MTB tyre pressures

singlespeedscott

Re: MTB tyre pressures

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:27 pm

It's has been shown that latex tubes perform no better then standard butyl tubes.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:01 pm

I have no experience with latex tubes. Just that some roadie racing types swear by them for better grip and rolling resistance.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

alrsv1

Postby alrsv1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 am

This guide might be of use. It's for tubeless tyres though:

http://www.mbaction.com/Main/News/Mount ... -4765.aspx
1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:02 pm

m@ wrote:
chriscole wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

I think you've effectively convinced me to stick with tubes and normal tyres for the time being. :-)
Nice going guys! :roll: :wink:

Now, I thought the stock RRs on my Anthem were labelled UST, but apparently not - possibly I was bamboozled by Schwalbe's EVO label.

Either way though, I believe the EVO model has SnakeSkin sidewalls... I rode them quite a bit before going tubeless and they did have some pinholes but still sealed up almost instantly and didn't lose any pressure after the first 24 hours.

I've since ridden them to death and replaced with Nobby Nic/RR EVOs, which were installed tubeless from new with no noticeable loss of pressure at all. So if the OP has EVO/SnakeSkin tyres - which are supplied as stock on some Giants - from my experience he has little to lose by going tubeless.

In the end I asked them to take the Racing Ralphs off the bike, and have gone tubeless with some Maxxis tyres... Experimenting with different pressures while tootling around the trails at Stromlo, and thus far am immensely impressed with the puncture resistance (including some sidewall insults that should have shredded things, but didn't).

magilla0_2

Postby magilla0_2 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:39 am

Maxxis Sidewalls do tend to hold up a bit better. I have a Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front of my trance , but have replaced Rock Razor on the back with a Maxxs Ardent 2.4. have been running the Schwalbes at 25, will see how the Ardent Goes with that. I weigh 93kg and haven't had any punctures or pinch flats on those pressure
Mt Buller this weekend so will get a good testing.......noice