Trouble with the Police on the M2

Stefan_A

Re: Trouble with the Police on the M2

Postby Stefan_A » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:35 pm

MVZOOM wrote:I'm the first to admit that my initial reaction to the officer wasn't conducive to an amicable outcome, by any means. In saying that, I'm not about to be screamed at (literally - spittle flying from his mouth, red faced, wide eyed, hands on hips, legs spread) by anyone. It's just not something that I will ever just roll over and accept. My father was a police officer for many years - I have utmost respect for those men and women who choose to dedicate their lives to making society livable for the rest of us. I guess we got off on a bad footing, which got worse through the conversation.
If I had my way, it would be a law not to wear earphones when riding a bike, just as it would be a law not to play music so loud in a car you cannot hear an emergency services vehicle approaching, or side swiping a cyclist. But then, there's no law saying common sense has to prevail.

I can understand the policeman's anger, especially when he's looking straight at you, and you're riding along ignoring him.
Why some think it is appropriate to be insolent towards police, is a sign of how stuffed Australia is.
But then Australia is multicultural now, so police have to be sensitive to the cultural heritage of other countries, even NZ.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Hello to the genius I passed at 5:30pm-ish today heading citybound on the M2 on his bike, under Pennant Hills Rd, right past the two clear signs that indicate No Bikes Allowed. yes you with the red backpack. And we wonder why after the Southern Cross Drive crash that people get the impression that cyclists are reckless and ignore the road rules...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:06 am

SheikYerbouti wrote:Hello to the genius I passed at 5:30pm-ish today heading citybound on the M2 on his bike, under Pennant Hills Rd, right past the two clear signs that indicate No Bikes Allowed. yes you with the red backpack. And we wonder why after the Southern Cross Drive crash that people get the impression that cyclists are reckless and ignore the road rules...
On the East or west side? I didn't see anyone riding Contraflow on the M2 Westbound, and I joined the M2 at North Ryde about 5:35pm (and was at Pennant Hills Rd 17min later).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:16 am

Riding with the traffic, citybound, where the M2 is closed to cyclists; meant to get off M2 at PH Rd, detour and rejoin it further on. The guy was riding right past the big clear "No Bikes" signs.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:18 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:Riding with the traffic, citybound, where the M2 is closed to cyclists; meant to get off M2 at PH Rd, detour and rejoin it further on. The guy was riding right past the big clear "No Bikes" signs.
Actually as far as eastbound goes Pennant Hills Rd is it. No rejoining further on until the two work zones at Marsfield and east of Lane Cove Rd are gone.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Boognoss wrote:
SheikYerbouti wrote:Riding with the traffic, citybound, where the M2 is closed to cyclists; meant to get off M2 at PH Rd, detour and rejoin it further on. The guy was riding right past the big clear "No Bikes" signs.
Actually as far as eastbound goes Pennant Hills Rd is it. No rejoining further on until the two work zones at Marsfield and east of Lane Cove Rd are gone.
True. I have no idea though, why it is presently unlawful to join at Herring Rd eastbound and get off again at Lane Cove Rd.

Also, any weekend morning, you will see riders citybound east of Pennant Hills Rd (going with the traffic).

Finally, around the time that the current works are finished, NorthConnex will start. I cannot see how they can build that whilst allowing bikes west of Pennant Hills Rd. They may not need access there for a while, but during construction, and indeed once the link is built, that is going to be a really difficult spot for cyclists.

http://www.northconnex.com.au/southern_interchange.php

Looks like it is just the existing Pennant Hills Rd ramps affected. We will see. Looks like they are also going to be ripping up the footpath on the west side of Pennant Hills Rd, between M2 and Copeland Rd, a very popular unofficial bike route.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:53 pm

I won't be happy if they kick us off the M2 again, with construction running through until 2019!
I use that Western Footpath every day as it is the only safe northbound route from the m2 to castle hill rd. I am not sharing a road with a b-double doing 70km/h.
Hopefully we'll have a chance to get a proper cycling interchange too. The current bike lane off the m2 leads you into the middle of the intersection and then vanishes without a trace. The eastern footpath is horrible.

Also, the north west rail line will have tunnels passing through the same area up near castle hill road, so will be curious to see how they handle the cross-over. The rail tunnel will be pretty deep, but the first station at Cherrybrook is being built as a cut & cover, and that is just on castle hill rd about 2km down from Thompsons corner.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 pm

queequeg wrote:I won't be happy if they kick us off the M2 again, with construction running through until 2019!
I use that Western Footpath every day as it is the only safe northbound route from the m2 to castle hill rd. I am not sharing a road with a b-double doing 70km/h.
Hopefully we'll have a chance to get a proper cycling interchange too. The current bike lane off the m2 leads you into the middle of the intersection and then vanishes without a trace. The eastern footpath is horrible.

Also, the north west rail line will have tunnels passing through the same area up near castle hill road, so will be curious to see how they handle the cross-over. The rail tunnel will be pretty deep, but the first station at Cherrybrook is being built as a cut & cover, and that is just on castle hill rd about 2km down from Thompsons corner.
+1

Thanks for the link Rogan.

During construction of the compound west of Pennant Hills Rd I doubt bikes will get a look in or a second thought :evil:

I too use this path every arvo up to Aiken Rd. Perhaps I could go to Windsor Rd and back to Castle hill from there (adding 8+km to my commute - I prefer long in the morning and as short as possible in the afternoon) or use Murray Farm/Oakes Rds to get to Aiken but not ideal.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:I won't be happy if they kick us off the M2 again, with construction running through until 2019!

+1

During construction of the compound west of Pennant Hills Rd I doubt bikes will get a look in or a second thought :evil:

I too use this path every arvo up to Aiken Rd. Perhaps I could go to Windsor Rd and back to Castle hill from there (adding 8+km to my commute - I prefer long in the morning and as short as possible in the afternoon) or use Murray Farm/Oakes Rds to get to Aiken but not ideal.
I wouldn't have that option as I need to get to New Line Rd. I'd basically have to use the crappy eastern path, or stop using the M2 past Beecroft.

you just know we're going to get shafted in the name of safety. Funny how nobody is concerned about our safety at any other time.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:53 am

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

+1

I wouldn't have that option as I need to get to New Line Rd. I'd basically have to use the crappy eastern path, or stop using the M2 past Beecroft.

you just know we're going to get shafted in the name of safety. Funny how nobody is concerned about our safety at any other time.
I know :(

Unless you added a tonne of extra and unnecessary climbing up Highs or Coonara.

Crappy eastern side might be the only logical choice not that I've ever actually used it. Only ever the western path.

Yep can't give a toss if we're hit and injured but can't have us cycling anywhere near construction work........

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:37 am

TTar wrote:I don't know how many posters berating MVZOOM on this thread ride in Sydney and actually have any experience interacting with our officers of the law, but I wouldn't be so fast springing to the defence of the cop.
Let's see.
You're painting all Sydney police with the same brush. Isn't that what motorists do to cyclists and what we moan about all the time?
2010 BMC SLC01