You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

PatrickB

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby PatrickB » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Bought this Cecil Walker today. Am hoping to restore it. comments appreciated

munga

Postby munga » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 pm

i've got box of old comments down under my workbench. you're welcome to them if you want to come get them yourself (no post).

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:11 pm

munga wrote:i've got box of old comments down under my workbench. you're welcome to them if you want to come get them yourself (no post).
PMSL :) .

I reckon it'd make a good old jigger, at the very least it's got square taper cranks, not those accursed cotter pin things.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:48 pm

Another Cecil walker. Bought with a mix of 7 speed shimano gears and modolo brakes. Moved the 7 speed stuff. Kept the modolo brakes, found my fixie wheels and cranks and voila! Afternoon fixie. Its bloody huge though, I feel about 10 years old climbing aboard.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

magilla0_2

Postby magilla0_2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:31 am

One of the latest acquisitions to the stable.
My old mans early 80's , at least pre 85, Hillman ProAtb. All the original bits on it still (except the seat), FIR rims right down to the biopace cranks. My brother seems to think when it was bought it cost over $1k .

koen

Postby koen » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Very nice! I keep my eye out for that kind of vintage. I would be thinking more 86/87 though especially if the biopace is original. Still a nice bike to ride on the trail :)

Edit.. just looked it up and biopace could've been a a bit earlier but it should be date stamped. Bikes were much more expensive back then. I bought a much lower spec atb in 1986 and it was $495 from memory. In 1989 the I remember 1988 Shogun Praire Breaker Team issue was reduced from around $1500 to $990. It had similar frame material to yours but with the better XT gear that was starting to be developed.

magilla0_2

Postby magilla0_2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Yeh pre 85, I know the old boy had it a year or two before I left home to start my apprenticeship.....it is possible the biopace was a later addition.
I cant get over how short it is in comparison to my current Trance

LG

Postby LG » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Interesting. I have this frame (now a bike) which the previous owners told me was a Hillman Alpine from 1985. Seems from the tubing sticker on yours that they are both Tange Champion MTB tubing and have the same bars. Assume they were selling diferent models at that time if you're confident on the purchase date, as yours looks a fair bit more 'modern' with the unicrown forks and the one piece chainstays.
More details on my bike in this thread http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... &start=325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LG = Low Gear

magilla0_2

Postby magilla0_2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:14 pm

LG I,m pretty certain about the age, I am sure I was riding his handmedown Roadmaster road bike while I finished school.
There is a bit of difference between the frames when I study it.
Cant find any serial number.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:46 pm

I'll have a look on my frame for a serial number when I get home from work. From memory it's on the lower lug at the front of the head tube. Will also see I can find a date code on the canti brakes which are about the only original parts likely to have one which came with the frame.

Oh and I wouldn't mind a photo of your decals if you don't mind, as I'd like to get some similar made up.
LG = Low Gear

magilla0_2

Postby magilla0_2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Alrighty, If i've read the date on the brakes right it must be 08 86, so maybe he bought the bike with the money he saved on the groceries after I left home
If you do get some decals made, I would like to grab a set too, the Tange sticker on the seat tube is 40w x 30h

The Hillman sticker the letters are 17mm high the word is 158mm long

The ProMtb letters are 24mm high the word is 147mm long

LG

Postby LG » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks for the photos, not sure what I'll do yet for decals (or when), they might end up vinyl cut letters. Will send you a pm when it happens. The serial number on mine is 4F08570 which I guess would indicate a 1984 build and the brakes had IB date code - so 1984.

I don't have a lot of specific knowledge of old MTB evolution, but unicrown on roadies to me indicates mid-late 80s (so 86 for yours seems right), while BMX forks were unicrown from the 70s, so guess MTB could be in between.
LG = Low Gear

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Uni crowns for MTB's where a mid 80's thing introduced by Charlie Cunningham and Tom Ritchey I believe. They didn't really take off on road bikes until the late 80's when factory production for a lot of brands moved to Taiwan.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 pm

It's about time I put something here.
Ciombola. only somewhat retro and is in desperate need of decarbonisation.
An Italian Aussie. Dedaccai tubing, chorus derailleurs and brakes, record cranks and hubs.
About 9kg, stiff and a joy to ride.
That's the way i got it six years ago. I'm the third owner I think.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Imwit wrote:It's about time I put something here.
Ciombola. only somewhat retro and is in desperate need of decarbonisation.
An Italian Aussie. Dedaccai tubing, chorus derailleurs and brakes, record cranks and hubs.
About 9kg, stiff and a joy to ride.
That's the way i got it six years ago. I'm the third owner I think.

Crikeys that is a nice looking bike.
I saw one like it in a bike shop window in South Australia recently.
Would look very nice with a Campagnolo seat stem.
Like This one !

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Scott2468 wrote:
I hope to have the decals to put on this weekend. Then Saturday week I think I will have to take it for a spin to the Sydney Classic Bike Show.
I finally got the decals and put them on. The yellow on green matches well.

I rode it into the Sydney Classic Bicycle Show. It got quite a bit of attention and comments. One bloke even asked me if I do restos for other people! I was on the look out for some classic campy wheels for it, but no luck.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Scott2468 wrote:I rode it into the Sydney Classic Bicycle Show. It got quite a bit of attention and comments. One bloke even asked me if I do restos for other people! I was on the look out for some classic campy wheels for it, but no luck.
nice to hear from the owner of the bike I was admiring today - it looks even better IRL. Sorry I didn't get the chance to tell you in person

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Very nice Scott

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:19 am

find_bruce wrote:I happen to have a 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite & a 1969 MG Midget.
A while back I had a 1970 Cooper S and my girlfriend at the time drove a 1958 Frogeye Sprite. Both moved on now. Selling the Cooper was one of my biggest mistakes... :(

LG

Postby LG » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:47 am

I've been spending a fait bit of time riding with my 15yo daughter who has an old 18 speed flat bar shogun mixte as her main bike. Her complete lack of desire to change from her preferred gear has led me to put this together for her. This frame is/was a Launceston McBain 'Maxwell Cycles' which has been resprayed to her colour choice with glitter sprinkled under the top clear coat, it was chosen for a SS as the rear spacing was only 115mm. Built with spare parts from the shed, sugino mighty cranks, exceltoo track hubs laced to wolber rims, KKT pro ace pedals, 105 brake levers and a set of SR randonneur bars. Looking to move to some dual pivot long reach callipers rather than the cheapie weinmanns if I can find some. Anyway, it seems to ride quite nicely so will see how she goes.
LG = Low Gear

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:55 pm

LG wrote:I've been spending a fait bit of time riding with my 15yo daughter who has an old 18 speed flat bar shogun mixte as her main bike. Her complete lack of desire to change from her preferred gear has led me to put this together for her. This frame is/was a Launceston McBain 'Maxwell Cycles' which has been resprayed to her colour choice with glitter sprinkled under the top clear coat, it was chosen for a SS as the rear spacing was only 115mm. Built with spare parts from the shed, sugino mighty cranks, exceltoo track hubs laced to wolber rims, KKT pro ace pedals, 105 brake levers and a set of SR randonneur bars. Looking to move to some dual pivot long reach callipers rather than the cheapie weinmanns if I can find some. Anyway, it seems to ride quite nicely so will see how she goes.
Is it possible to re-route the rear brake cable so that the outer can approach the brake from the bottom? That would look better and work better IMO.

Like Cycles Gitane's Dawes

Cheers,

Cameron

LG

Postby LG » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:27 pm

I agree it would look better but these specific brakes can't have the housing stop and the clamp swapped and were the only ones I have in the correct reach, so was stuck with coming in from the top. I have a couple peugeot mixtes' and they're great as the brake sits on a bracket between the twin tubes, so it's a direct straight cable run. I thought about drilling a hole in the chainstay bridge and mounting it there.

Now you've mentioned the cable run, it's all I can see when I look at the pic now :lol:
LG = Low Gear

PommieYeti

Concorde Colomb0

Postby PommieYeti » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Got this 1980's ish Concorde Columbo, from gumtree for $150 dont know if thats good or not(i am sure the guy picked it off the side of the road in them roadside collections as he selling stacks of old ish bikes ?) with the intention of restoring it to either A:Original B:Eddy Merckx Replica or C: CIOCC aparantly these frames were the same ?
Its fitted with a full Campagnolo groupset 14spd not sure what type/name(if anyone knows)it rides ok the only bad part is the ally seatpost is rammed in tighter than a tight thing (As I mentioned in the Shed on this forum) So when I get that free I intend to garnet blast the frame and repaint it in one of the above options, apply decals clear coat and refit the groupset which I hope to have polished up, but so far work seems to have got super busy so it may take a while :oops:

My Wifes blog http://kiristraveltales.wordpress.com/2 ... a-new-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Don't know anything about Campag, that's a pretty DT shift lever
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

PommieYeti

Postby PommieYeti » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Hopefully look better when all polished up :D
My Wifes blog http://kiristraveltales.wordpress.com/2 ... a-new-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;