Weight loss keeping it simple

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Weight loss keeping it simple

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Every so often someone, usually a newbie posts about loosing weight as a cyclist.

We eagerly rush to provide the poster lots of useful information, most of it correct. BUT in a our eagerness to help, we tend to make it complex and unfortunately many of the posters will find this complexity intimidating. Unfortunately many who find things complex just give up and this is not good.

Soooo what can we do to make the advice simpler and less confronting?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

matagi

Re: Weight loss keeping it simple

Postby matagi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Can't get much simpler than that.

Although I would probably modify it to: Eat fresh food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

mick243

Postby mick243 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Even simpler...

Eat less, move more.

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm

For me the type, technacilitys of, and science behind any weight loss program is largly irrelevant. Finding some way of sticking to any program is all that matters and unfortunatly i dont think anyone has cracked a one size all solution to that nut yet. Diets dont work over the long term for the vast majority of us. You have to find some way of lifestyle/diet change that you can stick to for enough time to make it habit.
Tom

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:10 pm

the reason it gets complex is because most of the advice is based on anecdote.

to make less complex....simple, don't give anecdotal advice.

Constantheadwind

Postby Constantheadwind » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Commitment.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Whole food vegan.

If you can do it for 3 weeks, then you've changed your habits and should be able to continue indefinitely.

Lost about 13.5Kg or 30 lb over the past 6 months or so. From BMI 27.4 to 22.9. Waist from 90 to 82cm.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:09 am

mick243 wrote:Even simpler...

Eat less, move more.
Yep, that is perfect :)

everything else is fluff.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Stop eating processed food. This will cut grain and sugar consumption

Shop around the outside of the supermarket - meat, fish, fruit, veges, dairy.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:40 am

Nobody wrote:Whole food vegan.

If you can do it for 3 weeks, then you've changed your habits and should be able to continue indefinitely.

Lost about 13.5Kg or 30 lb over the past 6 months or so. From BMI 27.4 to 22.9. Waist from 90 to 82cm.
Working on it, gone vegetarian and am raw vegan till dinner (with the inclusion of coffee- no one will take that from me, no one).

Food options is my challenge as I am slowly trying different meals for breakfast, lunch and snacks.

So far I am a fruit breakfast, usually a couple of bananas and a large fruit salad.
Morning and afternoon snacks, might consist of a couple of apples or dates and a handful of trail mix.
Lunch is trick at the moment, I was trying another fruit salad but that means I was just fruit all day and also a bit boring. Luckily the wife has come to the party and did up a broccoli salad which was pretty nice.

Evening meals are vegetarian rather than vegan, as SWMBO said no to vegan but is willing to compromise and do vegetarian dinners. She hasn't actually gone vegetarian and might have lunch with meat but is willing to do it for dinner. Dinners consist of a egg plant lasagne, a vegetarian curry and rice, vegetarian pad thai.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:10 am

mick243 wrote:Even simpler...
Eat less, move more.
Errr... Is there really anything more to say after this?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:59 am

moosterbounce wrote:Stop eating processed food. This will cut grain and sugar consumption

+1.

And if you venture into a supermarket, watch what the fat dudes put in their trolley. Take it
out of yours.

Same goes for restaurants and cafe's - don't order what the fat dudes order.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

mick243

Postby mick243 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:02 am

Not sure who I'm quoting, but I saw it in one of the threads around here...

"Throw your Big Mac in the bin, and go ride your bike"

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:47 am

mick243 wrote:Not sure who I'm quoting, but I saw it in one of the threads around here...

"Throw your Big Mac in the bin, and go ride your bike"
Thank god you didn't say Whopper- otherwise I might cry at the waste- Actually cannot remember last time I had Hungry McDonalds

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:54 am

Dr Rudi says it best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-jy3OtZAss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Just ride heaps and eat plenty of the right stuff. You don't have to go vegan, just eat a balanced diet that keeps you well fueled up and ride a lot.

When I mean a lot, I'm talking 400+km/week. My last week was 535km and this week is 513km.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Part of the challenge is in managing the feelings of hunger, which is why so many fail to achieve their goals. It is not a nice place to be, and is not really sustainable in the long term.

So eat less, ride more - while mathematically 100% correct :) - is perhaps not so helpful.

Many of those who suffer weight problems have other baggage (eg, poor impulse control, reflected also in the propensity many I see have for smoking, and dysmorphia, persuading themselves that the blob they see in the mirror isn't so bad, really).

What can we do to help keep it simple for them?

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:12 pm

wombatK wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Stop eating processed food. This will cut grain and sugar consumption

+1.

And if you venture into a supermarket, watch what the fat dudes put in their trolley. Take it
out of yours.

Same goes for restaurants and cafe's - don't order what the fat dudes order.

Cheers
at restaurant, order an entree. no main, no dessert. order a second entree if still hungry.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:Just ride heaps and eat plenty of the right stuff. You don't have to go vegan, just eat a balanced diet that keeps you well fueled up and ride a lot.

When I mean a lot, I'm talking 400+km/week. My last week was 535km and this week is 513km.
As nice as that sounds, what happens if you don't have the time, ability and/or inclination to ride 400Km/week?
trailgumby wrote:So eat less, ride more - while mathematically 100% correct :) - is perhaps not so helpful.
+1.
trailgumby wrote:What can we do to help keep it simple for them?
All you can eat salad and vegies. :mrgreen:
twowheels wrote:at restaurant, order an entree. no main, no dessert. order a second entree if still hungry.
Or better still, don't go to the restaurant.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:17 pm

g-boaf wrote:Just ride heaps and eat plenty of the right stuff. You don't have to go vegan, .
There are other reasons to go vegan than just weight loss. Weight loss is a benefit of choosing to not support bad farming practice.

The more I read and view about the way some animals are treated by food producers the more towards the vegetarian and vegan practice I lean.

I also discovered today stevo from jackass has gone vegetarian now. He has also apparently been clean of booze and drugs for the last 12months.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:Just ride heaps and eat plenty of the right stuff. You don't have to go vegan, just eat a balanced diet that keeps you well fueled up and ride a lot.

That's a hell of a lot of kms. I don't limit what I eat at all and find ~200km per week, mostly reasonably intense, is enough to tip the scales noticeably toward the right end of the weight equilibrium. If I'm really naughty with my food and booze I don't lose any weight. If I eat a normal balanced diet I lose between 300-500g in a week.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Nobody wrote:

As nice as that sounds, what happens if you don't have the time, ability and/or inclination to ride 400Km/week?
What's your health worth to you? There is a point where you just need to try to make changes and look after yourself. I do my rides late at night or very early in the morning. If you can do 100+km rides (eg 4x 125km), that makes it easier.

Ability comes from working up to it and increasing the distance gradually and the mindset comes from that also. I didn't have the ability to do this amount of riding either, but I do now. You just have to work at it.

For me, it balances not being particularly vigilant with eating the most appropriate things all week. And that amount of riding has become habit.

Some weeks it'll be less, others it will be 500.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 pm

There is a point where you just need to try to make changes and look after yourself.
Spoken by someone without kids, maybe? ;)
It's hard enough to get 3 1-hr rides a week when you're running on 4-5 broken hours' sleep a night and working a FT job.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 pm

lobstermash wrote: That's a hell of a lot of kms. I don't limit what I eat at all and find ~200km per week,.
The more km's you do on the bike, the less time you sit on the couch stuffing yourself with snacks to
relieve the boredom of staring at life on screens. So high bike km's can be limiting what you eat,
without you even noticing. No better way to do it, really.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

phineas

Postby phineas » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:05 pm

What really matters? Distance, or time on the bike?

How much time on the bike per week does one need to spend to see some significant fitness/weight change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk