"I wish I hadn't sold that bike"

drubie

Re: "I wish I hadn't sold that bike"

Postby drubie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:15 am

My blach shogun that I put 10 speed campag and fulcrum 7 wheels on. Dunno why exactly it was such a great feeling bike to ride despite being a bottom of the range frame. Just so damn stable I think. Sold it to another club member in town so maybe I'll get it back.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:56 am

drubie wrote:My blach shogun that I put 10 speed campag and fulcrum 7 wheels on. Dunno why exactly it was such a great feeling bike to ride despite being a bottom of the range frame. Just so damn stable I think. Sold it to another club member in town so maybe I'll get it back.
If you continually pull the right sad face, you may wear him/her down. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

xx68

Re:

Postby xx68 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:03 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:I agree about the fit thing.
The only bike I regret selling is a Giant Cadex Carbon MTB. Do you remember the yellow and black ones? It fitted me well and rolled beautifully! It was a perfect commuter back in the days I lived in Richmond and worked at Tullamarine. Gee, I loved that bike!
Andrew

I have one of those .....bought it new . Its a lovely bike

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:43 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Lots of steel bikes wrote:[quote="TTar
Like this.
:lol: He makes those wheels look like 24" cruiser wheels
That looks like Dirk Nowitzki (NBA player).

I regret not having enough room for all my bikes. Having only space for 2 means there is serious rationalisation. At one point I was tossing up selling the missuses bike so I could have one more... selfish, I know.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Calvin27 wrote:At one point I was tossing up selling the missuses bike so I could have one more... selfish, I know.
Not if its gathering dust and she promises to spit'n'polish all three bikes weekly :wink:

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:26 pm

What about "I wish I had bought that bike"..... have a few of those....namely a nice colnago

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Heh. For me its a shed half full of stuff I truly wished I had not brought home. Gas pipe repco *shudder*

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Not one of mine, but when I was a kid in the 1960s my Dad had a Malvern Star (no
idea what year or model, but sometime in the 1950s is my guess.) which was lovely.

It had derailleur gears and ran 'singles' on tiny 27" x ¾" alloy rims and center-pull
brakes (Weinemann, from memory). It was very light and fast(for its time) and I
was always the envy of my friends on the rare occasions when I was allowed to
ride it. It was painted a similar colour to HQ Holden 'Vermillion' and had, I think
chrome lower fork legs.

It spent most of its time hanging on display on the wall of the showroom of the LBS
we owned through the 1960s and 1970s (it was, literally, in showroom condition)
and I seem to recall it was sold with the business, but could be wrong.

It could, possibly, have been a Melbourne Olympics-related bike (a limited-edition
or similar). It had definitely been used in competition at some stage, and was no
'gas-pipe BSO' by anyone's definition.

One thing I do know, is that I do so wish I had it now!!!
Last edited by The Fixer on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:35 pm

In my late teens / early 20's, I found a colnago in the back shed of a house I had just rented in rural central Queensland. It had air in the tyres, so I decided to ride it 15-20km each way to work and back. got about 10km home and popped both tyres. I walked it for a while, got bored with that, and it was getting dark, so I hid it behind some trees. I never found it again. So "I wish I hadn't hidden that bike in the scrub at night"..

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:13 pm

t-rav wrote:What about "I wish I had bought that bike"..... have a few of those....namely a nice colnago
Someone was selling a nice colnago disc roadie the last week or so... That fit my bill of something I should have bought.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

spirito

Postby spirito » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:50 pm

There should be a "I wish I didn't spend all my money on that bike" thread to offset this one :lol:
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:27 pm

My R3 :(

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:47 pm

TTar wrote:
LugNut wrote:The one thing I do regret to this day is not buying this Nishiki that was listed on the marketplace here in June 2012... the odd size (62cm seat tube and 56cm T-T) would have fitted me perfectly, and probably nobody else! I still re visit the post from time to time, and contacted the seller about 6 months after the listing, but he told me that it was long gone. :cry:
Is that a production model Nishiki? It's one wacky frame that one; an upwards sloping top tube... towards the rear! A head tube length that beggars belief (where do you find a fork/headset to suit?). Look how low the bottle cage is, your arms would have to be longer than your legs to reach that and you'd have to be a contortionist to ride with your hands on the bottom of the drops. Only the chain stays and forks look "right".
I still have this frame (all parts stripped), is it the same size or slightly smaller? No fork I'm afraid (most should be familiar with that saga), but if you're keen let me know.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Nice colour. Absolutely tempted, I really like Olympic 12s. I've already found a good alternative, and the only thing that could make a better one is a frame with canti mounts. I'd braze some on, but can't afford brazing + a respray + etc...
Thanks though!

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed May 07, 2014 9:01 pm

LugNut wrote:I once cancelled an eBay listing for my Ricardo Elite after a particularly enjoyable ride. :lol: Gone now, I still see it from time to time chained up outside a share house in Carlton. Not too fussed about it.

The one thing I do regret to this day is not buying this Nishiki that was listed on the marketplace here in June 2012...
IMG_0802 by assman 1, on Flickr
Funny little turn of events, original seller remembered that I had expressed interest in the bike and contacted me to let me know that the new owner was looking to move it on.
So I got it, 2 years later. 8)

munga

Postby munga » Wed May 07, 2014 10:18 pm

rad.

bennett

Postby bennett » Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 pm

LugNut wrote:
LugNut wrote:I once cancelled an eBay listing for my Ricardo Elite after a particularly enjoyable ride. :lol: Gone now, I still see it from time to time chained up outside a share house in Carlton. Not too fussed about it.

The one thing I do regret to this day is not buying this Nishiki that was listed on the marketplace here in June 2012...
IMG_0802 by assman 1, on Flickr
Funny little turn of events, original seller remembered that I had expressed interest in the bike and contacted me to let me know that the new owner was looking to move it on.
So I got it, 2 years later. 8)

Nice one! Glad you worked it out!