Specialized Turbo S

Aushiker

Specialized Turbo S

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:47 am

I was browsing Bike Exchange and came across the Specialized Turbo S which is a mean looking option to me at least, but the price is scary at around $7,500 and the word "custom" does bother me a bit.

What are ones thoughts on the Turbo S? Are there other options in a similar ilk?

Andrew

AlanAtom

Re: Specialized Turbo S

Postby AlanAtom » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Lookswise, I find the thick downtube a negative and so is the price, for that that kind of money you could get a scooter. In this traffic congested city of ours, I think electric bikes are the way to go.

geebee

Postby geebee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:55 pm

One of the boys on Endless shpere forum built a similar performance bike for $1500 with of the shelf components, I dislike direct drive hubs as there is always some drag with the motor off varying from a small amount to a lot depending on the motor and controller, regen is next to useless except for saving brake pad wear.
22 kg not in their specs for some reason :), Reef sell a road ebike that weighs 11 kg and costs less than half this, my recumbent trike with electric assist is only just over 16 kg in its current configuration and my dutch style E-bike is only 3 kg heavier and it is built like a tank.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:45 pm

geebee wrote:One of the boys on Endless shpere forum built a similar performance bike for $1500 with of the shelf components,
I went through the process of pricing a kit at ebikes.ca and landed in came in well over $2,000 before GST or duty so I find these low price claims doubtful. That said I found I could get the battery locally and hence avoid the special shipping costs.
Reef sell a road ebike that weighs 11 kg and costs less than half this

Yep their Sora drive train InvisiTRON R1. Lack of detailed specs and photos screams alarm bells for me plus Sora? No thanks also their specification is well below that of the Turbo S. That said the price of the Turbo S is a rather high for my liking. I guess I like the clean lines of the Turbo S which makes the BH Emotion Race or Carbon appealing to me. Each to their own of course.

Andrew

geebee

Postby geebee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:10 pm

The Reef bike was jut as an example on weight and price not a recommendation, and the lower end components can always be swapped out where as the Turbo will still be 22 kg. :)
They get cheaper as you go down the links, the eZee kit ($,1550) would be a lot nicer to pedal with the motor off and I would from experience and reviews expect it to kick the turbo's arse off the lights or up hill and the steeper the hill the quicker the eZee would pull away, I had a chance to ride the Turbo but was ill on the day and as I currently need a lot of assist due to health reasons plus there being lots of steep hills I dismissed the turbo on the basis of having ridden much more powerful direct drive hubs, I am sure it would be a nice ride and somewhere it could be used unrestricted even more so but $7,500?
A BMS 12 ah battery and a 500w motor fitted in 26" wheel with all the needed extras and including shipping would be under $600 and I did not pick the cheapest motor, if you can build your own wheel shipping plummets as the wheel size makes it much more expensive to ship.
The EM3ev have a great reputation and the MAC motor is very similar to the eZee motor.
And if you want minimum weight and high output and are aware of the saftey issues of LiPo4 batteries you can build a very powerful battery cheap from hobbyking.com but do not consider them unless you are sure of what you are doing.

http://glowwormbicycles.com.au/store/ez ... ersion-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://em3ev.com/store/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bmsbattery.com/103-36v?p=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:31 am

Andrew

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:02 am

They have one of these at my LBS - Wembley Cycles in Perth for those playing at home - and its a lot of fun. I took it for a ride after slagging off ebikes to one of the staff. No way it's worth the price tag though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am

I passed someone on the Kwinana PSP this morning around cockburn (me heading north, them heading south) who was on an e-bike with a colour scheme that looked remarkably like the red/white spesh colours.. I didn't get a good look at it, but it certainly piqued my curiosity..

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Pravda wrote:They have one of these at my LBS - Wembley Cycles in Perth for those playing at home - and its a lot of fun. I took it for a ride after slagging off ebikes to one of the staff. No way it's worth the price tag though.
Heard they had one ... $7,499 hurts for sure.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Pravda wrote:They have one of these at my LBS - Wembley Cycles in Perth for those playing at home - and its a lot of fun. I took it for a ride after slagging off ebikes to one of the staff. No way it's worth the price tag though.
Here they had one ... $7,499 hurts for sure.

Andrew
Yup, that's 2 very good bikes you could buy for the same price.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:50 pm

Pravda wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Here they had one ... $7,499 hurts for sure.

Andrew
Yup, that's 2 very good bikes you could buy for the same price.
Yep even in the e-Bike world a BH Emotion Neo Carbon is can be had for around the $3,500 mark. Maybe not as good a spec but still a nice bike by all accounts.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:32 am

Now if we could get one of these here ...

It is a Haibike Xduro Superrace and Chris has the specifications listed here.

Andrew

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:14 pm

The reef is an own badged bike from Annad in china only down speced from the original 105. It uses Keyde motor and battery technology with the battery in the down tube (removable with a bit of fiddling). Switched on Cycles in Canberra (http://www.switchedoncycles.com.au/products.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) have one of the original Annad roadbikes available for test. Retrofitting with the Keyde kit will probably be better value, but these are systems for riders that want occasional assist, not high torque dive systems.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:29 pm

Specialized are expanding the range

Specialized has introduced two 25 km/h e-bike with similar styling like the Turbo. Including the previously introduced Turbo S, Specialized's e-bike range now includes three models.
Direct drive rear hub motor

The Turbo 25 and the Turbo 25 X feature a similar direct drive rear hub motor, with 200 Watt nominal and 800 Watt peak power as well as 468 Wh capacity batteries. As the name suggests they will assist the rider to the top speed of 25km/h.

The Model X is equipped with the new RockShox Paragon suspension fork with 50mm of travel and remote lockout. The Paragon is the new urban/trekking fork with Solo Air spring and provides a clean integration with lights, cables, dynamos and fenders.
Cycling is in my BNA