Sydney weather this morning!!!

nomadicsoul

Re: Sydney weather this morning!!!

Postby nomadicsoul » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:57 am

The path from Sutherland Rd under the M2 in Epping/Cheltenham is still caked with sticky mud from the recent rains. I went through on Tuesday a bit too fast and had to end up changing when I got to work. It's beginning to dry out now, but there is evidence of people slipping and coming off their bikes - be careful out there!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Snuck off early to beat the thunderstorm. Turned out not too bad, but hey its poets day anyway
Anything you can do, I can do slower

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 pm

nomadicsoul wrote:The path from Sutherland Rd under the M2 in Epping/Cheltenham is still caked with sticky mud from the recent rains. I went through on Tuesday a bit too fast and had to end up changing when I got to work. It's beginning to dry out now, but there is evidence of people slipping and coming off their bikes - be careful out there!
The mud guards are very handy through there. The mud is thinnest at the side closest to the tunnel wall, but you have to pick your line and don't stray too much from it.

For the record, I have ridden through here with water up to the wheel hubs :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:43 pm

find_bruce wrote:Snuck off early to beat the thunderstorm. Turned out not too bad, but hey its poets day anyway
me too, hammered down the M2 trying to keep up with the KOM holder for the segment up to Pennant Hills rd. He was rather shocked to see me hanging on to him all the way from nth Sydney (with Panniers). I was able to stay with him until half way up the climb to Pennant Hills Rd, and I just had to back off as he was killing me. Just not the ideal day for a blistering pace and I was 3 min off my best time from Nth Ryde (14:44 @40.8km/h with panniers).
Just as I got to Pennant Hills Rd the lighting strikes were almost on top of me, and it started to pour.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:51 pm

queequeg wrote:
nomadicsoul wrote:For the record, I have ridden through here with water up to the wheel hubs :-)
You are much braver than me! Last time it flooded, I chickened out and went back up Sutherland and down Beecroft Rd to Epping. Part fear of rivers and part fear of damaging my (at the time) shiny new Trek!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:57 pm

nomadicsoul wrote:
queequeg wrote:
nomadicsoul wrote:For the record, I have ridden through here with water up to the wheel hubs :-)
You are much braver than me! Last time it flooded, I chickened out and went back up Sutherland and down Beecroft Rd to Epping. Part fear of rivers and part fear of damaging my (at the time) shiny new Trek!
The water was still at the time, and I underestimated the depth. If the water is rushing through I will take the diversion back up to Cheltenham Rd and use either Beecroft Rd or the M2 overpass to Kent St.

I'll ride through in up to about 10cm of water without any issues.

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Another concern was the amount of rocks/pebbles which wash up there. I've ridden through rain etc before, but could at least see what my tyre's were hitting. Last thing I wanted was to fly off the bike and destroy my laptop

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:21 pm

nomadicsoul wrote:Another concern was the amount of rocks/pebbles which wash up there. I've ridden through rain etc before, but could at least see what my tyre's were hitting. Last thing I wanted was to fly off the bike and destroy my laptop
The rocks get swept into the road section, but I have never seen rocks on the raised path section. I have seen tree trunks and destroyed fences, but no pebbles. Probably because the rushing water pushes everything downhill!

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Berowra Waters this morning was stunning. Perfect weather on the full 3 Gorges ride, i don't reckon it gets any better. Mild, calm, dry, perfect.

13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:12 pm

I dunno hergest - looks to me like you missed the boat :D

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:10 pm

find_bruce wrote:I dunno hergest - looks to me like you missed the boat :D
He he. It was waiting for me when i rode down the hill but i wanted a breather and a snack so i let it go to wait for the next crossing.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

isabella24

Sydney weather this morning!!!

Postby isabella24 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Lol I love it Hergest! I went for a ride today too. Beautiful sydney weather, wish I could have done the gear up girl ride today at Kurnell but didn't know I'd be available to do it.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 am

Cold this morning!! Winter is a coming.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:57 am

Rockford wrote:Cold this morning!! Winter is a coming.
Yes, instead of the recent run of 20 deg at 7am it was 15 deg. A bit of chill in the air.

westab

Postby westab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:09 am

biker jk wrote:
Rockford wrote:Cold this morning!! Winter is a coming.
Yes, instead of the recent run of 20 deg at 7am it was 15 deg. A bit of chill in the air.
+1 it was cool this morning - I will be breaking out the long sleeves soon. Still it was very nice weather this morning, am looking forward to the ride home and hopefully a later tonight as I would like to bring some clothes to work in the new trailer.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:11 pm

It was cold this morning - 14deg at my place. I was very grateful that I chucked a short sleeved base layer on under my jersey as I was heading out the door.
Brrrr!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:18 pm

isabella24 wrote:It was cold this morning - 14deg at my place. I was very grateful that I chucked a short sleeved base layer on under my jersey as I was heading out the door.
Brrrr!
Same but I couldn't be bother stopping to put on my wind vest. Just pushed harder until I warmed up :-)

Time to dig out my long gloves and winter gear in preparation esp since my standard extra 15km commute route starts before the sun is up.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:47 pm

It was cool yesterday morning when I started off, but I've got some false flats and gentle rolling hills to start me off with so I warm up fairly quickly. I generally don't go quickly to start with, I just slowly pick up the speed or I pay the price.

Saturday was the worst - it took about 20km for my legs to actually start working properly and not just feel like I was dragging along blocks of concrete. Once they started working, better. :)

Awkward with the cool mornings deciding whether or not to take the windbreaker vest or not, because it usually warms up quite a bit later and then you cook. :) Just brave it in the mornings and then it is good in about an hour.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Need to be a bit cooler before I break out my new arm warmers

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Well I used my arm warmers for the first time this year, albeit breifly. The Garmin said 10 deg was the minimum, most likely heading down into Bobbin Head.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Brilliant day today, no wind, nice temps. Great to be out on the bike.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Rockford wrote:Brilliant day today, no wind, nice temps. Great to be out on the bike.
Doesn't get any better than a great day with good company. Fabulous day for the Sydney Classic Bike Show

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Rockford wrote:Brilliant day today, no wind, nice temps. Great to be out on the bike.
It was very damp and foggy out near Richmond and also going through Toongabbie when I left in the morning very, very early. :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Last gasp of summer today - over 30 degrees & muggy

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:53 pm

nomadicsoul wrote:The path from Sutherland Rd under the M2 in Epping/Cheltenham is still caked with sticky mud from the recent rains. I went through on Tuesday a bit too fast and had to end up changing when I got to work. It's beginning to dry out now, but there is evidence of people slipping and coming off their bikes - be careful out there!
it'll be freshly renewed (again) today ...

good thing they didn't bother cleaning out the debris from the last flood.