ACF Strava Club

TonyMax

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby TonyMax » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:17 pm

I guess being a shared app/system/framework we have to deal with the hand we're given by the administrators, other users and our GPS devices.

Why for instance was this segment flagged as hazardous?

http://www.strava.com/segments/880293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing I can think of is too many people leaving Strava running and getting ~90km/h readings from in the car...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Haha. But that's the thing with Strava. You have those that race. There are those that just commute. Those that do casual rides. Those doing it for fitness. Those that do a mix of all. Fit riders. Not so fit riders. Tall riders. Short riders. Light riders. Heavy riders. Young riders. Older riders. When it comes to segments some people can be fast without really trying while others might have to take risks to achieve the same result. For example on the video above I could casually maintain a higher pace on the open/high visibility areas and apply caution in the blind corners. Others might not be able to maintain my casual higher pace so they take risks by gunning it through the blind corners where I'm slower to get the same time. You get that on every strava segment. http://raceshape.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a great tool for comparing how each rider achieves their ultimate speed. You even get that on long rides. I did a 320km ride with a mate at the end of last year. He pulled away on the downhill bits, we averaged roughly the same on the flats but I was faster on the small up hill sections. This went backwards and forwards for a good majority of the ride yet we both had similar strava segment times by a second or two despite at times having a 10-40m gap open between us at times.

And the nanny police are back to flagging segments!
http://app.strava.com/segments/5196201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://app.strava.com/segments/2504182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://app.strava.com/segments/4882539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:05 pm

TonyMax wrote:I guess being a shared app/system/framework we have to deal with the hand we're given by the administrators, other users and our GPS devices.

Why for instance was this segment flagged as hazardous?

http://www.strava.com/segments/880293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing I can think of is too many people leaving Strava running and getting ~90km/h readings from in the car...
Duplicate for http://www.strava.com/segments/1083143?

Certainly not dangerous and seems to be exactly what a strava segment should be to me.

This is why it'd be nice if there was some sort of review/moderation/discussion. Although a mass email to everyone who rode a segment with a 'Someone thinks that this segment is dangerous because [insert text here].' With buttons for a survey "Do you Agree/disagree/don't care?" has the potential to be really annoying.

Or even a moderated discussion (no names, no pack-drill) between the flagger and the segment creator.

Cheers,

Cameron

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:46 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
Xplora wrote:KOMs aren't built on knowledge, but max efforts for the required distance, perhaps a leadout, perhaps a tailwind, perhaps a wheel to hunt down. This IS part of the issue.
Max efforts? Please :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, lead outs is correct - that has been done. Not by me though. The riders around my area are very, very fast. A graders or better. :shock:

When it gets to people doing lead outs for segments, that's when I give it a miss. I don't want to go that fast.

However, I have never flagged a segment. It is up to the riders to ride in a manner safe to the conditions.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:49 pm

I usually find myself doing leadouts along the bikeway in the city of some sort.... Punching out 45-50kph for a good distance or launching into a 60kph sprint usually sorts out those random wheel suckers! :P

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Remind me to not ride with you in a group ride Lukeyboy :-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:56 pm

darkelf921 wrote:Remind me to not ride with you in a group ride Lukeyboy :-)
More KOMs for me then :P

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:Remind me to not ride with you in a group ride Lukeyboy :-)
More KOMs for me then :P
Hahahaha :-) I don't think that's a problem ;-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Was a bit disappointed this week - set a new personal best of 96.6 km/h and it was only good enough for 75th place. :shock: :lol: :lol:

kb

Postby kb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:29 am

g-boaf wrote: However, I have never flagged a segment. It is up to the riders to ride in a manner safe to the conditions.
I have sympathy for that point if view but did end up flagging a narrowish bridge shared with dog walking pedestrians. It's probably a whole 30m long. Really, what's the point? Not that flagging does a lot of good. The segments just end up being recreated..

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 am

kb wrote:
g-boaf wrote: However, I have never flagged a segment. It is up to the riders to ride in a manner safe to the conditions.
I have sympathy for that point if view but did end up flagging a narrowish bridge shared with dog walking pedestrians. It's probably a whole 30m long. Really, what's the point? Not that flagging does a lot of good. The segments just end up being recreated..
So why bother flagging it then?

My real issue with this is that everyone has a different idea of what is hazardous. I have seen several segments that I cannot grasp how someone thought they were hazardous, and it frustrates me that that a good segment is no longer available. I can only conclude that someone flagged it because they lost the KOM and could not get it back... or just for the fun of it maybe?

I see some segments around me that I do consider hazardous, but I don't flag them. People who ride bikes like any other form of transport or leisure activity need to learn to take responsibility for their own decisions and accept the consequences and not try and blame someone else for their poor decisions. Of course their poor decision may impact someone else, and that is unfortunate, but this happens many times a day in many activities other than cycling also.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Instead of hazardous, we should be able to label them pointless!.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:09 am

vosadrian wrote:
kb wrote:
So why bother flagging it then?
Admittedly irritation.

Seeing I had the KOM on a ridiculous segment I didn't know of, reminded me of regularly seeing the impact of inconsiderate behaviour on the elderly, the young and the less confident on a stretch too short for any sensible metrics.

It was a one-off, as thinking about it afterwards, anyone it would make reconsider would probably be more careful anyway. I'm over it now, and mainly just trying to set a good example by my riding.

The number of low quality, extremely short or overlapping segments is also a bit bemusing, but I guess was always going to be unavoidable.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:20 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Instead of hazardous, we should be able to label them pointless!.
+1 - I thought that is what hiding a segment was meant to do - if enough people hide it then it is hidden by default. Not sure if it works in practice

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Alllllllllrighty then.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:41 pm

I got one of them. First one ever for me.

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:17 am

Hmmmm managed over 1900 k's last month yet no fancy email GRRRR! Damn you Strava! :wink:
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:41 am

Yeah, I got a fancy email. Deleted it. I did 1,669 km last month, so apparently I'm "elite finisher". I don't feel particularly elite.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Your more "elite" than me :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:13 pm

And me :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:39 pm

I got an email also- but off course I am super elite.... not

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:57 pm

OK I think I know everyone's name from here on Strava .... except Antti Papinniemi, sorry can't work out who your are!... but boy you can do some km's!

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:24 pm

toolonglegs wrote:.... except Antti Papinniemi, sorry can't work out who your are!...
Ummm, that'd be me :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:27 pm

:lol: I'm happy now! ... :mrgreen:

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58 pm

anttismo wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:.... except Antti Papinniemi, sorry can't work out who your are!...
Ummm, that'd be me :)
Just hit the follow, welcome to Brissie