Tiagra rear hub

benj

Tiagra rear hub

Postby benj » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:23 pm

What do you guys think of using a tiagra rear hub for touring? im thinking of using one laced to a mavic xm719, as i currently have the rim laced to a phil freewheel hub, and putting the spoke lengths through a calculator come up the same. im wanting to get into using a freehub over the freewheel so i can use some of the larger ranges mtb cassettes out there.
cheers

Baalzamon

Re: Tiagra rear hub

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:43 pm

I've got some Mavic xm719 and I'm fully expecting the rear rim to crack whilst on tour.... I purchased and didn't know that so now bit too late. I was googling the spoke tension when I found that issue out.
So when they do fail, I'm replacing with some Rigida Andra's
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:35 pm

I built two sets of wheels using Tiagra 4400 hubs. They are still going strong after five years. Admittedly, I did replace the bearings on one set but the internals were fine. The hub seals are very good and the wheels are used in the rain without problems. Current Tiagra is 4600 series but still very cheap to buy for a reliable hub.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:49 pm

If you've got it, use it I reckon. I got a set of 4500 Tiagra hubbed wheels from a skip in an affluent area of town about 5 or 6 years back. They've been great. Had them on between about 3 or 4 different bikes since I picked them up and they're fine. They're serviceable, loose ball units - so why not?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.