BNA Losers Club 2014

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
bosvit

Re: BNA Losers Club 2014

Postby bosvit » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:22 am

Starting weight 89kg 1/1/14

Goal 79kg

Fat arse Friday weigh in

28/2/14 86.5kg
7/3/14 85.6kg.... Don't look and feel like I have lost that much, will make next week tough!

kb

BNA Losers Club 2014

Postby kb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:15 am

74kg this morning (= -2kg / 4wks). Pretty happy as I've a fair bit of uphill on Sunday.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:29 am

Still going down so that's good.

15/02/14 122.3kgs
22/02/14 120.2kgs
01/03/14 119.8kgs
08/03/14 119.2kgs

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Still going down so that's good.

15/02/14 122.3kgs
22/02/14 120.2kgs
01/03/14 119.8kgs
08/03/14 119.2kgs
Doing very well for a Muggle...

Mbike23

Postby Mbike23 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Was going well down to 102kg at the start of last week from 109 kg at the star of the year. But the doctor has me on these tables that have to be taken with fat to work properly. So the altered diet has added kilo in 4 days.
Not happy Jan. :x
I've a bit of physical work this week so hopefully that will burn the extra off.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Mbike23 wrote:Was going well down to 102kg at the start of last week from 109 kg at the star of the year. But the doctor has me on these tables that have to be taken with fat to work properly. So the altered diet has added kilo in 4 days.
Not happy Jan. :x
I've a bit of physical work this week so hopefully that will burn the extra off.
Poo. When you say "with fat", does that mean with a big glass of full cream milk or do they need to be wrapped in lard to enable them to slide down? Sorry - don't mean to sound dumb but I've not heard of that before, but have previously been told to take some tablets with milk as it lines the stomach.

Mbike23

Postby Mbike23 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Full cream milk was suggested but I'm no loner tolerant of milk. So I've resorted to peanut butter on toast for the fat. Apparently this tablet needs the fat to work best, not to line the stomach. The actual tablet is small and easy to take. I've never heard of this before either and was a bit of a surprise.
Oh we'll just have to ride more best excuse at the moment. :)

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 pm

17/02/2014 - 91.2kg.
24/02/2014 - 90.2 kg
3/03/2014 - 89.9kg
10/03/2014 - 89.9kg

No weight loss, but given I hyperextended my elbow on Monday playing mixed netball and did no exercise for the week I am happy enough.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:57 am

Mbike23 wrote:Full cream milk was suggested but I'm no loner tolerant of milk. So I've resorted to peanut butter on toast for the fat. Apparently this tablet needs the fat to work best, not to line the stomach. The actual tablet is small and easy to take. I've never heard of this before either and was a bit of a surprise.
Oh we'll just have to ride more best excuse at the moment. :)
Interesting. Personally, I'd be chucking the peanut butter into an almond milk smoothie with some chia a d cacao powder (and maybe even some spinach). I do avoid wheat tho. Anyway, there may be some other options for your fat intake if you can't find the food/exercise balance :)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:41 am

2000 80kg 34yo
2010 89kg 44yo too lazy and eating too much crap - bought a bike and started riding to work
2012 78kg 46yo this was the lowest weight I've seen in many years. Was cycling a fair bit and feeling fine
2013 85kg 47yo got a bit busy at work and found it harder to find time to ride, also started eating too much crap again and too much beer

this year I'm watching my diet and riding more. Feeling better already. I would really like to get down to 75kg but will take my time.

12/03/2014 82.5kg

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:08 am

DaveOZ wrote:2000 80kg 34yo
2010 89kg 44yo too lazy and eating too much crap - bought a bike and started riding to work
2012 78kg 46yo this was the lowest weight I've seen in many years. Was cycling a fair bit and feeling fine
2013 85kg 47yo got a bit busy at work and found it harder to find time to ride, also started eating too much crap again and too much beer

this year I'm watching my diet and riding more. Feeling better already. I would really like to get down to 75kg but will take my time.

12/03/2014 82.5kg
Kind of makes me feel better...took me a long time to gain 20 kgs, like nearly 35 years.

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Been building up my km's after a couple of years not riding and considerable weight gain.

29/1/14 140.3kg
17/2/14 138.4kg 88km
13/3/14 137.7kg 218km (cumulative)

Long way to go. Still eating too much.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:17 pm

fishwop wrote:Been building up my km's after a couple of years not riding and considerable weight gain.

29/1/14 140.3kg
17/2/14 138.4kg 88km

Good luck fish

We all have to start somewhere and its really hard to completely reduce your food intake instantly.

Just keep that weight dropping slowly and that alone will help to encourage you to reduce your food intake, I know the problem well :wink:

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:52 pm

fishwop wrote:Been building up my km's after a couple of years not riding and considerable weight gain.

29/1/14 140.3kg
17/2/14 138.4kg 88km

Don't worry too much...We are still doing way more physical work than most fatties do.

I have actually been surprised by the group I go to a fitness class with. I think half of them would struggle to move a trailer load of mulch to the backyard let alone ride a bike for a half hour.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Starting weight 89kg 1/1/14

Goal 79kg

Fat arse Friday weigh in

28/2/14 86.5kg
7/3/14 85.6kg
14/3/14 85.0kg

Dr_Mutley

BNA Losers Club 2014

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:14 am

Just a left of centre thought... Don't flame me for the suggestion but....

For some of the larger fellas, who need some extra support with binge eating, or eating to excess due to psychological factors, have u thought about joking an addiction help group? Being unable to say no to food, is, in its basic form, a form of addiction. Acknowledging that, accepting that, and modifying your behaviour is one of the firsts steps in ultimate behaviour modification. Getting added support from other addiction sufferers is a powerful way of staying true to yourself, and to your goals, and limiting the amount of "relapses" one has... It's ultimately one of the hardest addictions to modify because, unlike alcohol and drugs, u can't simply abstain from your vice altogether, because, obviously one must continue to eat...

Just a suggestion to think about...

(PS: commenced at 115kgs 4years ago, now 82kg, stuck trying to get to 75! Still battling occasional binge eating due to my food addiction... Aarrrggghhh)

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:12 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:Just a left of centre thought... Don't flame me for the suggestion but....

For some of the larger fellas, who need some extra support with binge eating, or eating to excess due to psychological factors, have u thought about joking an addiction help group? Being unable to say no to food, is, in its basic form, a form of addiction. Acknowledging that, accepting that, and modifying your behaviour is one of the firsts steps in ultimate behaviour modification. Getting added support from other addiction sufferers is a powerful way of staying true to yourself, and to your goals, and limiting the amount of "relapses" one has... It's ultimately one of the hardest addictions to modify because, unlike alcohol and drugs, u can't simply abstain from your vice altogether, because, obviously one must continue to eat...

(PS: commenced at 115kgs 4years ago, now 82kg, stuck trying to get to 75! Still battling occasional binge eating due to my food addiction... Aarrrggghhh)
Interesting ideas and I hope this is not a flaming response. However there is an assumption underlying this which may not always be correct...that is excess weight is added by consuming more than required of food. I know this is not always the case. Interesting enough I am 'obese' in the technical sense and practical sense as my waist is larger than it should be and if I do exercise and reduce my food intake I do loose weight no great surprise. However consider the following:

- My wife is 80 kgs - she eats more than I do every single day yet does not put weight on
- I am twice the width of my wife in just shoulders not belly
- I can pick my wife up anytime I want to, throw her over my shoulder and climb our stairs a few times without stopping for breath
- When in a mood it is not unusual for me to remove a car engine from the motor vehicle by picking it up and lifting it out - did I say when annoyed
- At Fatness for Fitties we got to attend an 8 week diet lesson thing before we started the exercise classes. I was absolutely amazed at the assumptions being thrust at me and worse the diets of the others in the group for example it was common to hear comments like my wife buys packets of lollies and I eat them all in one sitting ...every day; we eat fish and chips every night, etc, etc, etc
- On our last overseas trip on a tour we went to a KFC as the normal lunch place was closed for some religious holiday. There was a chap in the group who looked to have a similar build to me from the uk, he sat next to us and ate his lunch...I was absolutely amazed at how much food he could eat. I couldn't eat that much at anytime let alone at lunch.

Whilst I am sure you are correct and do respect your experience as your weight loss shows I cant help but think, based on personal observation which is as scientific as a fish, there may be other factors at play we are not fully aware of yet. There is something, I just wish I could put a better perspective on it, but it is so difficult when my sample groups small and science is so bad.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:58 pm

dynamictiger wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:Just a left of centre thought... Don't flame me for the suggestion but....

Whilst I am sure you are correct and do respect your experience as your weight loss shows I cant help but think, based on personal observation which is as scientific as a fish, there may be other factors at play we are not fully aware of yet. There is something, I just wish I could put a better perspective on it, but it is so difficult when my sample groups small and science is so bad.
Thanks for the reply...
It wasn't a blanket suggestion for all larger people, because obesity is a multifactorial disease. I have to appreciate this daily in my work, and see many sides of obesity, and the many personalities it take.

My above suggestion was more directed for those who DO have trouble with food consumption, binge eating, comfort eating, or the inability to override the intense desire to eat things that in hindsight u feel guilty about (amongst other things). I guess in a lot of cases, these people are not actually aware of the problem, or in denial about it...

Anyway.. Back to riding and losing weight (and eating ideally!)...

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:18 pm

15/02/14 122.3kgs
22/02/14 120.2kgs
01/03/14 119.8kgs
08/03/14 119.2kgs
15/03/14 118.6kgs

11.5hrs and 215kms on the bike must have helped this week. I did have some bad eating in there too :(

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:02 pm

dynamictiger wrote: - My wife is 80 kgs - she eats more than I do every single day yet does not put weight on
- I can pick my wife up anytime I want to, throw her over my shoulder and climb our stairs a few times without stopping for breath
- When in a mood it is not unusual for me to remove a car engine from the motor vehicle by picking it up and lifting it out - did I say when annoyed

Time and again, studies show people are notoriously unreliable at estimating their food intake. Even when given journals, obese people still record on average 40% less than what they eat.

Estimating energy expenditure is also difficult. Being stronger, and lifting stuff regularly throughout the day does not correlate well with total thermic effect of activity. Aerobic activity is more relevant.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 am

Stefan_A wrote:
dynamictiger wrote: - My wife is 80 kgs - she eats more than I do every single day yet does not put weight on

Time and again, studies show people are notoriously unreliable at estimating their food intake. Even when given journals, obese people still record on average 40% less than what they eat.

Estimating energy expenditure is also difficult. Being stronger, and lifting stuff regularly throughout the day does not correlate well with total thermic effect of activity. Aerobic activity is more relevant.
Not wanting to start some argumentative dissertation however whilst I did point out the science is bad, the observations are accurate in my case. I make both my wife and I lunches we take to work each day, our plate at dinner time is equal, our breakfast is different...I have less than she does. So as I say there is something else at play. Perhaps as you point out aerobic activity or perhaps strength overcoming aerobic need in my case.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:01 pm

dynamictiger wrote:Not wanting to start some argumentative dissertation however whilst I did point out the science is bad, the observations are accurate in my case. I make both my wife and I lunches we take to work each day, our plate at dinner time is equal, our breakfast is different...I have less than she does. So as I say there is something else at play. Perhaps as you point out aerobic activity or perhaps strength overcoming aerobic need in my case.
Probably just genetics at play. Different people handle types of food differently. Some can eat more and be thinner, while someone in the same family can't. Some people even put on weight easily with a high-carb vegan diet if not portion controlled.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:15 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:For some of the larger fellas, who need some extra support with binge eating, or eating to excess due to psychological factors, have u thought about joking an addiction help group? Being unable to say no to food, is, in its basic form, a form of addiction. Acknowledging that, accepting that, and modifying your behaviour is one of the firsts steps in ultimate behaviour modification. Getting added support from other addiction sufferers is a powerful way of staying true to yourself, and to your goals, and limiting the amount of "relapses" one has... It's ultimately one of the hardest addictions to modify because, unlike alcohol and drugs, u can't simply abstain from your vice altogether, because, obviously one must continue to eat...)
I suffer from this to a point. I'm waaaay better at it than I was in the past, but still if I'm bored and doing nothing around the house and there's little naughty snacky stuff around the house I will indulge to some extent. My best tactic is to greatly reduce what is around the house, but wifey persistently ignores my efforts to convince her not to have these things lying around, and with 2 kids it's pretty hard, but I'm slowly winning I believe.

After falling off the wagon since racing state masters track, I'm back on track and getting my body ready for our longer races for the winter season on the road.

17/2/2014 115.7kg
27/2/2014 116.7kg
17/3/2014 115.1kg (Traditionally my comparative weigh in is on Thursday mornings, but I was pretty happy to see these figures this morning)

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:02 pm

90.2 - went backwards.

The snacking on crap foods that the kids have around is in big affet here too. I have a shocking sweet tooth and can eat a lot of sweet food without feeling sick etc. I am not sure I class it as an addiction but it is close.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:51 am

82.1 post surgery, still inactive and a week away from any decent exercise.

Maybe I won't have as much idle weight to shift as I thought I would.