Beaufort Street 2 way traffic project

nachoman

Beaufort Street 2 way traffic project

Postby nachoman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Beaufort St Northbridge is currently being converted into a two way street with bus lanes in peak periods.

City Of Perth link

A PDF of the road layout is also available:
http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/documentdb/3398.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Re: Beaufort Street 2 way traffic project

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 pm

More craziness from the City of Perth, all motivated by trying to make it easier for people to drive through the CBD. Sheer madness.

What they should have done is retained most of the one-way streets with the following lane allocations:
- 1 bus lane
- 1 general traffic lane
- 1 contra-flow cycle lane (allowing cyclists to use all city streets as two-way streets)
- parking where desirable and the road reserve allows

Instead they are going with a solution which:
- doesn't provide for cycle lanes on any streets
- doesn't provide for proper bus priority (the middle of the CBD should have 24hr lanes, not this garbage peak period, peak direction lane)
- they are going to have to ban right turns at half the intersections anyway to make them work, in which case you may as well have kept the one-way streets

It also pisses me off that they are moving buses off William Street, making access to Northbridge more difficult.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't understand why they are only bus lanes at peak periods; when the road is busiest, only buses can use it. But when the road is not very busy, anyone can use it, but they don't need to use since the road is not very busy... :?: So they may as well be bus lanes 24/7!! I see plenty of cars abuse the system and make it a hassle for buses in these times.

Anyway, the bus lanes on Beaufort St through Inglewood (Sixth Ave to Salisbury St) allow bikes to use them. I assume this will be the same for the proposed?

At the moment cyclists can't travel into the city along Beaufort in the CoP section, and must negotiate peak hour with cars going out of the city. So as far as cycling is concerned, this is a win?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Red Rider wrote:I don't understand why they are only bus lanes at peak periods; when the road is busiest, only buses can use it. But when the road is not very busy, anyone can use it, but they don't need to use since the road is not very busy... :?: So they may as well be bus lanes 24/7!! I see plenty of cars abuse the system and make it a hassle for buses in these times.?
Most definitely. In this case it's all about parking, which just shows you that even in inner Perth that the car is still king.

As far as cycling goes, it's a partial win I suppose. The current inbound route along William St is reasonable for cyclists (I'm not the fastest but I ride comfortably in the lane in the morning peak) and you can pass buses as they have bays at their stops.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:01 pm

This is occurring this week-end - more at City of Perth.
From 12 noon Sunday 7 April, Beaufort Street (between Roe Street and Newcastle Street) will be opened to two-way traffic.

This change in direction coincides with the City’s plan to revitalise Perth’s CBD by returning one-way streets to two-way flow where practical.

City of Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi said the conversion of streets back to two-way is about more than just traffic flows.

“It’s about the movement of people in and around our city, improving the connectivity between existing streets and making it easier to navigate through the city,” Ms Scaffidi said.

“Two-way traffic helps make surrounding areas more pedestrian friendly by discouraging fast passing traffic.

“Slower traffic along key city streets will make it safer for pedestrians to move around and experience the surrounding businesses and public spaces.”

Beaufort Street will feature designated bus lanes for peak morning and afternoon periods.

On Sunday 7 of April, existing westbound bus services on Newcastle Street will turn left onto Beaufort Street instead of William Street for southbound travel.

From Sunday 21 of April, existing southbound buses on William Street (Northbridge) will instead run southbound on Beaufort Street (Northbridge).

As Beaufort Street covers two local government areas, the City of Perth has been working with the City of Vincent to complete this project. It is anticipated that the City of Vincent sections of Beaufort Street will be opened to two-way traffic on Sunday 21 April.

“It is important all road user pay close attention to the new traffic flows and pedestrians must look both ways when crossing the newly converted streets.”

The conversion of Beaufort Street will be followed by William Street (between Roe Street and Newcastle Street) which will be opened to two-way traffic on Sunday 21st April

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 pm

So Beaufort Street is now finally two-way.

Something I noticed though - why are the bus lanes not signposted to permit cyclists to ride in them? This is done elsewhere, e.g. Barry Marshall Drive at Murdoch, St Georges Terrace, Great Eastern Highway, and of course the lanes on Beaufort St through Inglewood.

Cyclists will use it anyway, legal or not, so it just seems mind-numbingly stupid that such infrastructure is not signposted properly. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the contempt shown to cyclists by CoP, CoV and MRWA.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi, st George's Tce bus lanes are not marked as bike lanes.

They are also no cars, but cars use them.

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Who now finds that William St heading citybound is always gridlocked, and that cars on Beaufort St still have no idea where they are driving/what lane they need to be in???

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed May 22, 2013 6:21 pm

I prefer not to share with busses on the Terrace... they stop all the time and you can get stuck behind a big long line of them :> ... but the bus lane on beaufort st is better as there are less busses and less stops.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Wed May 22, 2013 6:53 pm

I've found Beaufort St heading north on the recently made two-way stretch to be a real pain. There's less scope to overtake buses stopped in the left lane and cars are less likely to move over when passing you. It all feels a lot less bike-friendly now, although I guess you can cycle in the opposite direction.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed May 22, 2013 7:34 pm

I ride eastbound along Aberdeen St a few afternoons a week and I have found the light changes at William and Beaufort to now be painfully slower

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 am

Riding eastbound along Newcastle Street, even early in the morning (5:30ish) takes a bit longer now with the traffic lights at the intersection of Beaufort Street taking a lot longer to cycle through (due to 2-way conversion). Quite annoying actually

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon May 27, 2013 12:15 pm

The City of Perth Bike Plan shows intent for William Street to be an Integrated Cycle Route (i.e. slow speed environment, good for cycling) and Stirling Street to be a City Cycle Route (cycle lanes to be in place in the next month or so), so Beaufort Street can be avoided.

As far as signals go, there's some problems with the loops on Newcastle/Beaufort/Roe Streets so the synchronisation is all to pot!

BrownBike

Postby BrownBike » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Sinner wrote:The City of Perth Bike Plan shows intent for William Street to be an Integrated Cycle Route (i.e. slow speed environment, good for cycling) and Stirling Street to be a City Cycle Route (cycle lanes to be in place in the next month or so), so Beaufort Street can be avoided.
William St is actually pretty good now, heading south. The only pain is getting all the way to the river - wonder how many years until that link is open again? It sucks doing a footpath backwards dog-leg onto Barrack st!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

William Street is OK apart from the all the red lights and traffic which makes it rather pointless as a "ride in primary position" type route. Also the areas where the kerb extensions are through Northbridge don't leave much room for passing vehicles on the left/being passed.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 am

Sinner wrote: and Stirling Street to be a City Cycle Route (cycle lanes to be in place in the next month or so),
Noticed some fresh marking dots on Stirling St today in both directions, presumably marking out where the cycle lanes will be painted

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 pm

That's a long month!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 pm

nachoman wrote:
Sinner wrote: and Stirling Street to be a City Cycle Route (cycle lanes to be in place in the next month or so),
Noticed some fresh marking dots on Stirling St today in both directions, presumably marking out where the cycle lanes will be painted
Local government grant funds where available in 2012/13 for Stirling St. Better late than never.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:00 pm

The Stirling St bike lanes have been well done. Marked lanes between Roe St and the existing lanes beyond Newcastle St. Green treatment in places, plus advanced stopping boxes at the Aberdeen and Newcastle St lights.

The 'cross here with care' sign at the Roe St end seems a bit odd. Is it for the people riding on the path or riding on the road? It is in an awkward spot also.

http://i.imgur.com/KMtxo4F.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks nachoman, I look forward to checking these out.

That sign is terribly located and I can't understand why it is there. The only people crossing there would be those going from PSP (westbound) to Stirling (northbound).

Also, Beaufort Street up near Bulwer Street (not sure how far north it goes) has just been resurfaced with red asphalt ready for bus lanes. No doubt they will not be signed appropriately to allow cyclists to use them.

BrownBike

Postby BrownBike » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 pm

I think that sign is the wrong way around. Makes perfect sense if you are heading out of the city and have to cross to contine on the north-east bike lane.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:21 am

Beaufort heading North out of Mt Lawley has been given the PM bus/bike lane treatment! From memory it was from Queens Crescent up to the top of the hill at Regent/First Ave. It has brown bitumen with good signage and bold yellow road markings. Given the current road works down the hill, it looks as though it will eventually link up with the Inglewood bus/bike lane.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:24 am

The intention is to have the bus lanes completed, from almost Walcott Street (yes that stage will be signed too) all the way to the existing bus lanes at Sixth Avenue. Currently scheduled for this financial year, for completion end of June.

initially the plans showed just bus lanes but City Of Stirling insisted that they should be bus/bike lanes as were provided through Inglewood.

These lanes are AM/PM peak lanes servicing a new high frequency bus route from Morley, along Beaufort Street, through Perth City and up to QE2 medical centre.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Green is go for cyclists
GREEN bike lanes are starting to feature on Perth roads, a move lauded by WA’s peak cycling body but questioned by others as not enough to protect cyclists.

Recently, the City of Perth started painting sections of bike lanes green to signify potential areas of conflict with other traffic, particularly at intersections.

Cycle head start facilities, where bikes are able to move ahead of vehicles at traffic lights, have been painted.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:13 pm

It's a mish-mash of an article. Who's responsible for the green? Main Roads? BWA? City of Vincent? City of Perth?

Expect lots more green on Aberdeen Street across Lake Street and on Barrack Street.