage did he push you?
Yes, the urge to smack him one was very strong, however, that would land me with assault charges and ruined my day, rather than just laughing at this moron and continuing on.

"People" (and I use that term loosely) like this can't be reasoned with, he clearly nearly hit a guy exiting his vehicle and yet cannot see why you us selfish cyclists would avoid the bicycle lane? If he doesn't get that then there's no point even giving him the time of day. He didn't make contact, I did unclip in case I needed to get off the bike in a hurry, possibly that's what happened, or if it was where he nearly doored that guy, I was about to move to help him if he fell.
dmwill wrote:
warthog1 wrote: You were very restrained :o 8)
Muppets like that fruit loop want a reaction. Keeping your cool just winds them up more :)
I think this is why he wound back up after the lady in the white car and I had a chat and a laugh about him, noone paying him attention, people getting annoyed at him. His plan has headed south a long time ago and he's now in a state of who knows what? As soon as he exited the vehicle, I immediately thought he was under the influence of some kind of drug, but who knows.

I do deal with high stress environments during my work, so I have had a bit of training in staying cool when there's a bit of pressure around. Plus, not worth my energy to try to explain something to someone who can't even grasp where the footpath is (here's a tip, it's not in the middle of a lane... :roll: ) :lol:
il padrone wrote: That guy may just have been a brother of the guy that arced up towards me the other afternoon - just because I gave him an unhappy look at the lights and commented about a very close overtake at speed.... which it most certainly was, despite his claim of allowing plenty of room. He actually ended up claiming he cycles a fair bit, and we did resolve the issue, but some people just get SO wound up, true anger-management problems. When it happened to me I felt unsafe to ride on, and wary of a pointless argument escalating if I stayed..... so I just rang 000 for the cops (road-rage after all). This took the dispute out of our arena and eventually cooled things down.
That's definitely not a bad way of diffusing a situation like that. It's amazing how people will arc up at such trivial little things, I have no idea why people are so defensive these days, we all make mistakes, just man up to them! What happens if these people run out of milk in the morning?? :shock:

Cheers and happy cycling!

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Tradies really need to know the width of their trailers!
Merging to the left hand side after riding along the Esplanade at Saftey Beach towards Dromana. I was unable to merge as a car was on my left. Had a large ute type thing pass close on my right followed by the brushing of an extra wide trailer. Holy Moley! moment.
Luckily, the car on my right had slowed down enough for me to go left towards the 'bike lane'
Said ute and trailer pull into servo a few meters up the road, "bugger it," I thought. I'm having a word.
Told the guy he came within a bees dick of taking me out. Total look of unconcern from him. Asked him to look at how much wider his trailer is. "I wasnt looking, when I passed you", Well d'uh, ya reckon?
Seriously, what can you do.
No cameras today. That one would have been a doozy!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

outnabike wrote:What gets me is, I have never seen anyone get any where near twenty years. and that's even for manslaughter. Unfortunately some get off in 3-4 years by the end of the trial. Still, I know nothing of law.
I can only quote what I wrote recently, except to add that 3-4 years now seems unlikely. :cry:
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:37 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Lucky you were noticed when you yelled! That may have turned ugly had they've had their stereo cranked and not been able to hear you. :shock:

Found this bright spark on the way home last night. Didn't even bother to try and discuss this with him, if someone's that wound up they're not going to understand that they've provided the exact reason not to use this "bicycle lane", which isn't actually a bicycle lane.

What a waste of space. Ranting about how selfish I am because I'm riding on the road, while he's standing in the middle of the other lane, with cars beeping at him to get out of the way and then having to drive around him. :roll: Perfect example of the type of person that shouldn't have a licence.

Narrowly misses dooring a cyclist, then abuses you for not riding in an improperly marked excuse for a bike lane.

Real classy, that.

Agree with the comment around being drug affected. Well done on defusing the situation.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote:Lucky you were noticed when you yelled! That may have turned ugly had they've had their stereo cranked and not been able to hear you. :shock:

Found this bright spark on the way home last night. Didn't even bother to try and discuss this with him, if someone's that wound up they're not going to understand that they've provided the exact reason not to use this "bicycle lane", which isn't actually a bicycle lane.

What a waste of space. Ranting about how selfish I am because I'm riding on the road, while he's standing in the middle of the other lane, with cars beeping at him to get out of the way and then having to drive around him. :roll: Perfect example of the type of person that shouldn't have a licence.

Narrowly misses dooring a cyclist, then abuses you for not riding in an improperly marked excuse for a bike lane.

Real classy, that.

Agree with the comment around being drug affected. Well done on defusing the situation.

What a Bogan :shock: :x and a half, some people are just a waste of space in this world

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Knowing Ballarat as I do I did a bit of a search on Google. We were riding Peel St a bit last Cup Weekend. I can say undoubtedly that bike lane is very poor, but at least they've removed the tree that was right in it :o

http://goo.gl/maps/0hDhu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:18 pm

biker jk wrote:The sentence in this case represents everything that is wrong with the legal system when it comes to dangerous drivers.

"Suspended sentence over pedestrian death for young Adelaide driver who failed to wear his glasses"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-04/y ... ce/5296856
Yep, no punishment at all for murder. So it took nearly 3 years to bring it to a point where he pled guilty. I also notice for some reason out of the hundreds of articles, not 1 actually says what happened. Its not even clear where the pedestrians was or what happened. Terrible reporting.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:28 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Tradies really need to know the width of their trailers!
Merging to the left hand side after riding along the Esplanade at Saftey Beach towards Dromana. I was unable to merge as a car was on my left. Had a large ute type thing pass close on my right followed by the brushing of an extra wide trailer. Holy Moley! moment.
Luckily, the car on my right had slowed down enough for me to go left towards the 'bike lane'
Said ute and trailer pull into servo a few meters up the road, "bugger it," I thought. I'm having a word.
Told the guy he came within a bees dick of taking me out. Total look of unconcern from him. Asked him to look at how much wider his trailer is. "I wasnt looking, when I passed you", Well d'uh, ya reckon?
Dunno about others, but when i hear a trailer rattling or squealing behind me I get just a little nervous.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Tomca74 wrote:
BianchiCam wrote:Tradies really need to know the width of their trailers!
Dunno about others, but when i hear a trailer rattling or squealing behind me I get just a little nervous.
+1 got to love the dragging electrical leads and ropes that they cant tie up correctly, cant imagine the destruction they commit on a construction site

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Remember Ms Talia Jade van Rysewyk featured in this thread about a week ago for hit and running Brendan Braid? You know - the one who posted a fake FB post about a P plater who threw a bottle and smashed her windscreen...?

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... ty/?cs=300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I guess we'll find out whether next month whether he previous adjournment assisted her in clearing up her previous medical issue *cough* or is she just looking at pleading on some disassociative state ala Eugene McGee...?

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:14 pm

Big_Red wrote:New mobius cam, 2nd commute for 2014 and we have a SMIDY winner...

Hope that incident did not cause you any memory flashbacks to Mt Gravatt last year :(
Last edited by elantra on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 pm

myforwik wrote:
biker jk wrote:The sentence in this case represents everything that is wrong with the legal system when it comes to dangerous drivers.

"Suspended sentence over pedestrian death for young Adelaide driver who failed to wear his glasses"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-04/y ... ce/5296856
Yep, no punishment at all for murder.
Let's try not to go down the road of the Feral Hun style of comment on BNA :roll:

It most certainly was not a case of murder. The conviction is "causing death by dangerous driving", and in contrast to many other criminal drivers, this man evidently did not do a runner. On reading the details of the man's circumstances (and yes, the defence will always try to polish these things up) I do tend to feel that sending a young man with depression, a head injury, and who is very remorseful, to prison may be a retrograde step. He will be mince-meat in that system and will come out a degraded, bitter and twisted human being. There are situations where prison is the worse choice. I note also that he has been given a 10 year ban from driving, not an insignificant penalty, and if he steps out of line in any way he has a two year nine month jail term to look forward to. I think he has a penalty applied.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:28 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
Tomca74 wrote:Dunno about others, but when i hear a trailer rattling or squealing behind me I get just a little nervous.
+1 got to love the dragging electrical leads and ropes that they cant tie up correctly, cant imagine the destruction they commit on a construction site
I was standing on the pedals honking up a hill the other day, then sat down just as a tradie ute went by with overhanging weld-mesh slung across the top of the roof bars - it was kinda just about head height for standing cyclist and sticking out a good 50cms from the ute :( Gotta wonder how I would have faired if I had remained standing.
Mandatory helmet law?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 am

i had a corker last night. riding home in the CBD on bourke st where it goes from 2 lanes across an intersection into 1 with a bike lane (which is useless - for the usual reason). a motorist had parked themselves in the LH lane, waiting for the lights to change, right in the bike box. now usually the LH lane there is reserved for LH turners - as it disappears across the intersection. another cyclist had queued to the motorists' right - kind of between the LH and RH lanes, and i pulled up square in the RH lane. (noting that the bike box was occupied by the car)

we both took off, and the motorist proceeded to head straight - and instantly had to wait for me as her lane disappeared. she pushed forward on my left, before slowing and going around on my right - no big deal but enough to make a point. then she screamed up behind the other rider - who was in the 'car' lane (it's a short downhill towards another set of red lights), swerved around him and leaned on the horn. before promptly joining the back of the queue of traffic 5 seconds later. mr cyclist taps her window for a chat, at which point she launches into a tirade about how he was in the 'car' lane etc. etc. so i pulled up too and after she had finished reading out her list of 'offences'* that my friend (and i?) had committed, i added stopping in the bike box for her :) then she drove off, in a tizzy.

* none of which were real offences

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:04 am

Forgot to turn on the GoPro when I left this morning. Only took 1.5km before I got my first goose.

The good Mr Hebden was doing his best to tail gate me through a roundabout. There's about 50m between the roundabout and a Zebra crossing outside of Gymea Bay Public School. He then proceeds to overtake over double white lines once exiting the roundabout. To make matters worse I shook my head as he went past, nothing more, nothing less. I didn't say a word to him about his actions. That's when I realised the camera was off so I turned it on to record the rest of his antics.

He's asking me what my problem is. I don't think he could see the irony of his question. Also note his rear driver's side wheel is definitely on or over the double white lines as he passes me close a second time, which is also a T-intersection...
I doubt he realises I know exactly where he lives as I drive / ride past his house every single day.

2010 BMC SLC01

Ropecharmer

Postby Ropecharmer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:47 am

Wow! No shortage of fodder for this thread.

I sacrificed a GP4000s to the Bitumen Gods yesterday in a biiiiiiig lockup when an airhead overtook me then jumped on the brakes to turn left. Hate that.

{|8-(
The bicycle is the solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 am

BianchiCam wrote:Tradies really need to care about the width of their trailers!

There, fixed that for you.
SMIDGAF was pretty much the reply you got when you challenged him.
Last edited by Ross on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:03 pm

http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-cent ... ruary.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

505 ACT drivers caught speeding in February

Over 30 per cent of those motorists caught were in school zones with a 40km/h limit.

If only cars were registered and motorists licenced then this wouldn't happen...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:49 pm

cp123 wrote:Remember Ms Talia Jade van Rysewyk featured in this thread about a week ago for hit and running Brendan Braid? You know - the one who posted a fake FB post about a P plater who threw a bottle and smashed her windscreen...?

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... ty/?cs=300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:evil: :evil: :evil:
My guess, after looking at her facebook page, is that Ms Talia van Risible will plead on the basis of intellectual impairment. If I was her lawyer that is what I would be recommending as the most appropriate course.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:57 pm

^Hopefully leading to a permanent licence cancellation on the grounds of the above "condition".
Justice AND road safety goals achieved.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:05 pm

hannos - shove a note in his letterbox to view the link- http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/posti ... 12&t=58039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ie this thread. :twisted: :twisted: and maybe then he'll get it..

but probably he won't!

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 pm

This is one of three nasty pinch points on my commute. I frequently get people squeezing past in the right turn lane and, on one occasion, driving up onto the median strip while shouting at me through closed windows (I couldn't hear a word). This example isn't as close as it looks but you can see how pointless the overtake was:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:05 am

Biffidus wrote:This is one of three nasty pinch points on my commute. I frequently get people squeezing past in the right turn lane and, on one occasion, driving up onto the median strip while shouting at me through closed windows (I couldn't hear a word). This example isn't as close as it looks but you can see how pointless the overtake was:
I that is supposed to be a right turn lane I didn't see any markings, is it worth trying to get some additional 'right lane must turn right' or road markings out of the council?

I think if that was a regular problem for me I'd be trying my best to avoid, it's a horrible design and really opens up the MGIF
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:39 am

Thats a nasty bit of road. I probably would have waited behind the truck at the intersection though, perhaps if I was not wanting to queue up on the road I would have sat beside him and let him go first? You have to be there thought to know what's happening, not a criticism, just an observation.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:00 am

how's about this one:

http://road.cc/content/news/113083-vide ... -near-miss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;