eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Torana68

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Torana68 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 pm

morini wrote:..............................If Major Taylor had a bike and it was still around you'd have to say there'd be a good chance Jack Walsh might have owned it. It's just not worth $25,000 is it?
you would need a direct connection , for example, MT rode the bike and left it with the agent on display, it was bouight by Mr A and the receipt says "frame No .... raced by MT" the receipt is passed to next owner and on to current .
saying its thought to have been left behind doesnt cut it
whats it worth? to a US Museum a lot but they'd be looking for some sort of time line PROOF, documentation, receipts. Without those its just another old bike. It doesnt really look like an '02 to me, more like a late teens bike?
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 pm

And he doesn't cover himself in historical cycling accuracy glory with answers like this:
ebay ad wrote: Q: Hello, Can you please give measurements of: Front wheel; 28” or 26”? (I'm not able to discern from your pic of the front wheel) The hole count of the front hub 32 or 36? Any markings on the hubs? The teeth count on the chainring? The teeth count on the rear sprocket? Lastly, the wheel base dimension? Thanks 10-Mar-14
A: hi, i have measured and used a conversion table online as in AUSTRALIA we only use centimeters now.. they are,, wheels, 66cm, 25.98inches from top of rim to bottom of rim. outer dia. the front hub is 32 spoke, the rear is 36 spoke. there are 44 teeth on chain ring and 14 on rear sprocket.. Wheel base axle to axle centres is109cm or 42.91 inches... hope this helps, regards steve
Nobody I know uses centimeters for wheels except 700c. Some people might use centimetres 8) , but not many.

Jim

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Yea good luck to him but as has been said, i would want a hell of a lot more than "maybe" to spend that kind of money.

Sad to see what would have been a fascinating collection being so carelessly hocked.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

morini

Postby morini » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 pm

by Steptoe and Son Australia

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Daughter taking a job in BroadBeach. BF doesn't drive, so have suggested one way he get around is to get a bicycle. So I'll be looking Bris/Gold Coast for him. If anyone up that way sees something that might do the trick.. he's med build; would imagine a 54 in road steel. Maybe a vintage MTB would do it though. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:21 pm

BT Superbike anyone? I would go for it myself, but its gone for more than Id like to pay for a bike in that condition. For some reason it is in really bad condition, even though it shouldve been an ex-AIS bike. There seems to be two BB shells though. ANyway, this is the road version, in which the only one similar to the one in this ad is wing nut's track version.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AIS-BT-RMIT- ... 417d842bda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

frog

Postby frog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:14 am

Some more french frauds? faux frogs?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Steel-Road-B ... 32b&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peeep.us/dd0b0bc8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm

So what exactly does this grease contain?
Clamont
How much for an Apollo gaspipe?!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:34 pm

QuangVuong wrote:BT Superbike anyone? I would go for it myself, but its gone for more than Id like to pay for a bike in that condition. For some reason it is in really bad condition, even though it shouldve been an ex-AIS bike. There seems to be two BB shells though. ANyway, this is the road version, in which the only one similar to the one in this ad is wing nut's track version.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AIS-BT-RMIT- ... 417d842bda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is no reason to think that this bike was ever owned by the AIS. They were developed by RMIT with support from the AIS and built by BT hence the tags in the description, but they were commercially available at the time. A few triathletes raced on these which would explain both the rust and the wetsuit stickers. The track/pursuit bikes have more historical appeal as they were what the design was originally intended for.

Cheers,

Cameron

munga

Postby munga » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 pm

rangersac wrote:So what exactly does this grease contain?
the smell of passion :roll:

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 pm

morini wrote: If Major Taylor had a bike and it was still around you'd have to say there'd be a good chance Jack Walsh might have owned it. It's just not worth $25,000 is it?
Yes that is Major Taylor's bike, the one that was in Walsh's shop. Its the real deal.
Seller has typed one zero too many I think.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Chro-mo? I don't think so: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kaleen/b ... 1041095146

Now this is much nicer, but was $260 yesterday from a Gumtree self-employee: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/duffy/bi ... 1040324399

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
morini wrote: If Major Taylor had a bike and it was still around you'd have to say there'd be a good chance Jack Walsh might have owned it. It's just not worth $25,000 is it?
Yes that is Major Taylor's bike, the one that was in Walsh's shop. Its the real deal.
What makes you say that?

I'm just interested.
I reckon this conversation needs it's own thread.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:09 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
QuangVuong wrote:BT Superbike anyone? I would go for it myself, but its gone for more than Id like to pay for a bike in that condition. For some reason it is in really bad condition, even though it shouldve been an ex-AIS bike. There seems to be two BB shells though. ANyway, this is the road version, in which the only one similar to the one in this ad is wing nut's track version.
There is no reason to think that this bike was ever owned by the AIS. They were developed by RMIT with support from the AIS and built by BT hence the tags in the description, but they were commercially available at the time. A few triathletes raced on these which would explain both the rust and the wetsuit stickers. The track/pursuit bikes have more historical appeal as they were what the design was originally intended for.

Cheers,

Cameron
Went for a crazy $661 price. And here I was thinking I could get it for a little bit cheaper due to the damage :(

I never knew that these were commercially available. Due to the scarce info on them, I assumed that it was developed and used exclusively by the AIS.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Imwit wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
What makes you say that?

I'm just interested.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/ ... m=storyrhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 pm

munga wrote:
rangersac wrote:So what exactly does this grease contain?
the smell of passion :roll:
so what does this one smell of?

munga

Postby munga » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:26 pm

The smell of onanism..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:40 pm

QuangVuong wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:

Cheers,

Cameron
Went for a crazy $661 price. And here I was thinking I could get it for a little bit cheaper due to the damage :(

I never knew that these were commercially available. Due to the scarce info on them, I assumed that it was developed and used exclusively by the AIS.
These bikes and similar offerings from companies like Giant and Pinarello triggered the knee-jerk reaction from the UCI to change the rules and ensure that frames looked at least vaguely like 'what Eddie rode' on the basis of asserting 'the primacy of man over machine'. The intent was to try and limit the arms race on bike development and prevent all the records falling to the richest competitors, rather than the best athletes. The irony was that the BT frames at least were cheaper than a custom built Kenevens, which was just about the benchmark of the time. I seem to recall that at one stage the Kiwi team was competing on identical equipment (black v white) to the Australian team and there was surprise that we didn't keen the best stuff for ourselves..

The selling price was a lot, but these were specifically intended to be the fastest bikes around at the time. They might still perform well against the more standard frames today.

Cheers,

Cameron

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:54 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Imwit wrote:
Derny Driver wrote: Yes that is Major Taylor's bike, the one that was in Walsh's shop. Its the real deal.
What makes you say that?

I'm just interested.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/ ... m=storyrhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That article is posted in the ebay ad.
You reckon if Jack said it was then that's that?
(I don't know anything of Jack Walsh besides what the seller sprouts)

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:00 am

Hetchins inspired Speedwell. You get wavey forks and both a curvy TT with DT. :lol:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beaumont ... 1041112324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

morini

Postby morini » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:59 am

Imwit wrote:
That article is posted in the ebay ad.
You reckon if Jack said it was then that's that?
(I don't know anything of Jack Walsh besides what the seller sprouts)
You could always go and have a look at it and get back to us. :D

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 am

Most expensive Raleigh in Australia?
You can tell plenty about this Ricardo from the photo
What is this flippin' travesty of a fork doing on this?
Need to inspect the top tube and forks but this Ricardo could be decent
A lovely but rather optimistically priced Claud Butler

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 pm

rangersac wrote:You can tell plenty about this Ricardo from the photo
Does this description tell you anymore ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:41 pm

find_bruce wrote:Does this description tell you anymore ?
Hey it's FuNkY green!

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:12 pm

rangersac wrote: Need to inspect the top tube and forks but this Ricardo could be decent
... indeed. About a 56? Looks in very good shape. And away from salt air, if that's where it's been.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.