Mt Coot-tha training

Lukeyboy

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 pm

I'm sure I am haha :P I just find Coottha brain dead boring so I never venture up there or I find myself admiring the quarry/getting distracted. I by far prefer the longer climbs such as Nebo, Glorious, Mt Mee, Maleny, Montville, Tamborine etc. The ones that put a smile on your face, want to grab a few piccies and want you to return time and time again :) Like heading to the lookout on Mt Mee. It's got a pretty good view to the left and then all the tress and houses get in the way but as soon as you hit that crest at the top bam! Bloody fantastic view overlooking all the way to the ocean. Just breath taking especially early in the morning.

Easy to see why Coottha looks braindead boring to me :P

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:04 pm

If you want another good view up there turn left down Sellin rd before you get to the radio towers. Just after the dairy there is a house on your left that has a few of the whole samford valley. Magnificent.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am

Ryanhyltoncummins wrote:
    Off topic but back on topic I managed a 8:56 up the front last week, I was curious how this stacks up?

https://www.strava.com/activities/117915364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't really know any local names or riders
    JUST shy of my best time (which I'm currently nowhere near) - it's a good time. nowhere near geoff.

Not a good morning for me on the mountain.
    watch a bloke go for a slip and slide coming down the mountain this morning. He stop just short of a truck coming the other way. So I stopped to make sure he was ok
    on the second trip up, a bloke (nickname "wazza") lost his co2 cannister and was breaking so hard he couldn't hear me (think steam train). So I had to stop and pick that up. Gave up after that.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:00 am

Lukeyboy wrote:

Amazing scenery but something strange seems to have happened to your bike, it's grown knobblies and funny handlebars.

The thing about Coot Tha is it is amazingly convenient to do a quick climb there before work. Unless you live in your part of town I suppose.

Was lovely up there this morning, and I was feeling good for a change. Under 8:30 for the first time since before Christmas, thenmy best time for a lap. Stoked.
    Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:39 am

Don't see how you can find Cootha boring Luke, but I definitely concur with your northside statement. It's such a pain in the arse to get to from the northside when other climbs are closer.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:18 pm

jasonc wrote:
    Ryanhyltoncummins wrote:
      Off topic but back on topic I managed a 8:56 up the front last week, I was curious how this stacks up?

https://www.strava.com/activities/117915364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JUST shy of my best time (which I'm currently nowhere near) - it's a good time. nowhere near geoff.
      It's about a minute faster than me Jase - The Front, not the Back. Looks like a good time to me Ryan, 125 overall seems pretty damn respectable. Now I want to have a crack at it!
      Veloviewer

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:42 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
      jasonc wrote:
      Ryanhyltoncummins wrote:

It's about a minute faster than me Jase - The Front, not the Back. Looks like a good time to me Ryan, 125 overall seems pretty damn respectable. Now I want to have a crack at it!
        oh - the front. my apologies
        that's quicker than me also. wasn't much of anything left in the tank for that time by memory either.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:42 pm

thanks guys, i can be on the road and climbing cootha within 30 minutes of leaving home so i've got it pretty good. That was about as close to 100% effort as I think is possible for me (so far anyways)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:18 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
        Lukeyboy wrote:

Amazing scenery but something strange seems to have happened to your bike, it's grown knobblies and funny handlebars.
        There was some dirt trails not too far away that I thought about hitting up :P I might have to try and organise a BNA group ride out there. Make the depart time the same time as the train or something if some want to train it to the start.

Rxticle

Postby Rxticle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'm sure I am haha :P I just find Coottha brain dead boring so I never venture up there or I find myself admiring the quarry/getting distracted. I by far prefer the longer climbs such as Nebo, Glorious, Mt Mee, Maleny, Montville, Tamborine etc. The ones that put a smile on your face, want to grab a few piccies and want you to return time and time again :) Like heading to the lookout on Mt Mee. It's got a pretty good view to the left and then all the tress and houses get in the way but as soon as you hit that crest at the top bam! Bloody fantastic view overlooking all the way to the ocean. Just breath taking especially early in the morning.

Absolutely gorgeous compared to Coot-tha.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 am

gave it a crack this morning - 9:30. still off my best but pretty happy with that. A good base to build from. Now my top 10 times are all sub 10 minutes

singlespeedscott

Mt Coot-tha training

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Nice one Jason. Especially considering how muggy it was this morning. One day I'll have to make the effort to ride in and give it a go.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:32 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Nice one Jason. Especially considering how muggy it was this morning. One day I'll have to make the effort to ride in and give it a go.
        I took my cousin up there this morning (he's from interstate), and if his garmin didn't fail I'd say he'd be either very close or better than my PB on first attempt. :(

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 pm

jasonc wrote:gave it a crack this morning - 9:30. still off my best but pretty happy with that. A good base to build from. Now my top 10 times are all sub 10 minutes
        Well done mate. I didn't get up there today, after spending most of Monday oiling the outdoor table and chairs, my hamstrings seized up something chronic. Rode yesterday (and will ride tomorrow) but thought the climb might not be a good idea. Thank goodness I've got massage tomorrow afternoon!
        Veloviewer

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 am

talked to a bloke yesterday morning riding up coot-tha on a city-cycle. he was training for the coot-tha challenge

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:53 am

jasonc wrote:talked to a bloke yesterday morning riding up coot-tha on a city-cycle. he was training for the coot-tha challenge
        How was he going?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
        jasonc wrote:talked to a bloke yesterday morning riding up coot-tha on a city-cycle. he was training for the coot-tha challenge
        How was he going?
        slower than me. I think he may have been the only cyclist I overtook yesterday
        he was doing ok

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:35 pm

I passed him as well..I told him he was keen and asked if he had lost a bet...
        “Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:23 pm

cancan64 wrote:I passed him as well..
        That means you probably passed me too

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:42 pm

jasonc wrote:That means you probably passed me too
        I passed him early on in the climb. I think he was the first or third person that I passed....I said morning to everyone that I went past (or mumbled something in between breathing)
        On the way down I wasted some time at the lookout, stopped for a photo (Instagram didnt work) and fill up water bottles (tap wasnt working)...then continued down to the T intersection and then rode the front way and I didn't see him again....I did pass a couple walking 3 times (lge islander guy and girl)
        “Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:56 pm

cancan64 wrote:I did pass a couple walking 3 times (lge islander guy and girl)
        Did you see the girl in the pink "top"? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I use the word top loosely

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:00 pm

jasonc wrote:Did you see the girl in the pink "top"?
        Just made a note to check the video camera tonight..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:01 pm

She was travelling clockwise if that helps. Pm me a youtube link

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Tapatalk

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 am

hurt box this morning. 100% with an 11-25 on the back. held onto the 23 as long as I could. 9:26 meh

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:49 pm

What's wrong with that? Pushing a big gear doesn't always guarantee a faster time though. I would have thought Coot-tha would be best done with a 39x26/27?