Apologies to the cyclist I nearly hit in Joondalup, WA

whitetoyotacamry

Apologies to the cyclist I nearly hit in Joondalup, WA

Postby whitetoyotacamry » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm really sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, this is my first post so if it is in the wrong place could a moderator please move it.

I was driving Northbound on Lakeside Dr on Friday 7th March and was turning left onto Deakin Gate when I cut off a cyclist.

If by any chance the cyclist in question browses this forum, I want to apologize immensely for nearly cutting you off, I was totally in the wrong. It was a really scary situation for both of us and my partner who was also in the car. I hope it doesn't detract you from cycling.

I've only had my Ps for 4 months so I haven't ever had to give way to a cyclist, I approached the situation incorrectly and nearly seriously injured someone because of it. I'll try my best to show cyclists more respect on the road in the future and to slow down and obey the road rules.

Thanks for letting me share,

White Toyota Camry Driver

macca33

Re: Apologies to the cyclist I nearly hit in Joondalup, WA

Postby macca33 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Good on you for being respectful enough to come in here and apologise - hopefully the involved person is made aware of this.

You're still gaining experience on the roads, so take it as a lesson learned and continue to be safe.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:28 pm

macca33 wrote:Good on you for being respectful enough to come in here and apologise - hopefully the involved person is made aware of this.

You're still gaining experience on the roads, so take it as a lesson learned and continue to be safe.

cheers
+1, if more P platers (I am still one myself) shared your attitude the roads would be a lot safer. Something that my dad taught me when learning to drive and which has been really reinforced to me through cycling is to ALWAYS be aware of what's around you, once you're in the car/on the bike you need to be all eyes all the time.

My first car was a white camry too, I loved that thing :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:25 pm

good stuff coming forward and being straight and honest. we all make mistakes - it's the refusal to recognise them as mistakes that worries me when on my bike..

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Were you not able to apologise directly to the rider at the time ?? Would have been a better way to resolve this.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:40 pm

P Plate Camry Driver?? I thought most Camry drivers were getting closer to that age for annual eye tests to keep their licences.

*running & ducking for cover*

Stranger things have happened though, I had a tatty, mid 1990s Commodore driver (fag in hand out the window) already on a small urban roundabout today, stop and yield to me waiting for him. My Audax crew were about 50-100 metres out ahead and his female passenger yelled out her window "Go on! Catch yer mates!"

Amazing. If were one of these superstitious old codgers I would've gone out and bought a lottery ticket straight after.

Ah... stereotypes.... were would my base level sense of humour be without them?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:56 pm

True, but you absolutely cannot beat a camry for reliability. I really wanted something cool, like a Fiat X1/9 or a Hillman Hunter (ok well I think Hillmans are cool :lol: ) but had to face reality and get something that would actually get me to work.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:54 am

Good onya for realising your mistake WTCD. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Safe Cycling Australia facebook page has copied this post. Lots of nice comments about the apology on there.

rmgrimes79

Postby rmgrimes79 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:33 pm

White camry driver .... I happen to be the rider in question.

Yes it was an error and you were in the wrong but i was not hit and for that i am thankful. I was very angry at the time but you did stop your turn in and broke (braked?) when you heard me yell.

Thank you for coming online into a biking forum and admitting you nearly hit one of us. That take guts.

thanks for the respect and honesty for trying to correct your error ... As you said you have just started your driving career and if it teaches us all to just watch out for cyclists and turning cars ... well ill take one for the team.

from the commuter that was thankfully not hit
Matt WIlliams
"I know its a buget 'cause its got lots of numbers in it!" GWBush

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Safe Cycling Australia facebook page has copied this post. Lots of nice comments about the apology on there.
and Dave from Safe Cycling Australia has asked me to pass on their thanks and appreciation for you coming forward and saying thanks.

Well done.

Andrew

exadios

Postby exadios » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:36 pm

I view this as a systematic problem. The issue is that the driver has not been trained to deal with cyclists. Why not!?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:04 pm

exadios wrote:I view this as a systematic problem. The issue is that the driver has not been trained to deal with cyclists. Why not!?
Because to provide any form of driver training greater than one or two questions in the learners test may make us be seen as authority approved road users. A politically "brave" move considering the media generated backlash that would certainly follow.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Nice work kid. Good on you for coming forward.

aadhay

Postby aadhay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 pm

yep, much respect to you.

I'm sure if nothing else it will improve your driving.

whitetoyotacamry

Postby whitetoyotacamry » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 pm

rmgrimes79 wrote:White camry driver .... I happen to be the rider in question.

Yes it was an error and you were in the wrong but i was not hit and for that i am thankful. I was very angry at the time but you did stop your turn in and broke (braked?) when you heard me yell.

Thank you for coming online into a biking forum and admitting you nearly hit one of us. That take guts.

thanks for the respect and honesty for trying to correct your error ... As you said you have just started your driving career and if it teaches us all to just watch out for cyclists and turning cars ... well ill take one for the team.

from the commuter that was thankfully not hit
Matt WIlliams
Thanks for commenting Matt, my partner and I are extremely sorry about the whole incident.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 am

Good on you for coming forward and apologising. It would have been easy to be anonymous and do nothing.

You've admitted your mistake - next time you'll be more careful. I don't suppose we can tempt you onto a bicycle could we? :wink:

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:45 am

Well done kid, good work for seeing that you were in the wrong, very brave of you.