How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:08 am

well done Whorl.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am

After a few days when I’ve managed a pretty good run, this morning was a classic. Managed to get every red light, traffic was banked up in places where it normally isn’t, there was roadworks, a garbage truck blocking a shared path while they emptied the bins – you name it, it was there this morning. Quite comical – I was riding along thinking, “What next..”

Still, it was a lovely morning, and all the obstacles gave me more time to enjoy it..

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:00 am

Upgraditis has struck with a new road bike in the stable. The old road bike (Trek 1.2) has had a set of guards fitted (rack soon) and has been relegated to commuter duties. The old commuter (Trek 8.4 DS) has been decommissioned from its role, cleaned and preserved and is on standby as a touring bike. Or for sale - running out of room in the shed.

Wasn't until yesterday for the trip home until I could fly along on the old roady, and was certainly quicker and requires much less effort, especially as my homeward bound trips are predominantly into a headwind, and always up hill. Effortless 31kph average speed into work this morning. When I first got the 1.2 I commuted on it, but didn't think it would go the distance of a daily grind to work, which led to the purchase of the 8.4 six months later. In the past eighteen months, there has been a lot of road improvements from my side of town with all together better conditions on the whole route, so the slightly less robust 1.2 should now be fine. And faster.

This morning I was very pleased to have guards thanks to we roads, but I do miss the disc brakes.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:04 am

Last night on the way home I had an impatient motorist honking me a few times because I wouldn't get out of his way and he didn't want to wait the 2 seconds as I pushed off from the light and got up to speed (on a downhill). He conveniently ignored the fact that a pedestrian crossed late in front of us and was still crossing (and in the way) as our light turned green. The motorist then changed lanes to overtake me, but would have had to change lanes anyway just up the road as cars were blocking the left hand lane in the Bourke/Queen intersection.
Clearly he thinks I was meant to ride in the bus lane on Queen Street, even though I haven't seen any signs saying that cyclists are allowed to ride in that bus lane and I would have had to merge to pass all the parked taxis.

I got a bit mucky on the ride home with all the gunk being brought up with the rain. At least it wasn't raining when I rode home. This morning was drizzly with a slight headwind but otherwise it was a good ride in.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Another good ride in this morning - enjoyed it. the ride home last night was wonderful as well.
Then the soccer meeting that I went to mrs westab asked me if I was riding :roll: was all she got - to nice to miss out on so I enjoyed that ride as well. To top it off the meetnig finished on time (an hour earlier than I expected) so a longer ride home was required - such a shame.

This morning had the funniest comment - I carry panniers and when I was leaving home I remembered I wanted another tin of milo at work so rather than open the panniers I simply tied it on the top.

Half way to work the first roady caught me; Roady - whats in the milo tin? / Me- Milo! / Roady - Oh I thought it was some special customised, home made gear that commuters carry!

Roady rides off - westab thinks and laughs a little.

Near work next roady caught up to me: Roady no.2 - whats in the milo tin? / Me - an new portable radar that the defence force is getting me to trial, they thought hiding it in a milo tin on a commuters bike would make it draw less attention and still get them the data they require. / Roady no.2 - wow thats great I can't believe that they can make a radar that small. / Me - they can't / Roady no.2 - Oh so what is realy in the tin? / Me - Milo

we both laugh a lot - I exit the shared pathway roady no.2 rides on. Hope he arrives at work as happy as I did. :D :lol: :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Summernight wrote:Clearly he thinks I was meant to ride in the bus lane on Queen Street, even though I haven't seen any signs saying that cyclists are allowed to ride in that bus lane and I would have had to merge to pass all the parked taxis.
I can think of a couple of explanations
1) he could be a tosser who thinks you should get of his way because he is a legend in his own mind
2) he could be from NSW or Qld
Summary of Australian Road Rules for Cyclists wrote:Can I ride in a Bus Lane?
Queensland you can ride in a “bus lane or a “bus only lane” (rule 154)
NSW you can ride in a “bus lane”, but not a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158(2))
Victoria, Tasmania, SA, WA, ACT & NT you are not allowed to ride in a “bus lane” or a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158, WA regs 132 & 136)
Sadly these are not mutually exclusive

Westab, I might start strapping a milo tin to my bike - be a good rumour to perpetuate :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Melburn: 15º, Winds S-SW 5-10kms, Overcast, Footscray to CBD, 7:20am

I had a look outside and there was some heavy clouds shrouding the city. So I packed my gabba jersey. Glad I did. Was a really nice ride this morning, cool and winds were light. I've noticed a lot of riders wearing fluoro jackets (even though we all know fluoro makes no difference in low/no light) now as the weather gets cooler and darker in the mornings.

I was really disappointed that I got to my coffee joint dry only to find out that it was raining while I had my coffee. Bugger. So the last 300m was wet. I was that close.

Then to add to my disappointment, I found my brand new gabba jersey (worn twice and not cheap mind you) already has a hole in it. So it looks like a warranty claim. Double bugger.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Talk about bedlam with extra beds. A fire closed some roads & people entering blocked intersections soon bought the entire Sydney CBD to a standstill. Another win for bike commuting as I managed to get around it. Tosser in a Lexus 4wd decides to change lanes into my side. His excuse "didn't you see my indicator" to which of course I told him an indicator didn't take away his obligation to give way. You might say the conversation deteriorated after he told me to get off the fn road. At least his passenger was suitably embarrassed, looking for somewhere to hide - I suspect it is not the first time dad has had a free and frank character assessment. Sadly my gopro is awaiting a new case & the rear camera didn't get enough to make it worthwhile going to the cops. The lights changed so I rode off, leaving him to stew in the gridlock.

Almost home when another moron decides to left hook me - common spot so I wasn't taken by surprise.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Rode from work to bullcreek station and got the wife to pick me up from there today... Rear wheel had a heck of a wobble going on, checked it and surprise surprise - loose spokes! Booked in for a service on Friday so I'll let the shop sort that out..

Adding spoke tension meter and truing stand to the shopping list...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:39 am

For giggles.I printed a sign and stuck it to my esky on the rear rack. I might post a vid of every pass tonight. Everyone gave me plenty of room and even the usual left hooks hung back and waited for me to pass their exits.

If you haven't worked out what the sign says: SMILE, YOU'RE ON CAMERA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:19 am

Tomca74 wrote:If you haven't worked out what the sign says: SMILE, YOU'RE ON CAMERA
Thought about that. For some that'd be a help, but for those determined few, it'd be a red flag to a bull

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:01 am

Melburn: 15º, Winds S 5kms, Sunny, Footscray to CBD, 7:25am

What a ride this morning, beautiful sunshine, cool, hardly any wind, lots of green lights. These are the kinds of days you love riding.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Shorter route back yesterday afternoon, this may be the order of the day for a bit due to various commitments. Beautiful afternoon.
Chilly (relatively speaking) this morning, particularly along the creeks, but refreshing overall.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Over 9000% humidity in Perth this morning, a couple of light drizzle patches. Very quiet paths. Arrived at work looking freshly dunked, absolutely wringing wet - 90% perspiration, 10% precipitation. Had to get in the shower to dry off.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Lizzy wrote:Over 9000% humidity in Perth this morning, a couple of light drizzle patches. Very quiet paths. Arrived at work looking freshly dunked, absolutely wringing wet - 90% perspiration, 10% precipitation. Had to get in the shower to dry off.

just checked - perth this morning - ~80% humidity
brisbane ~85%. this morning was nice :D

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:55 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Over 9000% humidity in Perth this morning, a couple of light drizzle patches. Very quiet paths. Arrived at work looking freshly dunked, absolutely wringing wet - 90% perspiration, 10% precipitation. Had to get in the shower to dry off.

Here in Perth we are used to 15% humidity- ie arriving at work looking like a bar heater with no sweat and it takes four hours of solid drinking (of water) to rehydrate. Brisbane is 80% humidity on a dry day in summer!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:18 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Here in Perth we are used to 15% humidity- ie arriving at work looking like a bar heater with no sweat and it takes four hours of solid drinking (of water) to rehydrate. Brisbane is 80% humidity on a dry day in summer!
Brisbane has 90% humidity at 6am most mornings.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:35 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Brisbane has 90% humidity at 6am most mornings.
+1
This morning was one of the coolest of this year. (still think yesterday morning was nicer)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:07 am

Summernight wrote:I loved riding past all the banked up traffic this morning - and I think there was more than usual. Grand Prix closing all the through streets, maybe?
I ride down Beach Rd every day, wow the traffic is a lot worse with Albert Park closed, passing hundreds of cars at a time. Why they are so silly as to drive anywhere near the south of town at the moment is beyond me.
Tailwind wrote:No commute on Monday due to Labour Day in Vic,
Tailwind, no work on Monday? Not for some of us, commuted every day this week, Labor Day is not a public holiday when you work for a university. Somewhat ironic given Labor Day commemorates Stone Masons in Victoria becoming the first workers in the world to get an 8 hour day and the campaign involved a strike at said university which was being built at the time.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:14 am

Yesterday arvo left a little late from work and missed the closest PO - Denied. Decided I could try the other as I thought (wrongly) it stayed open a little later - Denied again. On hopping onto the share path saw a bike up ahead. Reeled him in and passed easily - CCR denied (flat bar from down the tree). After leaving him well behind I looked around later to see a bike there. I'd slowed for a couple of peds, near stopped for a little girl struggling to get going on a bike on the right (wrong) side. By that time he'd caught me. I kept my normal pace and he stayed behind, couldn't be bothered dropping him again so he stayed there until I turned off.

This morning: It's Fixie Friday. Great weather, early and easy departure from home, +3 for CCR. I love Fridays.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:03 am

DavidS wrote: Tailwind, no work on Monday? Not for some of us, commuted every day this week, Labor Day is not a public holiday when you work for a university. Somewhat ironic given Labor Day commemorates Stone Masons in Victoria becoming the first workers in the world to get an 8 hour day and the campaign involved a strike at said university which was being built at the time.
DS
Can't say I'm to pleased about being forced to take a day off. As an independent contractor I lose a day's income - my main client is a large financial/professional services corporate and closes shop for all of the public holidays :( .
Pleasant ride back home yesterday, sunny, moderate temps and not too much wind.
Was overtaken by a noisy and smelly scooter on the Darebin Creek Trail near Northland this morning. His rear plate was obscured, otherwise I would have investigated reporting this.
Not sure what the legalities around motorcycles such as trailbikes and scooters are regarding shared paths in this area, my Google-fu is not strong with me this morning.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's Friday today - Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:10 am

Woo! Made it to work on the bike again today. That makes 4 days for my first real week of bike commuting. Hoping i don't have to take the train again for a very long time! :)
Again, was a lovely morning in Bris for a ride, not quite as cool as yesterday morning.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:20 am

Whorl wrote:Woo! Made it to work on the bike again today. That makes 4 days for my first real week of bike commuting. Hoping i don't have to take the train again for a very long time! :)
Again, was a lovely morning in Bris for a ride, not quite as cool as yesterday morning.
well done. we're getting towards the best time of the year

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:58 am

jasonc wrote:
Whorl wrote:Woo! Made it to work on the bike again today. That makes 4 days for my first real week of bike commuting. Hoping i don't have to take the train again for a very long time! :)
well done. we're getting towards the best time of the year
I love riding my bike all year, but it is just glorious to be out in the twilight in March

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Yesterday I was forced to visit St Vincent's hospital (Melbourne) for X-rays followed by a slab on my right forearm. Some stupid cyclist (expletive removed) came hurtling down the exit of the Walmer St bridge (PSP) on MY side of the path, on a fricking blind corner and collided with me. The break is at the wrist end - right near the end of the plate inserted 11 months ago after being hit by a car. Furious!!!

Still waiting to find out whether they'll just put it in a cast or operate to remove the existing plate and insert a longer one.