Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

Paul B

Re: Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Perfect conditions for riding ... temperature just right and very little wind :-) Three riders today, Scott, Andrew T and me. Course took us through Lewisham, Sorell, Sharkpoint Rd to Midway Point, onto Cambridge and around the Seven Mile Beach TT course. I was nearly wiped out by a moron motorist at the airport roundabout who decided to SUDDENLY, and unnecessarily stop to give way to a taxi. A quick swerve manoeuvre on my part to avoid rear ending him followed by a quick overtake and through the roundabout I went, taxi horn blasting though I had heaps of time and space.

It was a quick ride today, must be all the outings with the Richmond and Cremorne boys... 30kph avg speed for the 66kms. Having said that, this particular course lends itself to that type of ride as opposed to the usual journeys which have a few hills, though Andrew must have left his fast legs at Richmond as he managed to get spat out the back a few times... we waited, he got back on... all good.

Coffee at the bakery as usual... Master 6 passed by on his way to Sorell (hopefully he will be back next week)... Andrew and I plotted a ride for tomorrow... and overall we basked in the satisfaction of having pushed hard for a really good ride. Great to have Scott on board again, and hopefully, next week might see a new face or two join us.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Warning! warning!

PaulB, your territory has been invaded. At 11.40am I saw about 8 cyclists cruising down east Carlton Beach Rd. They were a fairly relaxed looking bunch, several complete with pannier bags.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Dodges Ferry Bakery pannier ride ???

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Well no Master6 again... looks like he really has given away the bunch rides. Bummer, as Jeff has been an integral member of our tiny cohort.

So it was Andrew T and myself today... and with no other riders to consider, we set off with an open plan regarding distance, and a plan to attack the Sugarloaf climb :-)

Starting at the bakery we headed off to Sugarloaf, and a crack at global fame. I had not climbed this hill in months and once the ascent began I realised why. Essentially, we gave our all and reaped the rewards accordingly. I moved up from 22nd position to 3rd, whilst Andrew improved to 6th spot... even though there was only one second separating us !!!
I was smashed by the effort and didn't fully recover till just before Sorell.

It was headwind deluxe today and we pushed through down Sharkpoint to Brinktop and along the highway to Fingerpost... still no real relief but the road into Richmond was the usual high speed blast. After 57 kms and coffee at Richmond (which we don't usually do until the return to Dodges), we decided to head out in the direction we figured would provide the best wind conditions. So back to Fingerpost we headed. As we proceeded along Richmond Rd, Andrew spotted a lone rider about a km ahead... and duly proceeded to chase him down. Guess who ?? Rob Warren, so two became three and we enjoyed the benefit of the third man plus the more favourable wind direction once we hit Fingerpost. From there we retraced our tire tracks to Sorell and returned to Dodges Ferry via Lewisham. 105 ks... enough for today and looking forward to the ride with PMM man et al. from Cornelian Bay in the morning.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:00 pm

MIDWAY POINT RIDE:

While not a ride in it's own right, it is an opportunity to hook up with the Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride (DFBTR). The DFBTR departs at 9.00 am each Thursday morning and sometimes passes through Midway Point. If it were known prior to the commencement of the ride, interested riders could link up with the Dodges Bunch. About 9.45 at a guess and riders could make their interest known by posting here on the DFBTR thread or by texting me directly.

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:00 am

As the throngs of DFBTR supporters hang for an update, I feel compelled to contribute at least something, from a distance, and a position distant:-

"The recalcitrant Master6 rode alone, leaving Carlton at 7.30am, and dawdled into the Sorell Mens Shed at 8.15 , or thereabouts. Stravaless of course. Coffee at the Mens Shed is a bottomless cup, can be had four days per week, at the basement price of $2 per week. Cheaper coffee cannot be found anywhere. Worse coffee would kill!
Oh for a coffee machine at the Mens Shed :roll: :roll: :roll:
Steel cutting, drilling, welding, more coffee, and back through Dodges , where there is no sign of PaulB or his clan, and Master 6 made it home by the promised 12.30pm for her promised home made sausage rolls"

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:36 am

With Andrew T away that leaves myself as the only regular rider... small bunch :-) I turned up to the bakery at 9.00 and saw no other riders... thus, I went straight home.

I had been planning to take a few days off the bike as an extended recovery and that is what I am doing at the moment. Andrew is away next week as well so hopefully one of our occasional riders will show up.

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:52 pm

At this time, I have no commitments that will prevent me from joining you on Thursday. Unavailable last week due to a meeting at work. Rode to Sandy Bay, meeting cancelled so I completed a round trip of 122 kms, Sorell to Sorell.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:37 pm

Was feeling a little off colour today and decided not to ride... however, given that I am the dictator, I have responsibilities, so I drove down to the bakery to see if anyone had shown up so I could give my apology. And ... Scott was there waiting :-) So I wound down the window and advised that I would be back in 10 minutes, on the bike and ready to go !!!

So what was intended to be a recovery ride after yesterday's race turned out to be a good solid hitout. The course for the day took us to Sorell, over the causeway and around Seven Mile Beach through to Cambridge and back to Dodges via lewisham. A quick coffee... short blast home and then it started raining !!! Perfect.

Can't wait for next week :-)

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Spy sighted Redheeler inflicting pain on PaulB on the eastern climb from Iron Creek this morning.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:43 pm

ah yes... pain... don't remind me. Thankfully Red Heeler showed up today otherwise it would have been yours truly and nobody. Last week it was Scott... so all good, as long as one other person shows up it is a peloton :-)

Anyhow... the aforementioned Red Heeler and myself took it pretty easy today... a search of another thread speaks to that if you want to know. So through Lewisham, Sorell, Shark Point, Penna, Brinktop to the hwy and up to Fingerpost. Onto Richmond, back over Brinktop and back the way we came through to Dodges... We passed the "King of the road crew" on the way (another thread speaks to that too :-) )

Spotted Jeff Brown riding into Sorell... made it back to Dodges... decided against coffee in favour of Carlton Beach Rd laps instead... all up a very satisfactory 90 kms.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:31 pm

PaulB, your journalistic talents are running free;

Here a thread,

There a thread

Everywhere a...............I.m not as poet :cry:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Well Jeff, I do have a HECS debt to justify you know.

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Unfortunately a Uni degree or two comes with a hefty price tag.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:56 am

I checked my emails this morning, and found this message:-

"Nice! anita gordon is following you on Strava
Hey Jeff,

Whoa, you're kind of a big deal! anita gordon is now following you on Strava. Click to follow anita gordon back. Let's show her what you can do.
Go get 'em.
-Your friends at Strava"

What can I say? There was a time when this would have been super exciting news, but now it just makes me feel guilty. Anita is following me? I hope she knows where I am going, because I have little idea. :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Arrived at the bakery to find no other riders... and then Red Heeler appeared. Disappointed that I missed a good RBWR yesterday, the decision was made to head to the top of Black Charlies... and we did. Back to Dodges, Anita got a cramp... no stopping for coffee and I did a few loops around Carlton Beach. Perfect day !!!

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 pm

It's a reasonably small car park at the Dodges Ferry bakery but it was big enough to hold the assembled masses for today's DFBTR. At the allotted time the peleton took off with both of us looking at a ride to and around Primrose, up sugarloaf, through Sorrel to Fingerpost and a quiet coffee in Richmond. Back over Brinktop and through Sorell and Lewisham to finish at the bakery. 95kms was enough for me with the Dictator heading off to up his km count for the day. A glorious day for a ride.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Move over William and Kath. We have Royalty in Dodges /Carlton. We bow to the two Dictators. :D

master6

Postby master6 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:10 pm

DFBTR stars, redheeler and paulB have been seen putting many miles into the legs during the last fortnight. Rain and low temperatures have been no problem to them; apparently strava has the same affect as a strong painkiller, and I fear that both of them have been taking the maximum permitted dosage.

As they say:-

"Go redheeler, GO!"

and

"F&%$#^%$#&^% you paulb, slow down!!!!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Actually, as for me, the last fortnight has seen a decline in hours on the bike... must be a change of season phenomena. Hopefully though that will turn around soon and it will be business as usual. You are right about Strava though. It is a great motivator !!!

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Thu May 08, 2014 11:51 am

So, cycling is my drug of addiction :D :D , I need my daily fix of 60+ kms, on average 400 kms a week. It's healthy and a great way of keeping fit. :D :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:51 pm

DFBTR lives on :D "Fragmented " might be the word.

No doubt redheeler consumed the daily dose again today. "Go redheeler" I hear.

PaulB no doubt pounded the pavement somewhere today.

Your conscientious scribe pedalled into the Mens Shed (again). Cheap coffee, but not good :cry:

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Fri May 09, 2014 11:24 am

Yes, I did master6. :D :D 72kms yesterday and the same again today, only in different directions. :D
It may be cold but it's brilliant weather for being out on the bike. Just add overshoes, another jacket and winter gloves. :D
:D Your 32kms to the shed and back is a good way of staying fit, due to the few hills either way. :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Not sure how all that relates to the DFBTR.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Paul B wrote:Not sure how all that relates to the DFBTR.
Can you be more specific about "all that" please? (I note that you are posting in the evening PaulB. Perhaps you would be better in bed , with posts restricted to the "sensible hours")

:lol: