Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

yugyug

Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

Postby yugyug » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:58 am

Six cyclists injured after car collision
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/six-cyclists- ... 34usd.html

Mod says "No swearing thanks"

I read this straight after reading the thread "Murder Machines" in cycling safety and advocacy.

I can only hope its not any worse than it sounds at this point. :(

human909

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby human909 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:30 am

Disgusting.

If this was children or women then society wouldn't tolerate this and action would be take. However these are cyclists and apparently cyclists are real people. :(

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:46 am

Words fail me. At least printable words fail me. :(

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:05 pm

OK, make us pay rego so the idiots such as ones' making imbecilic comments on facebook no longer have that excuse to mow down cyclists.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:08 pm

I'd be the first to pay a 'rego' on my bike if I knew it WOULD change the attitude of these knuckle scrapers.

But we all know the answer to that.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:09 pm

The shoulder is pretty narrow on SCD, but there's lots of cycling groups use it like this - especially on weekend mornings.
A radio report (JJJ) suggested some of the cyclists were in the left lane - as they are entitled to be, and that's
also not unusual.

Visibility for motorists is excellent, so this incident is inexcusable - not an accident at all. Hope the police do a thorough
investigation and throw the book at the motorist if there is the slightest thing wrong (eg. texting on phone etc.,.).

Paying rego won't do anything to fix distracted and negligent motorists.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Paying rego won't prevent cars running down cyclists. They'll keep doing it, and find some pathetic excuse to keep doing so.

I saw this on SMH and I just cringed looking at the photos. I hope the cyclists recover quickly.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:Paying rego
The eternal Furphy :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:28 pm

ball bearing wrote:OK, make us pay rego so the idiots such as ones' making imbecilic comments on facebook no longer have that excuse to mow down cyclists.
There will always be an excuse until we get better education, it will just be something like "you shouldn't have been riding on the road when there was a cycleway right there" or "you shouldn't have been riding two abrest so that cars couldn't get past" or "you're too slow and you need to stop holding up traffic". All of these arguments are equally idiotic, giving into stupid demands isn't the answer.

Sad to hear about this accident, I had a friend call me up to make sure that I wasn't one of the people injured :( It's so wrong that one of the most common parting phrases between cyclists is basically "hope you don't get killed on the way home".

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Clear weather, early Sunday morning.

How does this type of thing happen? Substance impairment, a deliberate act or texting would be good lines of enquiry to start with.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:30 pm

The subject line should be edited, as it is not an accident unless there are facts to suggest otherwise. An accident is something that was beyond the control of all involved.

Please lets not perpetuate the myth that these sorts of incidents are accidents, they are not. It is a collision or crash.

Andrew

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:39 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:
ball bearing wrote:OK, make us pay rego so the idiots such as ones' making imbecilic comments on facebook no longer have that excuse to mow down cyclists.
There will always be an excuse until we get better education
I don't believe that education is lacking. Any person with half a brain intuitively knows that it is wrong to endanger another person. It appears that we have truly entered the Black Age of the Moron.

To such morons the murderous driver that appears to have deliberately attempted to kill these cyclists is a folk hero.

I agree that this was no accident.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm not from Sydney, and don't know the road, but looking at Google I see that it has all the outward appearance of a restricted-access freeway, except I'd guess that it is not closed to bikes, as cyclist groups state it is a popular riding route. It seems that Sydney has allowed roads to really be taken over for motor vehicles, with very little consideration for cyclists or pedestrians. Here in Melbourne we have freeways/tollways, that are restricted-access (no bikes); and then ordinary main roads, that have homes, shops, and businesses along them, and any vehicle may use.

In Corsica last year we rode along the only road access into Ajaccio from the south-east. This was not retricted access, bikes were allowed, but it looked like a freeway. Despite some misgivings we had to use it, and simply rde on. As a rule the traffic, in typical European style, was still very reasonable and accommodating to our presence. I doubt this is the case in Sydney.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:00 pm

ball bearing wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:
There will always be an excuse until we get better education
I don't believe that education is lacking. Any person with half a brain intuitively knows that it is wrong to endanger another person.
A huge proportion of our drivers do not seem to know that it is wrong to talk on a mobile phone, read text messages, do the make-up, or feed the kids, while driving a car :roll: :evil:

I vote: for much more education for road users, for longer time periods; make driving an expensive privilege; penalise offenders more heavily; and give financial rewards to those who choose to live without using a car.
Mandatory helmet law?

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:05 pm

il padrone wrote: A huge proportion of our drivers do not seem to know that it is wrong to talk on a mobile phone, read text messages, do the make-up, or feed the kids, while driving a car :roll: :evil:
These people don't seem to be aware enough to know that these driving antics are endangering themselves along with every other road user. You can't put sense into an idiot no matter how much they are drilled by an instructor.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:15 pm

The comments on the Dashcam Owners Page are truly abhorrent. You will never find a more wretched concentration of villainy & scum than in the comments. The future of the human race is under serious threat.

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwnersA ... 22307871:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 pm

queequeg wrote:The comments on the Dashcam Owners Page are truly abhorrent. You will never find a more wretched concentration of villainy & scum than in the comments. The future of the human race is under serious threat.

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwnersA ... 22307871:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I very nearly clicked on the link, but stopped myself.
There is NO point in reading something that you know will make your blood boil!

All we can hope for is that the ferals that are making the comments you speak of... are NOT breeding. :evil:

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:The subject line should be edited, as it is not an accident unless there are facts to suggest otherwise. An accident is something that was beyond the control of all involved.

Please lets not perpetuate the myth that these sorts of incidents are accidents, they are not. It is a collision or crash.

Andrew
Good point. Sorry I don't know how to edit the subject line now, but if an admin can oblige I agree it should be changed to "Collision on Southern Cross Dr" and without the "today" as I'm sure this will be active for some time to come.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:27 pm

The link is to a photo of the scene, you don't have to read the comments, but to summarise them I would have to describe the page as a cluster of the worst of the human race. I really do weep at our future when I see how these people behave. There is a case to be made for introducing a license to live!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Looks horrendous. Best wishes to all cyclists involved and their families.

Incidents like these are becoming far too common. It's absolutely soul destroying reading some of the comments on news articles, Facebook, etc.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Smithstreet wrote:
queequeg wrote:The comments on the Dashcam Owners Page are truly abhorrent. You will never find a more wretched concentration of villainy & scum than in the comments. The future of the human race is under serious threat.

I very nearly clicked on the link, but stopped myself.
There is NO point in reading something that you know will make your blood boil!

All we can hope for is that the ferals that are making the comments you speak of... are NOT breeding. :evil:
Its not all bad - there are a dedicated bunch of cyclists responding to the bile with reason and intelligence, and I applaud them.

Robinho

Re: Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

Postby Robinho » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:04 pm

I got sucked into the FB thing and spent some time responding on behalf of the human race

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Things might change if the car driver is considered at fault unless they can prove otherwise. How hard can it be to avoid hitting a large group of cyclists on a wide road with decent visibility?

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:20 pm

If one of the riders was rocking a Fly6 or similar, that driver could be in all kinds of trouble.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:29 pm

yugyug wrote:
Aushiker wrote:The subject line should be edited, as it is not an accident unless there are facts to suggest otherwise. An accident is something that was beyond the control of all involved.

Andrew
Good point. Sorry I don't know how to edit the subject line now, but if an admin can oblige I agree it should be changed to "Collision on Southern Cross Dr" and without the "today" as I'm sure this will be active for some time to come.
Looks like it is fixed now.

Thanks
Andrew