The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Le Mong

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Le Mong » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:00 pm

I stopped for almost 3 hours or some such time to go for lunch etc. And I split it primarily on strava so I have to do do the 160km in one hit. I give precicely 3/10ths of 0 fraks as to the "secrets" in my files.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:23 am

Xplora wrote:I assume you stopped for ages and didn't want too much garbage in the file? I intentionally leave all the garbage in; once you get a power meter on Strava you're revealing a LOT of your secrets (tons of them if you are a Premium member). I just clean up my GC files ;) GC doesn't care if you split the file 10 times, but Strava Challenges do :roll:
What secrets are you worried about sharing? Are you racing the NRS or something?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:27 pm

If you aren't interested in checking out other guys' power data, you would be part of the majority, but I certainly will stickybeak at other guys' data and check out their peak power over a long ride etc. I WOULD use that information in a race as well if the opportunity came up. If the local TT champ takes off for a break towards the end of the race, you chase them. There is a LOT of sandbagging and doggo in club racing, so a little extra info is helpful.

It's no different to remembering who snuck off the front last race - Strava just makes it easier to remember ;)

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:02 pm

lucky i block people i don't want seeing my data then isn't it..

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Meh. Your not racing for sheep stations. It's club level stuff what's the point of worrying about who sees it.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Because unfulfilled life/childhood compensation?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm not worried... I am always the KOM holder in the 94and over category and the one below that for that matter :lol: ... As always if I was 15kgs lighter I would be a lot more competitive. On the plus side the power is coming back up :-)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Le Mong wrote:Because unfulfilled life/childhood compensation?
SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :lol:

In all seriousness though, riding is a great hobby that doesn't need racing. :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Le Mong wrote:Today's rides.

http://app.strava.com/activities/118620004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://app.strava.com/activities/118620504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice going! I was aiming to do similar kms myself today, but getting drowsy at the 125km mark when I stopped waiting for the others, I thought, better not. I only needed about 30km extra. So it was 132.6km today at a reasonable average speed. :)

I'll try for the 160+km next weekend.
Xplora wrote:In all seriousness though, riding is a great hobby that doesn't need racing. :wink:
That's true. But racing is a good motivator. When you are in that no-mans land between two grades, it's pushes you work hard. I'm a competitive animal, I don't want to be there just to make up the numbers.

Even if I wasn't into racing, now I'm into that mentality, I enjoy the training and getting the benefits from it.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:44 am

Le Mong wrote:
Fixed. Cut it with Golden cheetah and uploaded the .tcx files

Now I need to go and do 160km again hahahaha
It won't save you much but you should be able to upload to Strava directly from GC.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 am

kb wrote:
Le Mong wrote:
Fixed. Cut it with Golden cheetah and uploaded the .tcx files

Now I need to go and do 160km again hahahaha
It won't save you much but you should be able to upload to Strava directly from GC.
Thanks for the heads up

kb

Postby kb » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:54 am

Managed to get through my first 3 Peaks on Sunday. Quite happy considering my disorganisation (dinner was sliced bread and bananas, sent up tent at dusk the night before). Training was fairly consistent from December on which helped. It felt like I'd taken about 30 minutes of breaks but it turned out to be 3 x that! Had to pull back a bit on the top of Hotham and the back of Falls to ward off cramps. Dehydration? Pushing a touch too much earlier? Good day out though :-D

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 am

Fantastic Brookefield Altitdude Friday Ride :) had a ball :) great doing it on more than 2 hours sleep

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Great job kb!

Ran 70 minutes if tempo today and it nearly killed me. This PM needs some tweaking by Mr Simmons because the HR is telling me I am at VO2max instead of endurance pace lol

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:49 am

Nice solo lunch spin

http://www.strava.com/activities/122348191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

fantastic altitude group ride through brookfield
was fantastic

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:31 am

Training today - tiring! Had a maximal run up the 1:20 in melb (15 sec slower, same power, as 1 month ago - slightly different conditions), then a further 2000m of other climbing. 140ish clicks, 2500m elevation, well over 5 hrs, now time to sit in my office and vegitatate for 8hrs :lol:

Don't normally ride quite that far on work mornings. But it is a nice morning and the winter is coming. Best ride now before the need to curl up in depression on the couch with a tub of peanut butter and listening to radiohead for the winter :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 pm

I had a fairly easy going 106km last night with some flat out efforts to try and evade another rider. I thought if I got out of sight, I'd be fine. I didn't do enough. I may need to take a detour next time.
anttismo wrote:before the need to curl up in depression on the couch with a tub of peanut butter and listening to radiohead for the winter :lol:
I might have a chance to catch up with you in the kilometres race! :lol: Great ride there, good elevation. :)

kb

Postby kb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Have a bit of irritation around my inner thigh near the knee. :-( Funny, since I felt fine before two weeks of taking it easy. It looks like I missed a good morning too. Hoping things are better tomorrow.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:51 pm

kb wrote:Have a bit of irritation around my inner thigh near the knee. :-( Funny, since I felt fine before two weeks of taking it easy. It looks like I missed a good morning too. Hoping things are better tomorrow.
Adductor? That's irritating. Mine was a bit cranky yesterday as well - sore but no cramping. I'd just try rolling it out with a foam roller.

Over the weekend I had 123km and a slower 111km. Finished up the week with over 500km, second week in a row for that. I'm resting today and should be back on the bike tomorrow, weather permitting.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Well the long ride with the boafster achieved its goal, felt like death most of Saturday and looked dead on Sunday. Tick.

Had a couple nonspecific 60 minute blitzes for 90 TSS, basically nailing some of the local segments and hills to get the anaerobic going... just missed the downpour it seems!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 pm

great morning ride bit of hill practise

did brookefield gap creek road then around waterworks road simpson road back to towong and home, legs are killing me

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:24 pm

poohkies wrote:great morning ride bit of hill practise

did brookefield gap creek road then around waterworks road simpson road back to towong and home, legs are killing me
Nice route - I'm curious to know what time you were on waterworks road? I've been throwing the idea around of heading up Nebo for a ride before work. Just I'm a bit hesitant with the traffic along Waterworks road so I'm not too sure if it's worth the trouble.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:36 pm

was around 11:30 - 12:30 to be honest there wasn't much traffic but the person i ride with doesn't do main roads so alot of it we where on the bike path till bins and parked car became an issue

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:12 am

Xplora wrote:Well the long ride with the boafster achieved its goal, felt like death most of Saturday and looked dead on Sunday. Tick.

Had a couple nonspecific 60 minute blitzes for 90 TSS, basically nailing some of the local segments and hills to get the anaerobic going... just missed the downpour it seems!
Yeah, you bonked quite badly - if you'd eaten at Rouse Hill I think you would have been fine. :shock: Good to catch up after a such a long time. :)

We must do that again, but longer distance. I have a Gran Fondo 3 to tick off the list! :lol:

I did 30km of intervals yesterday morning and followed it up in the evening with 77.4km on some local roads and the M7, the back on the Liverpool to Parramatta T-way with my front light going flat. :shock:

I've got to do an FTP test sometime in the near future to see where I'm at now. Not sure when I'll do that.