Timed Social Event Report Thread (3 Peaks 2014)

Drastic

Re: Timed Social Event Report Thread (3 Peaks 2014)

Postby Drastic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Josh, Good to see you out there even though it was only briefly. I didn't hang around long at Omeo and jumped onto a fast looking bunch that came through while we were stopped. As it turned out less than a third of the bunch was working but we still made good time through to Anglers Rest and Say What Corner. After that you are effectively on your own up the climb. I just about scrambled onto the back of a bunch at the very top of the climb and had a nice tow through the headwind for the 15 or so km to the finish. I agree that the event has become a lot more competitive with more better riders and all riders much better prepared. The 92% finish rate speaks volumes, the weather was near perfect but all other years have had far higher DNF rates.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Well done Josh! Sounds like a tough day in the saddle followed by a great sense of achievement. I would like to try this event some day, but it will take some training commitment to do it.

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:30 am

Xplora wrote:Fantastic writeup!

Seeing your prep on Strava (and seeing a mate's Strava in the lead up to the 2013 3PC) makes you realise how special this is. Strong, fit riders taking extra time to train is intense. It's surely a similar commitment as completing an Ironman triathlon.

I like the idea of these epic rides but if you were cramping over an hour from the end with another climb to go, and did this on a standard crank, then I'm out :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you on the road again. Have another week off then prep for the road race season!
Thanks X.

The cramp was horrible, but after a couple of minutes I was OK. There's two hours to go at that point, and the first hour is horrendous. I think I know what I did wrong, I think I changed down too early at the bottom of the hill, and did the spin spin thing for a few seconds. Should have changed down slower, kept the cadence about 80.

Will see you out on the road; it will be a few weeks, no way I can race right now!

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:34 am

Drastic wrote:Hi Josh, Good to see you out there even though it was only briefly. I didn't hang around long at Omeo and jumped onto a fast looking bunch that came through while we were stopped. As it turned out less than a third of the bunch was working but we still made good time through to Anglers Rest and WT? Corner. After that you are effectively on your own up the climb. I just about scrambled onto the back of a bunch at the very top of the climb and had a nice tow through the headwind for the 15 or so km to the finish. I agree that the event has become a lot more competitive with more better riders and all riders much better prepared. The 92% finish rate speaks volumes, the weather was near perfect but all other years have had far higher DNF rates.
Good to see you too Drastic. I think when we hit those hills before Omeo, you went with Joe and the other guys. Dave and I hung back with another rider. You were still there when we got to Omeo, but left pretty soon. You did really well, a time under 9 hours is fantastic.

A Fat Fossil

Postby A Fat Fossil » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:32 am

I really enjoyed your writeup rogan. And well done.

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 pm

Excellant write up and great finishing time.

I did 3PC for the first time this year and it was a similar experience to yourself..... Your body is like a petrol tank in car, you use up too much early on and you risk running on empty towards the end. I had that in my mind the whole way through.
Hotham and Falls (esp Falls) were relentless and the last 20kms (solo and into a headwind) seemed to go on for eternity but it has been the most rewarding ride to date. My time was 10.03hr including stops.

.....I shall be back next year. :D
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:59 pm

My little adventure of 3 peaks. Not anywhere near as descriptive as others but my story all the same.
I left Falls Creek with the start of the 2nd wave. I rapidly caught the 1st wave, passing so many people. I needed to finish the descent of Falls in 48 min for the sub 10 time. I did it in 42. I then made my way to Tawonga Gap. I needed to be at the top of that climb in 1:28, I was there in 1:23. All good so far. I rapidly descended Tawonga Gap, overtaking a lot of other riders. We were setting a brilliant pace until we turned onto the road to Harrietville. Approximately 500 m after the turn, my knee went. It started acting up a little 3 weeks be fore 3 peaks. I tried a number of things to try to help but with very limited success. I bought some Nurofen in Harrietville and that seemed to take a little of the edge off. I climbed Mt Hotham significantly slower than I wanted. However, I made it all the way to 100 m from the top of Diamantina before i just couldn't turn the pedals through pain. I walked this 100m then got back on the bike.
I rode to Dinner Plain to sort some lunch and replenish supplies. I checked and I had 7 hours to finish the ride. So I kept pressing on. Set a new personal high speed on the way to Omeo!
Just kept chipping away at the distance until the bottom of Falls Creek. I have nothing nice to say about this 19 km climb, nothing. In order to get to Trapyard gap, I walked where I couldn't cycle and cycled as much as I could. Once I got to Trapyard gap, I knew that I was only 25 km from home and simply refused to stop. Along this last section Craig Elborough, from MCC, caught up with me and rode with me to the finish.
While it was significantly outside the goal I set, I did my best given the condition of my knee.
To all my friends, your words of encouragement helped me every step of the way. I greatly appreciate every word.
Should I have pulled out when I hurt the knee? Probably.
However, I entered 3 peaks to finish, not start.
For those that are interested:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/458383829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I might add, toughest day on the bike, ever. But a really pretty part of the world.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:46 pm

11 hours without a knee? :shock: