The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

biker jk

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 pm

If you use behind the saddle bidon holders please ditch them. They seem to be very popular with tri-athletes. I was descending a steepish hill recently and the rider in front lost a bidon and I watched it bouncing across the road thinking this won't end well. Thankfully I steered around it. I told the rider those bidon cages are rubbish. He then held onto his bottle when descending over bumpy road. Who needs two hands on the bar when descending!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 pm

When in Browns Plains..... :P

IMHO he needs a steeper hill :P

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 pm

biker jk wrote:If you use behind the saddle bidon holders please ditch them. They seem to be very popular with tri-athletes. I was descending a steepish hill recently and the rider in front lost a bidon and I watched it bouncing across the road thinking this won't end well. Thankfully I steered around it. I told the rider those bidon cages are rubbish. He then held onto his bottle when descending over bumpy road. Who needs two hands on the bar when descending!
Often referred to as bidon launchers. They need the right cage to be secure. Hitting a bottle doesn't usually end well.

Cheers,

Cameron

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:34 pm

The bloke on a road bike i saw in Marcoola on sunday afternoon definitely fits the dumb cyclist category. Coming up to the red traffic light for a pedestrian crossing, a couple of cars in front of him and instead of just feathering the brakes for a couple of seconds til the light turned green, he just went flying through the red. No excuse.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 pm

It was me today... I was towing one of my kids to school (Fadden) from Canberra Hospital, when I decided to go down the hill along the road shoulder on Erindale Dve instead of get lost on the trails between Long Gully Rd and Bugden Ave. I was on my mtb with a tag-a-long. We topped out at 57.2km/h on the way down, which I'm fairly sure is beyond the design capacity of the tag-a-long... The boy loved it, but in hindsight I feel like a very irresponsible parent...

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:01 pm

lobstermash wrote:It was me today... I was towing one of my kids to school (Fadden) from Canberra Hospital, when I decided to go down the hill along the road shoulder on Erindale Dve instead of get lost on the trails between Long Gully Rd and Bugden Ave. I was on my mtb with a tag-a-long. We topped out at 57.2km/h on the way down, which I'm fairly sure is beyond the design capacity of the tag-a-long... The boy loved it, but in hindsight I feel like a very irresponsible parent...
Lobstermash- next goal is to hit 60km/h then your son will think you are even more of a legend!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Next time i'm in canberra I'll offer my services as a lead out :P

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
lobstermash wrote:It was me today... I was towing one of my kids to school (Fadden) from Canberra Hospital, when I decided to go down the hill along the road shoulder on Erindale Dve instead of get lost on the trails between Long Gully Rd and Bugden Ave. I was on my mtb with a tag-a-long. We topped out at 57.2km/h on the way down, which I'm fairly sure is beyond the design capacity of the tag-a-long... The boy loved it, but in hindsight I feel like a very irresponsible parent...
Lobstermash- next goal is to hit 60km/h then your son will think you are even more of a legend!!
I could pump up the knobblies a little or chuck some slicks on there I guess...

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:39 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
biker jk wrote:If you use behind the saddle bidon holders please ditch them. They seem to be very popular with tri-athletes. I was descending a steepish hill recently and the rider in front lost a bidon and I watched it bouncing across the road thinking this won't end well. Thankfully I steered around it. I told the rider those bidon cages are rubbish. He then held onto his bottle when descending over bumpy road. Who needs two hands on the bar when descending!
Often referred to as bidon launchers. They need the right cage to be secure. Hitting a bottle doesn't usually end well.

Cheers,

Cameron
I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago at my first ever race (a crit). Me and another fella were sprinting to the the finish line to decide second last place when one of his bidons came out. The thing was rolling around, going left, then right, left again arhg. Not that I had much chance of beating him to the line but the bidon pretty much guarenteed it. :lol:
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 pm

My 4YO in particular continually eggs me on to go 'racing'. We did the 'Big Canberra Bike Ride' recently and both kids loved the fast bit along Parkes Way when we were riding with a couple of racing mates on a tandem, and another in a CCC jersey towing a trailer at 35-40 km/h. They also liked the couple of hot laps that we did of the Stromlo crit circuit.

I don't see the problem of speed (when it is sensible), even at maximum braking, the bike doesn't have enough traction to cause the tag-a-long to jack-knife. Teach the kids to enjoy riding I say.

Cheers,

Cameron

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:44 pm

ironhanglider wrote:I don't see the problem of speed (when it is sensible), even at maximum braking, the bike doesn't have enough traction to cause the tag-a-long to jack-knife. Teach the kids to enjoy riding I say.
What makes you think bikes don't have much traction? Their traction is little different from most road vehicles with carbon black tyres. Bikes can stop extremely quickly if you ask them to. A tag-a-long though is unlikely to jacknife, but that isn't due to the lack of braking on bikes!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am

Me this morning, decided to take an inbound shortcut which was the reverse of my normal outbound path (don't normally go the same way inbound and outbound).

Was turning right at a roundabout, but had my eye on a ute approaching from straight on to make sure he was giving way, and seemed to miss my exit!? Around I go again, meanwhile it turns out the ute was using the roundabout to do a u-ey so we're both going around and around in circles. Get back to the point where I want to exit to discover I can't, you can only enter the roundabout from the right (my normal outbound route) but not exit it. I'm not very observant of stuff I don't need to immediately know (like notice return routes) and its a weird little 5-way roundabout. Anyway around I go again.... with a different car also going in circles doing a u-ey behind me... :oops:

Luckily everybody was patient.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am

that's why my wife won't let me get a tag-along :(

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:09 am

I thought I'd take the 'safer' route today, offroad over the top of Mount Wanniassa. Tag-a-longs and wet trails do not mix, especially on >-20% descents. I'd rather fly down the hill along the road...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:00 pm

I was riding in the cycling lane of Centennial Park when to my amazement another bicycle is coming straight at me just as I approached the restaurant (it's one way, clockwise). Suffice to say I provided my thoughts on this foolish action to the rider who smiled and stuck out her hand as if to invite a high five for her moronic behaviour. On the next lap around I spotted the park rangers who had stopped her and were having an instructive chat. She looked puzzled over why they had stopped her. :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

biker jk wrote:I was riding in the cycling lane of Centennial Park when to my amazement another bicycle is coming straight at me just as I approached the restaurant (it's one way, clockwise). Suffice to say I provided my thoughts on this foolish action to the rider who smiled and stuck out her hand as if to invite a high five for her moronic behaviour. On the next lap around I spotted the park rangers who had stopped her and were having an instructive chat. She looked puzzled over why they had stopped her. :shock:
did you go the high 5? :mrgreen:

zero

Postby zero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

biker jk wrote:I was riding in the cycling lane of Centennial Park when to my amazement another bicycle is coming straight at me just as I approached the restaurant (it's one way, clockwise). Suffice to say I provided my thoughts on this foolish action to the rider who smiled and stuck out her hand as if to invite a high five for her moronic behaviour. On the next lap around I spotted the park rangers who had stopped her and were having an instructive chat. She looked puzzled over why they had stopped her. :shock:
I wish they'd do that with the taxi drivers (yes I've seen a taxi driver drive the wrong way round the loop more than once).

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
did you go the high 5 to the face? :mrgreen:
fixed it for you :twisted:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:32 pm

Tomca74 wrote:
jasonc wrote:
did you go the high 5 to the face? :mrgreen:
fixed it for you :twisted:
i may have done a different hand symbol altogether

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 pm

I wasn't too happy with the guy in the Orica Greenedge gear near Hoxton Park tonight announcing he was on my wheel and expecting that I should tow him some few hundred metres at whatever speed I was doing.

And even more unhappy with the criticism from this guy. If that's you - I'll purposely go slow next time I see you. Perhaps you failed to notice me unclipping and prodding my ankle numerous times. :roll:

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:00 am

Wednesday night commuting home after 6.30pm (yes, Brisbanites, it is dark at that time) and while in the middle of crossing Story Bridge i come across some muppet on a unicycle with no lights of any sort, weaving drunkenly, while twirling a full size hula hoop over his head. Some choice and perhaps crass words about his choice of behaviour and uncertain parentage were said as i went past. Next time i see this sort of stunt pulled i'll be doing an unclip of the frame pump and giving a smart rap over the helmet as i go past...

Mountcyclo

Postby Mountcyclo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:04 am

On occasion ride some of the cycle paths around town and have lost count of the times I've had to move off the path due to nimrods trudging along in the middle of the path with earbuds or headphones planted in their ears.

Ringing the bell is futile, will have to see about a klaxon.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:56 am

zero wrote:
I wish they'd do that with the taxi drivers (yes I've seen a taxi driver drive the wrong way round the loop more than once).
Indeed, this morning a car turned right from the Randwick TAFE entrance heading straight for some cyclists. :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am

early morning for me this morning (leaving home just before 5am). 2 bikes coming the hill to the jindalee bridge - 1 sans lights. just as well it was the second bike or I would have had no idea anyone was there. IDIOTS

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:23 am

jasonc wrote:early morning for me this morning (leaving home just before 5am). 2 bikes coming the hill to the jindalee bridge - 1 sans lights. just as well it was the second bike or I would have had no idea anyone was there. IDIOTS
Same thing last night, one guy riding in the opposite direction with lights, the second guy (on the wrong side of the cycleway) in dark green or brown gear with no lights, we only saw him at last moment, he moved back to the correct side at the last moment and apologised. I was number 3 in our group, and it looked close from where I was. Take care out there.