When is close too close?

Krellon

When is close too close?

Postby Krellon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:12 am

Hi,

I wondered what your thoughts were on acceptable vehicle passes and when is close too close.

I had a few in the past on my commutes which I thought were maybe a little too close. Especially considering the speed they were doing.

Here is a link to some of those passes. What do you think?

http://youtu.be/77-5-IPF-jk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Br
Life is Full of Surprises
https://www.youtube.com/user/krellon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trailgumby

Re: When is close too close?

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:34 am

Most if not all of those were culpably dangerous. You need to ride either fully on the shoulder or take control of the lane.

Drivers are notoriously poor at judging gap distances and you need to help them by removing ambiguity.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:51 am

Whenever your reaction is 'whoa, that was close' it's too close.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:51 am

Can you tell us where abouts these videos were recorded?

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:34 pm

In my opinion there are far too many drivers who don't know where the left hand side of their car is to be able to judge safe passing distance.

Another example of this is two way unmarked roads. Without a centre line to guide them, many drivers will drive down the middle of the road. This forces oncoming drivers to scrape the kerb of move off the road to avoid them.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:16 pm

R12RT wrote:In my opinion there are far too many drivers who don't know where the left hand side of their car is to be able to judge safe passing distance.

Another example of this is two way unmarked roads. Without a centre line to guide them, many drivers will drive down the middle of the road. This forces oncoming drivers to scrape the kerb of move off the road to avoid them.
I think it's too easy to get and keep a drivers licence when the results of getting it wrong can be the death of another. We as a community are far to tolerant of poor driving and poor driving atitudes.

Krellon

Postby Krellon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:Most if not all of those were culpably dangerous. You need to ride either fully on the shoulder or take control of the lane.

Drivers are notoriously poor at judging gap distances and you need to help them by removing ambiguity.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
I do try and ride too the conditions. On busy roads I get nervous at some of the speeds cars do and move over to give them more room. Most observe and pass safely but the odd crazies don't care and deliberately drive as close as they can to scare you. Normally the anti cyclist type.

Br
https://www.youtube.com/user/krellon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Krellon

Postby Krellon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:47 pm

thecaptn wrote:Can you tell us where abouts these videos were recorded?
Hello Captain,

This is in the UK. Southern part. I posted to a couple of none UK forums to gauge global opinion. The roads in the UK suck and although the government rant on about how pro cyclist they are I really don't think there doing anough.
Br

Krellon

Postby Krellon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 pm

R12RT wrote:In my opinion there are far too many drivers who don't know where the left hand side of their car is to be able to judge safe passing distance.

I agree and I see all too often that it's not the cyclist put in danger but the oncoming traffic.

Br

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:57 pm

thecaptn wrote:Can you tell us where abouts these videos were recorded?
I believe he is UK based.

Krellon

Postby Krellon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:09 am

Hi,

Today I rode further out from the curb as posters suggested.
For the best part the drivers did give me a wider birth but I sensed there frustration with speed and revs.
One actually took a very silly risk in a overtake into a blind bend on a hill.

http://youtu.be/2sa1r0e2-68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the risky overtake maneuvers drivers take the further out we ride.
We become safer but oncoming traffic is put in more danger.
Looks like we can't win.

Br

mick243

Postby mick243 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 am

But in both cases, it's the following driver causing danger, so do what keeps you safer and let the driver be his own problem.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:39 am

Like above, too close is when I feel uncomfortable with the pass. At a faster speed the same pass distance might still feel too close.

I take the lane where required, but realis that I am much slower than motorised traffic and do my bit to keep to wide shoulders etc if there is enough space me. The more I have ridden, the more I realise that leaving space for a car will be treated as an opportunity to pass, when I really want to control when the vehicles pass as best I can. Often that means getting right out wide
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Krellon

Postby Krellon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:35 am

bychosis wrote:Like above, too close is when I feel uncomfortable with the pass. At a faster speed the same pass distance might still feel too close.

I take the lane where required, but realis that I am much slower than motorised traffic and do my bit to keep to wide shoulders etc if there is enough space me. The more I have ridden, the more I realise that leaving space for a car will be treated as an opportunity to pass, when I really want to control when the vehicles pass as best I can. Often that means getting right out wide
"leaving space for a car will be treated as an opportunity to pass" Yes, today I rode further out and less people tried too squeeze through though they were more agitated because they couldn't get through.

Br

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:13 am

^^ That's because they are retarded... they wouldn't run their grandmother off the road, and they wouldn't let someone else run their grandmother off the road, so part of growing a pair involves getting around them in a safe manner. Moving across is all well and fine, but there are a million times when this isn't appropriate, it's not a God given right, and often a car user can simply pull into the other lane and overtake. You know... they might have to drive the car. :shock:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 am

Unfortunately its a balancing act between getting out wide (in the way) and staying out of harm.

Cyclist rammed from behind - webcam footage

I still tend towards getting out wide and now have a few sections of my regular riding where I conserve some energy beforehand and get out wide and go for it. At least then I look like I'm putting in some effort for those motorists that think I'm just out to spoil their drive.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Blackrock

Postby Blackrock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Here's one I had last week. I was riding close to the edge and it is a narrow bridge. I was semi-ok with the truck passing mearby, but wasn't expecting the trailer and it could have caught me out.
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

http://www.merida.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:26 pm

:shock: That was bad. What was that, 10cm? Should put it in the moron motorists thread...

Hugh Stone old

Postby Hugh Stone old » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:46 pm

That couldn't have been much closer! Was that Prospect Hwy? Scary patch either direction there.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Blackrock wrote:Here's one I had last week. I was riding close to the edge and it is a narrow bridge. I was semi-ok with the truck passing mearby, but wasn't expecting the trailer and it could have caught me out.
Come April 7 in Qld, that pass will cost the driver $330 and 3 demerit points. Repeat offences will cost him his license and thus his job.

I think this is going to make a few of these guys change their thinking. At least I hope so.

Blackrock

Postby Blackrock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:42 am

Hugh Stone wrote:That couldn't have been much closer! Was that Prospect Hwy? Scary patch either direction there.
Yeah it was the overpass of the Great Western Highway, heading towards the M4 roundabout. Many close calls all along that stretch....
They're building a cycle path on the other side, but with two pedestrian crossings I'm undecided if I'll use it. Then again, it might save my life!!
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

http://www.merida.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:18 am

Why don't they put a ramp up on to the footpath and make it a shared zone, or does that make too much sense?
No signature

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:30 am

thecaptn wrote: I think it's too easy to get and keep a drivers licence when the results of getting it wrong can be the death of another. We as a community are far too tolerant of poor driving and poor driving atitudes.
+HEAPS. Enough is enough.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:50 pm

I get this all the time and it baffles me. The roads I commute on are wide enough to allow me to hug the kerb, and a full sized vehicle like a Toyota Landcruiser or a delivery van can hug the white lane line and overtake me safely without having to cross into the second lane. I don't slow down traffic and I also don't worry about getting smooshed. Easy right?
Then why is it that Joe Moron can watch me being safely overtaken by the cars in front of them, but when it's their turn to drive their city hatchback past me, they suddenly think they have no room to do so?!?!? They then back up traffic behind them, probably swearing all the while at the "dumb cyclist hogging the road".

I guess if you want evidence of how poor many drivers are at knowing where their corners of their car are, watch your average suburban shopping centre carpark as people do 5 point turns, when their bumper is still over a metre away from the parked cars :roll:
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:59 pm

I think it's too easy to get and keep a drivers licence when the results of getting it wrong can be the death of another. We as a community are far to tolerant of poor driving and poor driving atitudes.
Some of the stories you hear about exceptional licenses being granted to repeat offenders who then go on to kill/hospitalise someone just boggle the mind
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!