2014 Noosa Strade Bianche

ldrcycles

2014 Noosa Strade Bianche

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:17 pm

The 4th edition will be taking place on 9th and 10th of August this year, those who have done it before will know how awesome it is, those who haven't done it yet, get your backside and old bike to Noosa, you'll love it!

The Saturday 'Mini Fondo' from 2012 is back this year, I believe it's the same Tewantin-Cooroy and back route but the maps won't load for me atm so don't quote me.
The long and short course rides on the Sunday are the same as last year.

I'll be on the old faithful Mercier and my brother and a work colleague should be joining me, so long as I build bikes for them in time :) .
I won't be doing my usual crazed last minute restorations this year, just taking the ones I already have, unless I find something really cool that I HAVE to do :lol: .

Website with route details, registration etc etc.
http://www.noosa-stradebianche.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/NoosaStradeBianche" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just so it's clear, the event is organised by spinner and cotterpin531, i'm not an organiser, just a BIG fan. I did get engaged at the 2012 show and shine after all :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Re: 2014 Noosa Strade Bianche

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:28 pm

I should be there.

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:58 pm

On my calendar.
Tony :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:58 am

These things look like an interesting outing. :wink: It's a shame that I'm a fat, unfit, old fart otherwise I'd have a crack, maybe sometime in the future when I have some hill conditioning in my legs. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:09 am

Just do it Foo. There are of riders of all shapes, sizes and fitness. It's not a race, just a good day out riding some old pushies.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 am

Yea, you can always do the short course, there's more people that do that than the long course. The short course isn't as hard as it looks, as scott said it's a social thing so you can take as long as you want and there's always someone to have a chat to. Some of the climbs are so steep most people will walk them anyway, so that reduces the pedalling time a bit :) .

And there have been a few blokes (scott among them) who have done the long course on fixed gears.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:59 am

I second the above sentiments. Just Foo It!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:54 pm

You lot only wanna point and laugh at me! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

koen

Postby koen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:30 pm

ldrcycles wrote: Just so it's clear, the event is organised by spinner and cotterpin531, i'm not an organiser, just a BIG fan. I did get engaged at the 2012 show and shine after all :D .
Which bike did you end up with? :?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:42 pm

As with that year and 2013 my lovely wife and I will be there once again this year in our sunday best with the old his n hers Healings.

Turns out I was wrong about the mini fondo course, there's a new one this year, i'll have to get out and have a look at it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/118524021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michaelweare

Postby michaelweare » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:31 am

I've got it in my calendar. As others have already said, it's a fantastic event and a good way to spend some time with like minded people.

The show and shine also showcases some fantastic bikes.

Cheers Michael

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:40 am

Are there any cheap accommodation options within rideable distance from the start point?

koen

Postby koen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:48 pm

metalrideroz wrote:Are there any cheap accommodation options within rideable distance from the start point?
Apart from pass out drunk, sleeping on the beach? :)
Gives one that old timey look to go with the bike.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 pm

metalrideroz wrote:Are there any cheap accommodation options within rideable distance from the start point?
You bet!

Noosa Backpackers Resort at Munna Point is about 3km from the Marina. And you could nip across to Maccas on the way :) .
http://www.noosabackpackers.com/rooms-a-prices.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3km in the other direction you've got Bougainvillea Caravan Park over towards Tinbeerwah.
http://www.big4noosa.com.au/accommodati ... mmodation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then Nomads Backpackers over at Noosa Heads, 6km away but Noosa is very cruisy riding so that's an easy roll. As cheap as $26/night on their website :) .
http://nomadsworld.com/hostels/australia/nomads-noosa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Koen's suggestion is definitely also an option :lol: .

EDIT: fine print-there would certainly be a bunch of other options, i haven't stayed at any of those above, they were just the first ones i could find on the googlez. Buyer beware, void if opened, seek medical attention if symptoms persist etc etc. :)

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
You bet!

Noosa Backpackers Resort at Munna Point is about 3km from the Marina. And you could nip across to Maccas on the way :) .
http://www.noosabackpackers.com/rooms-a-prices.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3km in the other direction you've got Bougainvillea Caravan Park over towards Tinbeerwah.
http://www.big4noosa.com.au/accommodati ... mmodation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then Nomads Backpackers over at Noosa Heads, 6km away but Noosa is very cruisy riding so that's an easy roll. As cheap as $26/night on their website :) .
http://nomadsworld.com/hostels/australia/nomads-noosa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Koen's suggestion is definitely also an option :lol: .

EDIT: fine print-there would certainly be a bunch of other options, i haven't stayed at any of those above, they were just the first ones i could find on the googlez. Buyer beware, void if opened, seek medical attention if symptoms persist etc etc. :)
Thanks for the head start. Big 4 looks like a decent option.

dayne

Postby dayne » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:48 am

For the third year running I will be in NZ
Hopefully one day I will make it along.

servicimo

Postby servicimo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Although I understand it ....and I don't want to be negative, but the dt shifter thing kills it for me a bit. I'm sure I could manage with them but I don't think I could be bothered converting my bike.
one nice bike.....

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:24 pm

I have been thinking about this. To keep with the tone of the ride I really think I think the limits should be -

There should be no STi or Ergo shifters etc, but barend, stem shifters and others should be fine;
7 or less sprockets on the back, be they freewheels or cassettes;
No external bottom bracket bearing cranks;
There should be no limit on the materials used for the frame construction as there have been plenty of steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon frames in the past and the frames can be new or old;
All brake types should be accepted except for discs and V-brakes;
Limit tyre sizes to 45mm in width but any diametre wheel is acceptable;
Bikes used should be racers, no MTB's, BMX or cruisers, but randonneurs and touring bikes should be fine as long as they meet the other requirements.

servicimo

Postby servicimo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Well my 1990 Zeus with campy record 10 speed is out! :cry: ...shame
one nice bike.....

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Unfortunately yes. The ride is about retro rides. The frame would be fine but it's the drive train that's the limiting factor. Mind you I'm sure no one would really mind if you turned up and rode it anyway.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:32 pm

i remember some active discussion about all of this prior to last years event. the organisers made it pretty clear that the rules are there to be followed, but having said that, they're top blokes, and i doubt you'll get more than a friendly ribbing for turning up on a slightly more modern bike. turn up on a venge and be prepared to be called a f***wit tho. 8)

shoulda kept that bianchi, mate :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 pm

servicimo wrote:Although I understand it ....and I don't want to be negative, but the dt shifter thing kills it for me a bit. I'm sure I could manage with them but I don't think I could be bothered converting my bike.
+1, i was wondering how long it would take for this topic to come up. I personally think it's nonsense, to me a bike is defined by the frame, not the running gear.

To me i think it should be very simple, any road bike/randonneur/tourer pre 1996, and consideration given to steel frames newer than that. Running gear shouldn't come into it, if it does then you might as well say no tyres or brake pads made after 1990 either. There seems to be more of a culture of obsessive period correctness overseas, IMO australians are more interested in just riding their retro bikes, so why wouldn't you fit whatever running gear you feel most comfortable with.

I'll still be running DT shifters myself because that's what is on my only 27" wheeled bike, but it's obvious to me this is a major obstacle to the event realising it's full potential.

End rant :) .

dayne

Postby dayne » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:31 pm

I remember last year thinking the same,
The guys are great and it's their ride,
But it rules me out I collect bikes and have quite a big stable of bikes from the late 80's to the early 90's but all are to new.

I have one bike that is elligble but is a track bike from around 1909 and in original condition and there is no way I would ride it.

My llewellyn's are down tube shifters but were made in 1991 so that rules them out, the tommasini's are 91 but have 1991 campy c record brifters so they are also ruled out.

It will be a great day none the less.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Taken from http://www.noosa-stradebianche.com.au/registration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‘THE RULES’

BICYCLES ARE TO BE STEEL FRAMED, WITH DOWNTUBE SHIFTERS.
NO STI, ERGO LEVERS.
CLIPLESS PEDALS ARE ALLOWED.
ALLOY TUBED & LUGGED FRAMES SUCH AS ‘VITUS’ ARE PERMITTED.
NO CARBON FIBRE.

no mention of build dates.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Has that been changed? I was sure it used to specify pre 89.