2014 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

AndreB1972

Re: 2014 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby AndreB1972 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:57 am

poohkies wrote: Is this directed towards me doing extra km last week? As I don't train for anything and 90% of my rides are to work etc. but I put it this way, if someone normal commute is 10km and they do 30 how is this different to me adding the extra Km's to 70 to mine!
Sorry Poohkies - was not directly aimed at you - I didn't intend to upset anyone. Jason and Gretaboy have set up the rules based on what they think is fair, and I'll go with that.

:( I went and got sucked in by the stupid argument that every commuting challenge has at some stage. I'll shut up and go riding now...

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:43 am

AndreB1972 wrote:
poohkies wrote: Is this directed towards me doing extra km last week? As I don't train for anything and 90% of my rides are to work etc. but I put it this way, if someone normal commute is 10km and they do 30 how is this different to me adding the extra Km's to 70 to mine!
Sorry Poohkies - was not directly aimed at you - I didn't intend to upset anyone. Jason and Gretaboy have set up the rules based on what they think is fair, and I'll go with that.

:( I went and got sucked in by the stupid argument that every commuting challenge has at some stage. I'll shut up and go riding now...

no problems Andre, just you used 3 things that happened last week to me! rain (and at 2:30 in the morning with the BOM site saying there was rain all over brisbane, Im not riding in the wee hours with that much rain coming down) 2 yes my rides are all over the place I work Shift work, and sometimes I just can't ride, knacked, no sleep for 2 days, I'm on my feet at work all shift, walking back and forth so my legs don't get a rest, So I will have a brake for a few days as per anyone who wants there legs to recover, If i can add an extra distance or do part of the river loop back and forth I will! I seriously didn't realise it was such a competaitive thing, I thought it was more to get people riding more and fitter in turn getting other people riding etc! in turn more people riding / commuting to work, better conditions for everyone! My wife is now going to hopefully add extra distance to her commute in the morning as she's knocked nearly 10 minutes off it in the last 2 months

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:51 am

does that mean mrs poohkies finally gets a new bike?

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:01 pm

She down to 34 minutes Jason! She was wrapped she knocked 2 mins of her best time this morning! I recon in the next couple of weeks she'll hit the half hour mark and yes means I'll have to get her a road bike :)

westab

Postby westab » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:35 am

poohkies wrote:She down to 34 minutes Jason! She was wrapped she knocked 2 mins of her best time this morning! I recon in the next couple of weeks she'll hit the half hour mark and yes means I'll have to get her a road bike :)
n+2 = make sure you have a new one to match. :mrgreen:

Hey might not work but worth a try.

Back outside the top ten now - Till the upload next Monday. Looking forward to getting the trailer with the extra kms that may lead to.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

westab

Postby westab » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Not many kms last week due to the rain - only 98 - looged in the km and am back up to 10th again but am not catching any of those in front of me.

The good news is the trailer has arrived - will be interesting to see how it goes riding with it.

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 pm

You should be able to take my spot (9th). I'm on the road for the next few weeks (Top End and Pilbara).. if you wimp out in the rain I'll have you during winter ;)

westab

Postby westab » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 am

Jonno would love to wimp out in the rain - one problem I would have to quit my job. I ride to work and don't have a car. The missed kms are due to no Little A's (about to end anyway) and soccer being cancelled.

Jonno hope you have the chance to take your bike with you - what would it be like riding in those areas around sun up?

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:05 pm

I'd become the human puddle.. riding around on mine sites would surely raise a few eyebrows with the safety officers!

westab

Postby westab » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 am

Jonno wrote:I'd become the human puddle.. riding around on mine sites would surely raise a few eyebrows with the safety officers!
Bummer - that's no good. I was hoping you were staying in a town but that does depend on the mine site.

This week still going slow but am have missed large amounts of the rain. Had to drive to Homebush in Sydney this morning to pick up my sons birthday present for tomorrow. After driving in traffic (the radio said it was light :roll: ) I was glad to get home and give the car back to Mrs Westab and ride to work. I don't know how people do that everyday it's insane that they don't know how much fun riding to and from work is. :D Makes me appreciate my commute so much more. :mrgreen:

Releng

Postby Releng » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi, I am currently enjoying the challenge of riding to work everyday. I seem to be doing it a little easier at the moment after struggling through January. I guess I am getting fitter, I know I am losing weight.
Can I have a clarification on the rules as I do not want to do the wrong thing?
I know I can include trips to work, and trips to the shops (like this morning to buy some socks). I am off to a barbie tomorrow with the extended family and I will ride and the wife and kids will be in the car. Mt Nelson signal station for those that know hobart, it is a challenging climb that has a great view at the end. So if I ride up there, have lunch and ride home again can I include the Ks on the commuting challenge. I need the Ks to keep in touch with the top 3 who are disappearing off into the distance.

Cheers,
Mick

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi, all 2014 participants - be afraid, very afraid :mrgreen:
Gretaboy is back, and will continue to make his mark on the front page of the challenge. Here's the reasoning:
gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:I was just looking at the Endomondo challenge, and gretaboy is still on the front page, and, importantly, back on a bike for his rehab.
This got me thinking along the lines:
- gretaboy's job at this point is to make a full recovery
- as part of the journey to fulfill that job, gretaboy is using a bike to achieve that purpose
- therefore, this journey should be considered a commute and should be logged on the Endomondo challenge
- and yes, it replaces a car journey :wink:

I would bet that you'd stay on the front page, gretaboy! Are you up for it?
Jason, as the custodian of the challenge this year, would this be permissible?

Haha up for it....thats like a red rag to a bull

my ocd would kick in if this would happen, especially if I get the approval to ride the recumbent by myself by the rehab staff
Jason responded that this is a no-brainer, so expect gretaboy's kms to go up rapidly! :)

Gretaboy, fire up that 'bent! :wink:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Releng wrote:So if I ride up there, have lunch and ride home again can I include the Ks on the commuting challenge
it's a grey area. if it was going to be a regular occurrence I may crack it. TW includes them. Traveling in the same direction and same time as a car, I see more as recreation

Releng

Postby Releng » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:09 am

Thanks for the reply Jason, i will not include today's ride in the commuting total.
A reasonable NE wind should help me up the hill. And it is not a bad hill: 4.6K climbing 270M at5.7% average.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Just updated my riding stats and have moved up one spot ...only a few hundred behind westab now...might set myself a goal of running him down lol

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 pm

that's a fair whack gretaboy. I wish you luck

It seems Andre doesn't like me smelling his butt and and put the pedal down a bit harder this week. I (somehow) continue to hold TW off. It's close enough that it'll probably all depend on who has the most leave booked

westab

Postby westab » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Everyone Gretaboy is back WOW - last few months 477.23km - today 501.43km (24.2 km).

Not bad for a bloke who "may not walk again" now he is riding.

Mate I will be honoured to be passed by you - just don't expect me to roll over :lol:

and just remeber the view on a bent from behind is never good :lol: - so if you want me come and get me :!: :mrgreen:

mate just trying to add some incentive - not like you need it.

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:48 pm

jasonc wrote: It's close enough that it'll probably all depend on who has the most leave booked
Yip.. the gap is not even a week's commuting yet, so no real breathing room for anyone yet :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Don't know what Andre is doing (maybe uploading weekly?) but I'm currently only 60kms behind him. Andre?

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 am

Went racing yesterday, so took a few days off last week to let the legs recover a bit...

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 am

I'm dying, havn't ridden much at all the last few weeks

westab

Postby westab » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:37 pm

GRRR just checked Endomondo for the first time this week and I have been bumped down to 11th. :evil:
No Good so it is looking nice outside and I am planning to leave work on time tonight and pick up a BBQ chicken on the way home - I will be finding the Red Lea as far away from home as my old legs will carry me.

Also planning to repair the Old Repco frame (cracked the drive side rear dropout) - I realy like the old girl so she is getting new dropouts brazed in. Should be fun. I hope to have her up and going again next month.

Enjoy riding friends as the temperature this time of year is just great - have a good weekend.

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 pm

Had the week in the office to knock you back ;)

Don't worry, I'm away again next week!

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:50 am

westab wrote:GRRR just checked Endomondo for the first time this week and I have been bumped down to 11th. :evil:
I was dreading this weeks upload, only four lousy rides, but still holding my position in the pack, which is still a lot further down from where I was last year. Clearly some machines have joined the challenge this year!

Probably have another low km week next week due to ongoing chauffeur duties, but after that it should be clear sailing through to late November.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:12 am

Ox - I hope that is becuase your wifes knee has healed. Hope it continues mate; good on you for looking after her.

Good ride in this morning - looking forward to a quick ride home without the storm like yesterday. 74mm at my house yesterday, it was raining so hard last night that it stung any exposed skin. But it was still good riding weather because it sure was better than sitting in the car park that was Sunnyholt road (where my work is).