Howmuchisitworth? Specialized S-Works Tarmac

Ross

Howmuchisitworth? Specialized S-Works Tarmac

Postby Ross » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:12 pm

A mate maybe selling his complete bike or possibly just the frame and I have lusted after it since he bought it! Just wondering what a fair price to pay is (not lowball price - he is a mate and it's in immaculate condition). It's probably a couple of years old now, but in immac condition, never crashed, recreational rider (charity rides etc). Built, serviced and cleaned very regularly by fastidious mechanic (same guy I use).

Bike is a as follows:
Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3
Ult Di2 10 speed group
Dura Ace C24 7900 wheels with GP4000S tyres
3T Ergosum or Ergonova alloy bars
3T stem (model?)
Thomson seatpost
Fizik Arione seat
Shimano DA or Ult pedals (not sure if they would be sold with bike)

I'd probably need to swap out bars and stem as I like narrow bars and shorter stem.

How much would complete bike be worth second-hand to buy? Or just the frame?
Remember it is SL3 and SL4 is current model and SL5 is probably due out in a few months.
And it is S-Works, not the "garden variety" Tarmac.
Not knocking standard Tarmacs, I have one already and an S-Works. Don't really need this other bike but N+1 is the always the answer...

eeksll

Re: Howmuchisitworth? Specialized S-Works Tarmac

Postby eeksll » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:42 pm

i went through this about 3 months (ish?) back. I found the tarmac s-works sl3 frame for $2k in Australia new.

Given that, I was would be willing to come up to $1.5k value for the frame if you know the frame is good. But otherwise, I would normally shell out the $2k for new than $1500 second hand. But I generally am not willing to pay what others are for second hand goods so tend to under-value them.

I can't find them on bike exchange anymore so how that affects the value is up to you.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:05 am

Having a look on eBay it seems complete bikes with similar but different components (SRAM Red or Campy) go for between $3K and $4K. Beauty of this bike is I know the history and 90% of the components are exactly what I want whereas another bike that I might buy from eBay/BikeExchange/BNA forum is unknown quality and is bound to have a bunch of components that I will need to swap out, adding expense to the transaction.

deadrat

Postby deadrat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:16 am

Everyone judges 'good value' differently. This bike 'for me' would be $2.5k, perhaps a bit more if you know the history. Frame alone $1k. Frame is just about to be two models behind current, 6770 now superseded , wheels nice. Nothing else on the bike stands out or is worth much.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:22 pm

You're a bit lowball with the frame value IMO. Replacement RRP is around $4K.

deadrat

Postby deadrat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Plenty of places a few months ago were selling SL4 s-works frame for 2800, brand new. eeksl pointed out the SL3's were at $2k, brand new. That alone should give you a gauge on 'value' of a used SL3 frame. Pay what you like though, it's your money.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:51 am

I bought an ex demo S-Works SL3 with R-Sys wheels and Red for $3800 a year ago, if it helps. Also in immaculate condition.

As you say, it is quite an old model now, SL5 can't be far away, so you wouldn't want to be over paying. That said, regardless of what this year's model is called, it is still an awesome bike. 14,000km later, and I still find mine spectacular every time I go for a ride.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 pm

In regards to a SL5 coming out, my very limited understanding is that the pro's tend to ride on the new frame from the beginning of the season and it gets released mid season in the stores. Seeing as they're still on SL4's, I don't believe a SL5 will be released this year for the 2014/2015 LBS season.

My understanding of the SL3 is that it was replaced/superseded pretty fast, largely on the feed back from the pro's. This is just what my LBS, a Specialized store, told me 18 months ago. I wasn't shopping, so no one was trying to sell me on anything, just shooting the breeze with the owner.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:28 am

Just got a message from my mate saying he is going to keep the bike and not sell it now. I tried to negotiate by saying I was flexible so would by just the frame or complete bike and could pay the money now and pick up whenever was convenient for him, no hurry, but he wasn't interested. No use me offering a bucket load of cash, he is quite well off with a high paying job - much better than mine - so doesn't need money. So it looks like I won't be getting it. :(

Slightly frustrating thing is I lined the deal of the original frame up for him in the first place. I could of bought it myself, but didn't really have spare money at the time. He was never that keen to buy it but in the end decided to do it and then hardly rides it! He has another S-Works SL3 of a different colour that has DA 9000 mechanical group which he prefers to ride.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Oh man, that is just mean!! Your willing to offer decent cash and ... AND he has another.

definitely low ball him when he wants to sell :)

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:45 am

I know of someone selling Brand New S-Works Tarmac SL3 HTC Frame Set Size 52 and S-Works Tarmac SL3 Frame Set white and Navy Size 52 for around 1500 - 1600 range. And I think (please don't quote me on this) it can come with warranty from the LBS he bought them (he'll arrange it)

FWIW, I got a Project Black SL3 Sworks frame off him with warranty from the same LBS.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Too small. I need a 54 or 56cm