The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:45 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Me this morning.
Got dressed, grabbed the good bike as planning a longer ride in today. Start the lights, Garmin up and running, gloves, helmet, backpack and shoes on nice a tight. Okay lets go, rolled down the drive and couldn't get the pedals/shoes to join. Stupid me was wearing my commuter shoes (MTB SPD) trying to clip into SPD-SL pedals :oops: . Really stupid as one set of shoes is black and the other white/red- really easy to confuse.

Lesson learned, slow down and check things twice at 5:30 in the morning
Am waiting for that to happen as I've recently swapped the roadie over to spd-sl pedals from spds

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:41 pm

riding northbound on william st between murray and wellington.

dumb cyclist was mr 'not wearing a helmet while riding the wrong way up the road'

idiot.
Last edited by jaseyjase on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:37 pm

tekapo wrote:
oxonabike wrote:I am conflicted pasting a link relating to the death of a cyclist in this particular thread.. but, but.....

http://bit.ly/1lIQR8L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Undetected on the front of a high speed train for 40km in France.
and thats just 8 minutes at 322km/h
More than likely it wouldn't have been going that fast. To give you an example there have been times in Queensland where the Tilt Trains and some of the faster suburban sets have struck animals on the track and had hit them in such a way that they broke the fiberglass paneling and were stuck between the fiberglass and the train chassis/impaled themselves on the coupling.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 am

Possibly me this morning, with cameos from a pedestrian and two oncoming cyclists.

Riding west along Roe Street, I slowed and signalled to exit the road and enter the parallel shared path at a kerb ramp. There was an oncoming pedestrian, who I saw, and was planning to go after she had moved across the kerb ramp. Instead, she panicked and stopped right before it, which gave me a fright so I pulled up on the path. Then two cyclists who were a fair way behind her, decided that was an appropriate time to overtake at speed and so they nearly stacked it trying to avoid me who had stopped in the middle of the path.

To add to that, I had a MM overtaking me using the marked right turn lane as all this unfolded, and a bus driver waiting to enter the bus station just a bit further up.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:20 pm

wellington_street wrote:Possibly me this morning, with cameos from a pedestrian and two oncoming cyclists.
you? no. you stopped. safely.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Had my own mad pedestrian experience this morning at about 5:45am. it was still dark, and there is one section of my commute where the only option to access the city bound road is to use the footpath for about 150m (four lanes of one-way traffic in the opposite direction). Being a dodgy path with signs & trees planted alternately, I was plodding along at little more than walking pace to do the slalom course between two large trees. I was on the far left of the path when a jogger basically jumps out from behind the large tree I was just about to pass. There is no way he can't have known I was there because the twin set of AyUps had the path lit up for some 20 to 30m in front of me.
Anyway, he guy nearly runs straight into the side of me, then he pushed me with both hands to try and knock me off the bike (he failed). I was only doing between 5 and 10km/h to go around the trees, so I was basically stopped as soon as I saw him. Probably the only reason I didn't end up falling onto the road.

anyway, the joggers starts swearing at me, then says "get on the <censored> road where you belong", overlooking that the road is one way in the wrong direction.
I said nothing and rode on. If he was I a car he'd probably be yelling at me to get off the road.
I suspect he was "in the zone" on his early morning run and had simply failed to watch where he was going. Yes, legally I am
wrong for being on the footpath, even at the sedate pace I was at, but the legal alternative was to cross into the far right lane of a 70km/h zone, going uphill for 400m and try to reach the right hand turn bay at the top before getting run over by a b-double truck.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Tomca74 wrote:I nominate myself for dumb cyclist today. While on my commute an impatient driver rammed my rear wheel causing a moment then drove on the grass and went around me. Dumb for chasing him down and assaulting him a little. Police have done nothing with the last 3 times I been hit so did my own personal enforcement.

I notified police I was involved in a hit and run and they told me they weren't interested as no one was seriously injured.
"Oh I can assure you officer... he was seriously injured by the time I had finished with him."

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Some kid at Sydney University was flying though Eastern Ave, a very crowded walkway, on his single speed. He passed real close to me from behind, only to proceed onwards at prob 30km/h, continually swerving and turning to pass by walkers. I really am amazed how he didn't hit anyone.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 pm

This idiot

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=679756298750680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 pm

wellington_street wrote:This idiot

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=679756298750680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
was just about to post this, that cyclist is deadset moron. I wouldve been on the horn like crazy if i was the driver, kudos to him for avoiding the cyclist.

only takes one dumb cyclist to generate the hate.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:40 pm

jaseyjase wrote:

was just about to post this, that cyclist is deadset moron. I wouldve been on the horn like crazy if i was the driver, kudos to him for avoiding the cyclist.

While I agree that this tool is a future organ donor at the very least, in the interests of balance, could Aushiker jump in and link the dozen or so similar events endangering his life he has recorded in his time on two wheels?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 pm

jaseyjase wrote:

Before we go condemning the cyclist too much can I ask one question. Why did the driver of this motor vehicle change lanes during their passage through the roundabout? I would suggest the cyclist may have glanced right and seen the vehicle with a right-turn blinker on. in the right lane. The cyclist was thus clear to pass thorugh in the left lane, giving way to the motor vehicle.

When changing lanes within a roundabout a vehicle must give way to other vehicles. Clearly the dash-cam operator was in the wrong.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Gonna argue that one Pete, I reckon carman intended to go straight and the riders effort forced his unorthodox maneuvre.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:55 pm

OK, I see now that was the case. In that case the cyclist is a space cadet :o

The abusive garbage on that Dash-cam page is nothing short of pond-scum chatterings though. Glad I don't hang out there.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:58 am

encountered mr paranoid cyclist last night. pulled in behind him in a queue of traffic, filling the gap he had created between cars. he starts glancing at me in his handlebar mirror - it's ok buddy, i'm not going to bite! i was actually riding with my wife and after we took off was having a laugh with her about something unrelated. mr paranoid turns his head slightly and yells "____ OFF!" just before we peel off in another direction. stay vigilant, we're all talking about you buddy :)

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:20 am

jules21 wrote:encountered mr paranoid cyclist last night. pulled in behind him in a queue of traffic, filling the gap he had created between cars.
How odd. I get pissed off when another cyclist pulls in front of me, but behind?!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote:While I agree that this tool is a future organ donor at the very least, in the interests of balance, could Aushiker jump in and link the dozen or so similar events endangering his life he has recorded in his time on two wheels?
:mrgreen: Oh yeah, lovvvvveeeeee roundabouts :)

Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:01 pm

jules21 wrote:encountered mr paranoid cyclist last night. pulled in behind him in a queue of traffic, filling the gap he had created between cars. he starts glancing at me in his handlebar mirror - it's ok buddy, i'm not going to bite! i was actually riding with my wife and after we took off was having a laugh with her about something unrelated. mr paranoid turns his head slightly and yells "____ OFF!" just before we peel off in another direction. stay vigilant, we're all talking about you buddy :)
They all seem to be staring at me in my pink gloves... or am I just being paranoid?

:P

stretts

Postby stretts » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Saw a doozy yesterday riding in town - but i'd put it more down to poor road design and novice rider morn than stupidity.

Was at the rundle st/pultney st intersection (see picture below)

Young cyclist was traveling toward the bike box, undertaking the banked up cars (both car lanes can turn left, only the right lane can turn right) - unfortunately the lights went green whilst the cyclist was filtering, double unfortunately she intended to turn right (in front of the already turning left cars) which resulted in her cutting two cars off and narrowly avoiding a nasty crash.

Like I said, pretty poor road design - something needs to change here as I've seen this happen a couple of times. The bike box works a treat if you get there while the lights are red. If I was turning right I would have claimed the lane and waited back in the cue of cars, for my own safety.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 pm

stretts wrote:Like I said, pretty poor road design - something needs to change here as I've seen this happen a couple of times. The bike box works a treat if you get there while the lights are red. If I was turning right I would have claimed the lane and waited back in the cue of cars, for my own safety.
cyclist only lights in the sequence?

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:54 pm

il padrone wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:

Before we go condemning the cyclist too much can I ask one question. Why did the driver of this motor vehicle change lanes during their passage through the roundabout? I would suggest the cyclist may have glanced right and seen the vehicle with a right-turn blinker on. in the right lane. The cyclist was thus clear to pass thorugh in the left lane, giving way to the motor vehicle.

When changing lanes within a roundabout a vehicle must give way to other vehicles. Clearly the dash-cam operator was in the wrong.
Not sure who was in the wrong but that Facebook site is insane - the printed language on it is disgraceful.
Beyond belief that that sort of BS language is acceptable in 2014.

stretts

Postby stretts » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:12 pm

jasonc wrote:
stretts wrote:Like I said, pretty poor road design - something needs to change here as I've seen this happen a couple of times. The bike box works a treat if you get there while the lights are red. If I was turning right I would have claimed the lane and waited back in the cue of cars, for my own safety.
cyclist only lights in the sequence?
I thought about that after the incident - its a good idea, but would not solve the problem I think. It is a situation where a cyclist really has to act like a car and merge to the right lane if they want to turn right - unfortunately the green bike lane directs cyclists to the left.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:31 pm

il padrone wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:

Il Padrone- wrong- the driver did not change lanes- he was in the right hand lane throughout the round about- line markings indicate the driver can drive straight through and as I am a semi local (live 6km away and ride/drive here frequently) this roundabout is fast, open and with lots of traffic (bicycles and cars) that needs more care than shown in the video by the cyclist, regardless of what the driver indicated (he is supposed to indicate right into the roundabout then indicate left when leaving the roundabout, at least in WA. The cyclist did not give way to traffic already on the roundabout.
Why is it always that certain people always apportion blame instantly to the opposition (here to the driver who did nothing wrong) or on comments re Summernights elsewhere on to Summernight. Simply cyclists do stupid/illegal/dangerous things and so do drivers- get over it.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:04 pm

CXCommuter wrote: Il Padrone- wrong.
Suggest you read the post from Il Padrone at the top of this page... :D :D :D

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 1#p1104021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:19 pm

jules21 wrote:encountered mr paranoid cyclist last night. pulled in behind him in a queue of traffic, filling the gap he had created between cars. he starts glancing at me in his handlebar mirror - it's ok buddy, i'm not going to bite! i was actually riding with my wife and after we took off was having a laugh with her about something unrelated. mr paranoid turns his head slightly and yells "____ OFF!" just before we peel off in another direction. stay vigilant, we're all talking about you buddy :)
Some people are nuts. :shock: