Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

morini

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby morini » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Drop the bone girls.......

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:51 am

I got three bikes from a garage sale sold two for the price I paid for three so the third one was free.

This is the bike I kept an Elan bike. I've never heard of this brand before but it seem to be a decent bike. It has mostly a 400ex groupset with other various exage action and exage sport parts on it. The gear cables look pretty new and the front tire was still good. I've had to put a new back one on. The bike was missing the front brake so ive put on a cheapy dual pivot brake. I can see some one had already modified the fork for the modern brake to fit. So the modern dual pivot brake bolted right in.

I think this was a good purchase just need to replace the bar tape. I have no clue what the frame is made out of I can't find any stickers any where. I don't know what year this bike is either.

Any one else know much about these bikes?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/ ... bc3067.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/ ... 473316.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/ ... 3dc7af.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/ ... 5a34ee.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:41 pm

PatNZ wrote:I got three bikes from a garage sale sold two for the price I paid for three so the third one was free.

This is the bike I kept an Elan bike. I've never heard of this brand before but it seem to be a decent bike. It has mostly a 400ex groupset with other various exage action and exage sport parts on it. The gear cables look pretty new and the front tire was still good. I've had to put a new back one on. The bike was missing the front brake so ive put on a cheapy dual pivot brake. I can see some one had already modified the fork for the modern brake to fit. So the modern dual pivot brake bolted right in.

I think this was a good purchase just need to replace the bar tape. I have no clue what the frame is made out of I can't find any stickers any where. I don't know what year this bike is either.

Any one else know much about these bikes?

Love the fluro. You probably won't find what the frame is made of, but if you enjoy riding the bike, it doesn't really matter.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Well der, the frame's made of steel :lol: . IIRC Elan was something to do with Abeni, a trawl though the Abeni Appreciation thread might get you some more info.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Got this nice never used 600 derailleur at a market this morning.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Got this nice never used 600 derailleur at a market this morning.

dammit! Why can I never find one of those?

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 am

ldrcycles wrote:Well der, the frame's made of steel :lol: . IIRC Elan was something to do with Abeni, a trawl though the Abeni Appreciation thread might get you some more info.
I didn't manage to find out much from that thread only that Abeni didn't talk much and probably didn't keep good records. It'd be good to know what the frames made out of for curiosity purposes also if it turned out to be some thing good possibly even repaint the bike at some point.
I've heard some people mention that the seat post measurements can some times help determine information about the frame? The bike weighs 10.5kgs as is.

My partner actually loves the fluro color and I'm more concerned about how the thing rides. So its good. Still gonna hunt for more old steel bikes this spec or higher :-D.

Also good find with the unused 600 derailer. How much did it cost you?

morini

Postby morini » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 am

There's plenty of photos on the Abeni thread so I'd compare the frame lugs, fork crown etc and find a match and measure the seat post and I.D. the drop outs. Some of Abeni's trade frames were made of Falk by companies like Technotrat and used stamped dropouts. For some reason I thought yours was an Asian one but it really doesn't open any doors with me but you never know. Most of us only ever learnt anything about these frames by comparing them to others. Goggle other brands from the same stable like, Ferrari , Bernardi, Record, Europa, Viner, some cheaper Colnagos and Daccordi. There's probably more but I haven't had a coffee yet.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:47 pm

PatNZ wrote: Also good find with the unused 600 derailer. How much did it cost you?
It was $5. Unfortunately old habits die hard, I embarrassed myself by asking if he'd take $3.

mark field

Postby mark field » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:52 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
PatNZ wrote: Also good find with the unused 600 derailer. How much did it cost you?
It was $5. Unfortunately old habits die hard, I embarrassed myself by asking if he'd take $3.
:shock: please complete this sentence " the markets i went to were held at......."
steel is the real deal.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:28 pm

mark field wrote:
:shock: please complete this sentence " the markets i went to were held at......."
an undisclosed location.

What do I win?

Cheers,

Cameron

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:35 pm

:shock: please complete this sentence " the markets i went to were held at......."[/quote]

an undisclosed location.

What do I win?

Cheers,

Cameron[/quote]

An undisclosed prize :lol:
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

commando

Postby commando » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Picked this up locally a few days ago. Looks like a full Campagnolo groupset, though I'm no expert with these things.
There's a couple small spots of rust on the frame and it's quite dirty. After pumping up the tyres I took it for a quick spin around the block, it's been a long time since I've ridden a race bike and I forgot how fast they are! At first I thought I'd move it on, but I'm thinking I'll hang on to it.
I'll post more photos in the Abeni/Elan thread and hope someone can help date it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Nice find. I have to admit, I spent far too long looking at the thing under the right brake lever trying to work out what on earth kind of shifter it was before I realised it is the shed door handle :oops:

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:39 pm

mark field wrote:
I was at the Beenleigh weekend market but wandered over to the adjacent oval where there was a car part swap meet. The derailleur was on a table of car part odds and ends all for $5 each. Scoured the meet for more bargains without success.
I was surprised at the high price of old car parts. I should have kept my son's Torana that was rusting away in the back yard.

stwaen

Postby stwaen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:07 pm

I found this piece of crap left out for a verge pickup. It had the worst paint job I've ever seen, but it was my size and the frame wasn't cracked or bent. The bike must have been updated in the mid 80s with Shimano 600 and 105 parts and a Sugino Alero chainset. It still had the original Cinelli loose bearing headset and half of a Magistroni cup and cone BB. I couldn't find any name or information on the frame other than "7215" stamped on the bottom of the BB. I thought it was weird that it had an Italian BB shell that was only 66mm wide. No braze ons anywhere. The only ID would be the stamps on the Columbus dropouts. The frame is surprisingly lightweight, but I have no clue what it is.

Just some examples of how nasty it was:

I made it into a cruiser-ish bike. The paint job will flake off if you look at it wrong, but I'm glad I found a home for all the bits I had lying around. I kept the RD, calipers, shifter, cranks and fork crown race (it was 27mm and my new headset had a 26.4mm race). I drilled the BB shell for a cable guide and stretched the dropouts for a 130mm axle. I think it turned out pretty good considering how little I put into it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Nice work :) .

koen

Postby koen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:30 pm

What did you do with the nice old steel stem?

stwaen

Postby stwaen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:57 pm

It was more or less destroyed when I removed it from the fork (a pry bar and vise are not the tools of a surgeon). I think that's why the headset wasn't touched during the 80s rehab. The stem was practically welded to the fork.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:36 am

ldrcycles wrote:Nice work :) .
indeed. back in black.
steel is the real deal.

koen

Postby koen » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:19 pm

stwaen wrote:
It was more or less destroyed ..
sob :cry:

morini

Postby morini » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:20 pm

I'll bet that's a better quality frame than it looks. The frame number reminds me of the way one of my Hoffy frames is marked. Columbus dropouts are not real common on gaspipe frames so I wonder who made yours? What size is the seat post?

stwaen

Postby stwaen » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 pm

What size is the seat post?
The post is 26.0 mm. The seat tube and down tube OD is 28.6 mm. Top tube OD is 25.4.

Too bad the badge was long gone. The head tube only had a couple of horizontal holes for the badge rivets.

I've only ridden a few gas pipe road bikes. They definitely felt heavy and clunky even in good condition. This bike rides well IMO. Of course, I did fit 28mm tires and an old pair of alloy wheels.

morini

Postby morini » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:30 pm

26mm ? That's interesting. Judging by the lack of cable guides and braze ons I'd say it's pretty old. I wonder when Columbus lugs appeared on the market? There'd be someone on here who could pick this for sure because early good quality frames are pretty scarce I'd reckon. Maybe you need to start a thread on this one.

singlespeedscott

Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:31 pm

I'm thinking he has an old Cinelli This is based on the fast back seatstays, Columbus tubing tips and the 26mm seat post. It could explain the missing head badge and stem badge. A pity the original Cinelli stem and bars weren't saved. :(