Anthem X 29er 1 v Anthem x Advance 29er 1

mudgee.garry

Postby mudgee.garry » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi all,

Looking at at new MTB for use in adventure racing, 24hr & 48hr racing with say a thrid fo that on the bike. I like the componet spec better of the X Advance 29er 1, but a little worried about carbon frame, thinking that Alloy frame of the X 29er 1, might be tougher, more durable. There does not appear to be a Anthem X 29er 0 for 2014. On the plus side $1000 to be saved with the X 29er 1, anyone have an idea of weight difference between these two?

Any way, keen for some of your thoughts.

Thanks
Garry

magilla0_2

Re: Anthem X 29er 1 v Anthem x Advance 29er 1

Postby magilla0_2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:59 am

I had an Advanced X 29er, loved it, rode well and was specced pretty good for the price. As for its toughness Ive ridden it heaps at the Youies and Mount Buller and never had any issues. You can if you are worried get a frame skin.
Dont forget that Giant has a life time warranty on the frames too

mudgee.garry

Postby mudgee.garry » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks Magilla

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:00 pm

I've heard of a few alloy frames failing at the top tube in front of the seat tube. None so far of the carbon frame.

That may be because that alloy ones far outnumber them, but Giants good reputation for dealing with such issues in favour of the customer should give you good confidence.

I've had a few rides on the alloy version. I was impressed.

Lighter than the reasonably light 26er I was riding at the time.

Ultimately I went with a Scalpel as it was better value - much lighter for the same coin - and I could get a test ride on the frame size and wheel size I preferred. And it has shorter chainstays for better steering response and easier to loft front wheel.

I wouldn't necessarily go the same way today though.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:56 am

If you have the coin for the carbon frame - I say go for it!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

pedaldancer

Postby pedaldancer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Giant was awesome when I had an issue with my Anthem carbon frame. Small issue with the top tube, got a brand new 2014 frame with all parts transferred over. Friend had a similar experience with his broken aluminium Anthem frame, which snapped where the top tube meets the down tube. Love the carbon ride, even at 105kg.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 pm

I have a 2013 Anthem Advanced 1 29er. It's a great bike. It's fast, efficient and very stable. The XT gear is just perfect. Even the giant wheels are pretty good.
I have however cracked a frame after about 13 months. It developed a crack where the top tube meets the seat tube. It never broke and was replaced with a 2014 frame without question. I weigh 80kg and only ride xc and am a bit of a pussy. No jumps or big drops.
I put it down to bad luck and don't expect further trouble. Giants warranty service was brilliant. No frames were available in Australia so they sent out a new bike to my lbs and they stripped it and swapped it all over.
A mate of mine waited 7 months for another brand to replace his frame with their "lifetime" warranty. What a joke.
I'd buy another Giant in a heartbeat.

Colonial Marine

Postby Colonial Marine » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:39 am

I bought a 2014 Anthem X 29er 1 about a month ago and have ridden about 700km since then. Am very happy with it, and touch wood so far no cracks. It was in my price bracket as I just cannot afford anything more $$$$$. LBS filled me with a lot of confidence when talking about warranty.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:22 am

SuperSix wrote:Giants warranty service was brilliant. No frames were available in Australia so they sent out a new bike to my lbs and they stripped it and swapped it all over.
A mate of mine waited 7 months for another brand to replace his frame with their "lifetime" warranty. What a joke.
^^^^This.

Note to Cannondale. This is how you build brand loyalty, both with the customer and the bike shop who is the abassador for your product to the public.

I'm not so sure what it does for the reputation of your brand and its resale value in the second hand market.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:34 pm

trailgumby wrote:
SuperSix wrote:Giants warranty service was brilliant. No frames were available in Australia so they sent out a new bike to my lbs and they stripped it and swapped it all over.
^^^^This.

Note to Cannondale. This is how you build brand loyalty, both with the customer and the bike shop who is the abassador for your product to the public.

I'm not so sure what it does for the reputation of your brand and its resale value in the second hand market.

Bang on. How did you know it was Cannondale?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24 am

I didn't.

But they have a certain reputation and I know of at least 3 bike shops in my locale who have dropped their Cannonsale agency. Bike Addiction, Manly Cycles, and Belrose Cycles.

I had a riding buddy get the same runaround with a frame failure. He now rides for Specialized. I have another buddy who has had multiple failures but I am coming to the view he is mechanically inept despite being a very quick rider. I'm glad he hasn't yet asked to borrow anything.

Finally, while they did the right thing by me with a suspension fork that wasn't performing properly, they were pernickety about it. They could do with some training in how to deal with customers.

I hope Monza Imports is better, now that they have the agency.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:59 am

trailgumby wrote:
I hope Monza Imports is better, now that they have the agency.
Wow. That's huge. How long has that been the case? Monza are very aggressive in the marketplace. I would expect them to really grow the brand. They have the backing to squash those that get in their way though.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:24 am

Not sure. It was an article on the front page of this site very recently.