Gretaboy’s recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gretaboy

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:41 pm

You asked for more walking footage...you got it :D The following footage is of my latest 6 minute walk test and it is pretty boring until the 1:50 mark. Sorry for the footage, it was a sunny day

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:49 pm

determined bugger

Daus

Postby Daus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:31 pm

You sure have made a lot of progress- you are so determined. What about some helmet cam footage from the bent?
Best of luck with your future progress, we keep checking your thread and your progress is very heartening- Don

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:44 pm

Amazing! I watched all 6 mins.... Well done! What progress!!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:21 pm

Bloody hell that's impressive. I've watched all the vids of earlier efforts and thought you were doing a splendid job when you had the frame, but kow I'm blown away. When I had my knees done - trifling keyhole surgery to remove a couple of flappy bits of cartlidge - I wasn't walking at this speed 3 months after the surgery and am not walking ago that speed now 6 months after, so this blows be away. No wonder they give you weekend passes - they are probably worried you would do a runner if they didnt and they might not catch you up!!

Keep up the good work.

New tshirt idea: half man half tough old boot :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 am

Being here at rehab has shown me that I have been extremely lucky, people with the same vertebrae fractures as me are quadraplegics.

I place all credit for my leg movement to my wife. I had no movement what so ever in my leg until she massaged both, she was also moving my right leg when in ICU and the spinal clinic when it was dead. After the wife massaged my legs the first time the next morning I had movement from two toes, shen then massaged both on the next 4-5 days. Without this support and help there is no way I would be where I am in my recovery.

and then there is LUCK...I have been extremely lucky in everything

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 am

Well done - it's great to see you walking like that.

The difference between when I first met you to now is incredible. :)

snortin

Postby snortin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:39 am

gretaboy wrote:Being here at rehab has shown me that I have been extremely lucky, people with the same vertebrae fractures as me are quadraplegics.

I place all credit for my leg movement to my wife. I had no movement what so ever in my leg until she massaged both, she was also moving my right leg when in ICU and the spinal clinic when it was dead. After the wife massaged my legs the first time the next morning I had movement from two toes, shen then massaged both on the next 4-5 days. Without this support and help there is no way I would be where I am in my recovery.

you have indeed been fortunate but to be able to have the willpower to push like you are is no small feat. i have seen 2 close friends in the same rehab unit after neck fractures from football (collapsed scrum and tackle). Both made full recoveries, and i have no doubt that some part was due to their fitness level prior to the accident.

i am not too far from you, so will drop in and say hi when i am back from a triathlon in QLD (back next week). when i am struggling on the bike pushing into the wind i will just picture you in that video.....

westab

Postby westab » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:50 am

gretaboy wrote:Being here at rehab has shown me that I have been extremely lucky, people with the same vertebrae fractures as me are quadraplegics.

Mate Mrs Gretaboy is just wonderful - good on her for doing this. together I am sure there is little you can't achieve.

One other thing get her to document what she did for you and then tell any medico who will listen (neuro, phiso, nurse or if they won't listen find a medical student who may) - it may just be another link in the chain of reducing the effect of spinal cord trauma.

Then we will need another Tee shirt - Landcruiser 0 / Gretaboy 1 / Society 50,000

Great to see you walking.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:05 pm

That steely look of grit and determination - awesome. GB you just keep kicking goals. Enjoy the leave pass :D

kw_broadens

Postby kw_broadens » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:21 pm

gretaboy wrote:In my first week at rehab i did a 6 minute walk test. Someone my age should be able to walk at least 800 metres in that time
Good grief, I have trouble walking 1 km in under 10 minutes! I've been going for a 4 km walk most mornings and my best pace has been 9:15 mins/km.

Keep it up!

Ken.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:37 am

Here's some other footage of Gretaboy I found :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Boognoss wrote:Here's some other footage of Gretaboy I found :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jeez Boognoss gretaboy's ego is big enough already, he is the four million dollar man at best :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

AndySmith

Postby AndySmith » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:17 am

Solid work Stu - I must admit that I am very impressed by your recovery and efforts with rehab. We can all put in the effort when things are going well - but you have had to put in the hard yards when things have not been going as well. Glad to see that you are reaping the rewards - and are well on your way to recovery . Good work :-) Andy

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:10 am

Got out for a other ride this morning and it was good to see bigfriendlyvegan again. We tested the silver water bridge for trike access and it was all good, now some future rides will have us crossing over to the other side.

saw a recumbent trike and a two wheel recumbent during our morning constitutional also which was good.

we have started the process of trying to get my own recumbent as part of my rehab...paper work of trying to justify the need is all that stands in our way

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:38 am

Stu, if you're using Silverwater Bridge, please use the far side (i.e. the Parrmatta side) rather than the Homebush side. You won't be able to easily fit a trike going one way and bikes coming the other, and the Homebush side is the busy side. It's not hard to get onto the far side, just go under the bridge and follow the paths to it.

Nice to see you as well, BTW. Weird deja vu moment since it was in exactly the same spot I saw you last time.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:12 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Stu, if you're using Silverwater Bridge, please use the far side (i.e. the Parrmatta side) rather than the Homebush side. You won't be able to easily fit a trike going one way and bikes coming the other, and the Homebush side is the busy side. It's not hard to get onto the far side, just go under the bridge and follow the paths to it.
Did both sides of the bridge today and it was a tight squeeze either side, encountered oncoming bikes both sides also...we were all nice to each other, but will keep in mind what you have said

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I am pumped...I just rode a two wheel road bike, and didnt crash. Had staff and mrs gretaboy running next to me the whole time but I did it. Got photos to prove it too.

distance wasnt huge but that wasnt the point.. I rode

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Awesome. You are doing great.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 pm

very cool :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 pm

So, do you want to borrow my rollers?

Actually, I have a spare fluid trainer I can lend you. Let me know if you'd like it.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:49 pm

Nice one gretaboy, fantastic work!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:10 pm

gretaboy wrote:I am pumped...I just rode a two wheel road bike, and didnt crash. Had staff and mrs gretaboy running next to me the whole time but I did it. Got photos to prove it too.

distance wasnt huge but that wasnt the point.. I rode
Awe. Nothing less.

You are a true inspiration Gretaboy.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Yeah!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Well I don't know about the rest of you but I think that development is worthy of a "mintox"!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle