The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

gabrielle260

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 pm

My first contribution to this thread....
This morning, riding in on Beach Rd Brighton, a truck passed me in the next lane with a cyclist drafting a metre or so behind it.
Ok - I've done it in the past but not in peak hour traffic and not on a road with traffic lights. Crazy!!

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:30 pm

I can't believe what I saw today.

I was driving a work car up quite a big hill on a 70km/hr road, I'm doing about 60km/hr when a guy clearly on a push bike comes past me.

Up hill. No pedaling. He had 2 rear and 2 front saddle bags, I guess filled with batteries. I couldn't get a look at the motor he was using. I don't want to know what speed he gets up to on the flats.

My guess is we are going to start seeing heaps more people cheat the 250W limit.

I know the legal 250Wers can barely get you 30km/hr. On my commute on the M1 I am now seeing 3 to 4 people per day clearly on way over powered and dangerous electric bikes zooming along at 50km/hr+.

I doubt the police can do anything? How can they measure power output on the spot?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 pm

myforwik wrote:On my commute on the M1 I am now seeing 3 to 4 people per day clearly on way over powered and dangerous electric bikes zooming along at 50km/hr+.

I doubt the police can do anything? How can they measure power output on the spot?
50? There's a guy I see regularly who can do 64km/h on the flat. allegedly a 2000w motor with the 200w sticker affixed

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:58 pm

jasonc wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:
bychosis wrote:And we all know that ALL cyclist don't stop for red lights too. That is the most important reason to look before you leap.
And the ones in Lycra think they are in the TDF

I am thinking of making my own bicycle numberplate up- any suggestions for what it should say- was thinking SHVDLEGS or KUDOS2ME, maybe STRVAKOM or LYKMYASS, even LYCRASS? See this could be an alternative income stream to cover all the damage cyclists are doing to the poor fragile road infrastructure with those thin cutting tyres
Others could be ROADHOG, TARGET, SPEEDHUMP etc

Sorry for the slight change in direction, I am blaming my brains random wandering on a friday. :oops:
what about RUNRED
NOR-390 is pretty leet.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 pm

myforwik wrote:I can't believe what I saw today.

I was driving a work car up quite a big hill on a 70km/hr road, I'm doing about 60km/hr when a guy clearly on a push bike comes past me.

Up hill. No pedaling. He had 2 rear and 2 front saddle bags, I guess filled with batteries. I couldn't get a look at the motor he was using. I don't want to know what speed he gets up to on the flats.

My guess is we are going to start seeing heaps more people cheat the 250W limit.

I know the legal 250Wers can barely get you 30km/hr. On my commute on the M1 I am now seeing 3 to 4 people per day clearly on way over powered and dangerous electric bikes zooming along at 50km/hr+.

There are couple I have seen that are normal bikes converted using what appears to be four rolls of gaffa tape and zip ties, quality construction I have been assured and perfectly safe in the hands of a bogan on a BSO at 60km/h.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:05 pm

tekapo wrote:
Mozz wrote:Gobsmacked I was ... seriously... was commuting to work inbound Oxley Road, Sherwood, Brisbane around 7am slowing down for a pedestrian crossing red light with what looked like a mother and her young son (approx 6 years old) who himself was on a bike (they were both on the footpath). As I was slowing, the son, was watching to see my movements before heading off to cross the road... the mother sees this and is not happy that he hasn't just shot out to cross the road as soon as the green man appears... the mother says to him in reasonably forceful manner ... "You have the right of way" and she said this around 4 or 5 times as they cross the road and continued to berate him as they continued back along Oxley Road.... hopefully the son continues with his cautious and proper behaviour and doesn't pick up his mothers poor and potentially life endangering habits....
Sigh..... What else is there to say. They have the right of way, but they should look and make eye contact as they cross. Then they will know the position and speed of the car or bike, and the driver will know they are crossing.
They could have been newly arrived from Italy :lol:

Look at the traffic, even worse make eye contact with a driver, in Italy as a pedestrian and you'll be waiting all day for the traffic to stop for you. Looking at traffic tells the drivers "Yes, they have seen me and will stop". The proper way to cross a street (any street, with or without a crossing) is to look straight ahead and just step out, walking at a steady, slow pace. If you're in a hurry you wave your hand at the traffic while looking the other way :P
Last edited by il padrone on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mozz

Postby Mozz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:05 pm

During the week I saw a guy on some sort of battery powered cycle pulling 55-60kph on the corro drive bikeway in Brisbane, just as it goes under the freeway.... hmmm I thought to myself... that just isn't safe on a bikeway let alone a shared pedestrian pathway

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Mozz wrote:Gobsmacked I was ... seriously... was commuting to work inbound Oxley Road, Sherwood, Brisbane around 7am slowing down for a pedestrian crossing red light with what looked like a mother and her young son (approx 6 years old) who himself was on a bike (they were both on the footpath). As I was slowing, the son, was watching to see my movements before heading off to cross the road... the mother sees this and is not happy that he hasn't just shot out to cross the road as soon as the green man appears... the mother says to him in reasonably forceful manner ... "You have the right of way" and she said this around 4 or 5 times as they cross the road and continued to berate him as they continued back along Oxley Road.... hopefully the son continues with his cautious and proper behaviour and doesn't pick up his mothers poor and potentially life endangering habits....
I actually stoped someone from being hit by a car that drove through the red light where the crossing is at the old furniture store on Oxley road in the Sherwood area. When the green man lit up they just went to walk straight out without looking and didn't wait for the cars to stop and it was very very close.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 pm

jasonc wrote:
myforwik wrote:On my commute on the M1 I am now seeing 3 to 4 people per day clearly on way over powered and dangerous electric bikes zooming along at 50km/hr+.

50? There's a guy I see regularly who can do 64km/h on the flat. allegedly a 2000w motor with the 200w sticker affixed
This one ?

or this one ?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Mozz wrote:During the week I saw a guy on some sort of battery powered cycle pulling 55-60kph on the corro drive bikeway
Only 55-60 along the corro drive bikeway? That won't even get him in the top 10 for some strava segments along there. I've even gone faster than that only using my legs although that was further along the bikeway :P

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Mozz wrote:During the week I saw a guy on some sort of battery powered cycle pulling 55-60kph on the corro drive bikeway
Only 55-60 along the corro drive bikeway? That won't even get him in the top 10 for some strava segments along there. I've even gone faster than that only using my legs although that was further along the bikeway :P
Difference is you had to work at it to get there- these guys aren't raising a sweat doing it.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
There is a big difference between the sprints and the longer segments though. As it happens, I scored a KOM on the bicentennial bikepath coming home this afternoon (Exhibit A below) in my velomobile - 3.3kms (AT) 46.6 km/h. Sure I was slowed in a few places by traffic and could have gone a little faster with a clean run but Night Fury (see vid above) lives near me so I've been passed by him many times in a number of different situations, and I can assure you that I cannot keep up with him unless its a good long downhill, and by that stage we are both over the speed limit.... 8-(

I understand a good sprinter will do 60+ for a short distance but Night Fury does 60+ all the way to Brookfield, and he does it in work clothes, without raising a sweat. As could my mother, on his bike ....

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:38 am

Leaving repair stuff on cycle paths - CO2 cartridge specifically. Dumb or selfish, not sure which.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 5#p1096035
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:32 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Leaving repair stuff on cycle paths - CO2 cartridge specifically. Dumb or selfish, not sure which.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 5#p1096035
The two are very much not mutually exclusive. So I'll go with both!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:51 am

pretty sure it's the first one rhubarb. btw - kudos on the kom

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Image
Looks like I need to lift my game.... or have strava pick up that segment :P

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:38 pm

A kid on a scooter darts out onto the road, i thought he'd stop, or check the road..

I titled the video unpredictable, but I saw him and knew he would do something stupid... but still expected him to stop, he even looked at me (or so i thought)

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:09 pm

CXCommuter wrote:I am thinking of making my own bicycle numberplate up- any suggestions for what it should say- was thinking SHVDLEGS or KUDOS2ME, maybe STRVAKOM or LYKMYASS, even LYCRASS?
I'll take AYHSMB :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:09 am

Biffidus wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:I am thinking of making my own bicycle numberplate up- any suggestions for what it should say- was thinking SHVDLEGS or KUDOS2ME, maybe STRVAKOM or LYKMYASS, even LYCRASS?
I'll take AYHSMB :)
CMoreButts? I8PP? C.U.P?

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:20 pm

An incident the other day, on a shared path... There seems to be a lot of comments here describing
angst and aggro, abuse, and disrespect both to and from cyclists and pedestrians on shared paths.

Here's one with a different slant... It doesn't always have to be that way.

A lovely day last week sees yours truly, trundling along in no great hurry on the '80 Apollo III, keeping
to the left, although visibility was perfect on the (at this stage straight) path. Cue two sweet young
20-somethings heading towards me on foot, one keeping to her left, one in the centre of the path.

So, well before I was close enough to need the bell, they've noticed this Apollophile bearing down
upon them, and so they've moved, in plenty of time and in perfect safety.

To their right. Ie, onto my side of the path.

Looks of consternation ensue, and they begin to move back. I make a negative gesture, shake my
head and point to indicate that I would move to the right, and pass them on their left.

Friendly waves all round, two embarrassed smiles from them, and one friendly reassuring one (from
me), a chorus of 'Sorry!' and the world moved on once more.

Just thought I'd share... :)
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Did you wake up to the dog licking your face? LOL

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:30 am

^ :lol:

This morning there were more than usual bikes out on tee share path. Special mention goes to the muppet on the cruiser, riding along with not a care in the world weaving through the dashed centreline marking. He was doing it for a fair while while I caught him up so I rang the bell a couple of times a good distance out, appeared not to notice so I rang the bell lots of times as I got closer. He moved back to the left as I got into passing mode so I duly passed. Only problem was he wasn't moving left for me, merely weaving to the left, which when followed by another weave to the right meant near collision status. Vocal disapproval from me (not offensive).

I didn't stop to see if he got the hint, but hope that he did because there was another rider not far behind that I had just overtaken and was also riding at a fair pace. There was also at least three other riders on the path that would have overtaken him at some stage too.

As he was moving left and right I couldn't tell wether he was moving left out of the way or just continuing on his weaving way. Fine if you are the only one around, not so fine when other riders are riding faster in the same direction.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:47 pm

Group ride this morning. Some bloke on a steelie overtook our group and proceeded to run 4 successive red lights along one of our busier roads. Some people give cyclists a bad reputation.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:53 pm

briztoon wrote:Group ride this morning. Some bloke on a steelie overtook our group and proceeded to run 4 successive red lights along one of our busier roads. Some people give cyclists a bad reputation.
One guy to add to this too, on Camden Valley Way this morning. Went straight through the red crossing light and nearly got himself cleaned up by a car turning right. All it saved him was maybe a minute in getting to the McDonalds about a few hundred metres away.

I imagine his club will find out about it if the car driver makes a complaint (he was in the full team kit).

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:43 pm

http://youtu.be/yTUXvUeRY7U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;